Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spraoi festival 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Or people could just be responsible for themselves and that includes people serving alcohol abiding by "rules" in place with regard to serving alcohol. There's enough of the nanny state rubbish as it is - and by the way I rarely drink so this isn't coming from someone who doesn't want their alcohol consumption affected.

+1 That was exactly my point. Anyway, I'm just home from Spraoi now and so far so good, didn't see any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Enough alcohol talk, we already have a thread on that!!

So, how was the parade? - I didn't get in myself, was it good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Thought the parade was good, bit strange but it was alright, all the kids about seemed to enjoy it anyway. Glad to ave it back in the night time. IMO Spraoi this year in general hasn't been as good as previous years, just seems like not as much going on but maybe that's just me but good to see the town packed and hopefully local businesses doing well from it. Good atmosphere around too but what I don't like about these type of things is the amount of scumbags that crawl out of the woodwork.

Enough alcohol talk, we already have a thread on that!!

So, how was the parade? - I didn't get in myself, was it good?

I enjoyed it, so did everyone I was with, especially the kids, plenty of interaction with the kids and the performers! All the floats were finished to a high standard and the performers gave it socks! Was a stent length parade too, not too long that there was too many gaps or delays and not too short that ppl were disappointed!

I'll put more ****ty pics up in the morning! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Cake Man wrote: »
    Thought the parade was good, bit strange but it was alright, all the kids about seemed to enjoy it anyway. Glad to ave it back in the night time. IMO Spraoi this year in general hasn't been as good as previous years, just seems like not as much going on but maybe that's just me but good to see the town packed and hopefully local businesses doing well from it. Good atmosphere around too but what I don't like about these type of things is the amount of scumbags that crawl out of the woodwork.

Weather has killed a couple acts but they're doing all they can with the budget they have.
    They get very little in terms of grants etc and fcuk all from most local businesses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Highlight was casanova at the back of the bishop's palace, brilliant. I think sproi is clawing its way back. We just have to accept it wont be like it was 20 yrs ago with a pallet stage in front of every pub in the town with bands playing all day. Hope there will be some good pics of the parade, missed it as its was past the kids bedtime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Highlight was casanova at the back of the bishop's palace, brilliant. I think sproi is clawing its way back. We just have to accept it wont be like it was 20 yrs ago with a pallet stage in front of every pub in the town with bands playing all day. Hope there will be some good pics of the parade, missed it as its was past the kids bedtime!

Surely this needs to be addressed. (Not your kid's bedtime).

7pm is a much more sensible time to have a parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I suppose the features of the parade looked better in the dark at night.

If you're going to have it in daylight at 7pm, you may as well hold it during the day again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moans3536

Most of the acts on saturday were meant to be in the peoples park, when got to the park a note stuck to the bandstand saying all acts have been moved up town because of the weather.
    Well if it is raining in the park, surrely it would be raining up town.
    When we got to town there were hundreds of people around and look like nobody knew where anything was on as everything was moved. kids were disappointed that the crazy golf and other suff was cancelled. the two acts were happend to come across were very good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭looksee

From the Spraoi fb page - no acts at all in the Peoples Park today (Sunday), all acts in town. I don't think its so much the showers as the fact that the grass is waterlogged.

• Advertisement

Weather seems to be better today, hopefully it'll stay dry and clear skies for the fireworks tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

moans3536 wrote: »
    Most of the acts on saturday were meant to be in the peoples park, when got to the park a note stuck to the bandstand saying all acts have been moved up town because of the weather.
    When we got to town there were hundreds of people around and look like nobody knew where anything was on as everything was moved. kids were disappointed that the crazy golf and other suff was cancelled. the two acts were happend to come across were very good though.

The park is a big bog that holds every drop of water that falls on it. With the rain that has fell the last few days the park would of been ruined with thousands of people walking through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

moans3536 wrote: »

We went into town at about half 12 yesterday and went home about half 4, during our time in town we saw one street performance outside Boots, which was basically people shouting at each other (we didn't hang around so maybe it improved), and one band playing around the back of penneys. Like you, we just saw loads of people standing around and nobody really seemed to know what was going on. A lot of the festival stewards were young teenagers who appeared to have little interest other than standing around talking to their friends.

On the plus side, a lot of the restaurants and cafes seemed to be very busy so hopefully that will continue over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

I just moved back to my home town, Tramore last September and have'nt seen the Spraoi in years so I brought my boyfriend in last night (he's from Tipperary, never seen the spraoi), he was looking forward to all the performance's and expected a street festival etc.

From what I remember years ago, hundreds used to be on the streets, bands everywhere, kids everywhere, lights etc.

When we went in around 6pm last night, nothing was happening. A little band at the back of Penneys, a band at the Bishops palace and not as many people as before just hanging around. After the orchestra concert we wnt to see in Christ Church, we went to check out the parade.

It just wasn't the same anymore, don't get me wrong, the parade was well put together but there wasn't as good an atmosphere as years ago and not as much happening. My boyfriend was fairly disappointed as was I.

Also, I think shops and cafes should stay open until late. I think it would get them alot more business. I understand though, again, it all costs, due to wages and extra hours pay and security etc. Shame really.

@Bubs99 In fairness, things always seem better in our memories that things in front of us now. Also, the recession has hit Waterford very hard, shops can't stay open later, some live bands dont bother because what pubs can give them isn't worth their while, Spraoi funding has taken a hit, and also due to an influx of foreign nationals, a certain camaraderie has been lost replaced by an air of suspicion amongst locals compared to 10-15 years ago.

I still thought this years Spraoi has been very good so far. The weather has been better than was forecast. Unfortunately the Park turns to a bog whenever it rains so things have had to be moved around... this makes the printed schedules obsolete, but they're trying their best, it can't be easy. My advice would be keep in touch with Spraoi on Facebook or Twitter, as they are updating them regularly and enjoy the sun today! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Yeah, you're right Jason Todd.
    It's true, things seem to have been better years ago, our memories.
    It's such a shame.
    I really hope things will improve within the next decade for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

for today.

http://www.spraoi.com/sunday-schedule/

The new Sunday Schedule is as follows:

Walkabouts (Mall/Town) Les Goulus @ 14:00; Frolicked @ 14:30, 15:30, 16:30; Marcel So @ 15:00, 16:30;

Walkabouts (Luminarium) Dean Jacob @ 14:00, 16:30; Act Funny @ 14:00, 15:15, 17:00

The Mall – Tower Hotel End: Spraoi Drummers @14:00, Bad Taste Cru @ 14:45, Mario, Queen of the Circus @ 15:45, Bad Taste Cru @ 16:45, Mario Queen of the Circus @ 17:45, Spraoi Drummers @ 18:30.

The Mall (Centre): Compagnie Daad (La Cuisine Macabre) @ 14:15; Chess Exhibition @ 14:30 – 17:00; Compagnie Daad @ 16:00, Itchy Feet @ 16:30, 17:30.

The Mall (Lady Lane End): itchy Feet @ 15:15; Les Goulus @ 15:15, 17:15.

Blackfriers: Amber Jan @ 15:00; The Mandolas @ 16:00; Brendan Maher @ 17:00; Percoator @ 18:00; All We Are @ 19:00; Deaf Joe @ 20:00

Cathedral Square: September Girls @ 18:00; Melodica Deathship @ 19:00; Sweet Jane @ 20:00; Solar Taxi @ 21:00

The Maxol Plaza Stage: The Lace @ 15:00; Smoove & Turrell @ 16:15; St. John The Gambler @ 17:45; Reuban Richards & The Soul Train @ 18:45; Bolcan @ 20:15; Saw Doctors @ 21:15

Michael Street: Mad Hatters @ 14:00, 15:45; 17:30

The Mall: Back Up Theater @ 14:00; Monster Mural @ 15:00 – 18:00

Cathedral Square 1: Back Up Theatre @ 14:15, 16:00, 17:30; Teatro dei Piedi @ 15:00, 16:45

Arundal Square: Matthias Romiur @ 14:00, 15:45, 17:15; Mr. Marcus @ 14:45, 16:30

John Roberts Square: Journey Man Juggler @ 14:15, 16:15; Djuggledy @ 15:15, 17:00

Railway Square: Bash Street Theatre @ 14:15, 16:15; La Malette @ 15:30, 17:30

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Well I think it's been great and I'm about to head in for the rest of the day.

Agree with wmpdd3 about The Casanova Wave. He was really brilliant! So were Reuben Richards and his would band.I'm a huge Opus Pocus fan (had them play for my wedding) but I just don't really like Richie Hayes' voice or his "banter" so that put a bit of a downer on their gig for me. Been advised to check out Mr Marcus today.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

Fab day in town today the weather was great and there was a great atmosphere around. Back up theatre and Mr marcus were the highlights of the day for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭decies

Am on away fixture , any body got video of bloke doing queen act , heard he was good .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Jason Todd wrote: »
    and also due to an influx of foreign nationals, a certain camaraderie has been lost replaced by an air of suspicion amongst locals compared to 10-15 years ago.

?

:rolleyes:

Town seems much busier today, had to work so missed most of it. The quay looks like it will be full for the fireworks, should be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is anyone at the fireworks? I can hear them but can't see anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

So annoyed i did'nt get to go to this, can hear the fireworks from my house, each boom is making more angry :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Sorry if this has been asked but just wondering.. how is spraoi funded?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

mike65 wrote: »
    Is anyone at the fireworks? I can hear them but can't see anything.

Just saw them from our house. Really nice display. Wonder if they're ignited electronically or by a man with a fag.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭tom traubert

decies wrote: »
    Am on away fixture , any body got video of bloke doing queen act , heard he was good .

Saw him this afternoon. Very enjoyable for adults and kids alike. Search on YouTube for "Mario Queen of the Circus". You'll find plenty examples from different festivals. Would post links but am using a phone and am not as proficient as some.

Great day out today. Looking forward to enjoying more quantity year on year as the kids get hardier.

Long live Spraoi!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,545 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Fireworks were outstanding tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sorry if this has been asked but just wondering.. how is spraoi funded?

Grants, Sponsorship & Donations.
    All of which have taken big hits over the last few years

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Jason Todd wrote: »
    and also due to an influx of foreign nationals, a certain camaraderie has been lost replaced by an air of suspicion amongst locals compared to 10-15 years ago.

?

:rolleyes:

Town seems much busier today, had to work so missed most of it. The quay looks like it will be full for the fireworks, should be great.

Are you telling me you don't know anybody who doesn't give out about foreign nationals? Are you rolling your eyes at what I said because you think it's ridiculous? People do feel that way, sorry to tell you... I don't hold the same sentiments, but it's a fact of life.

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    Fireworks were outstanding tonight

Agreed, thought they were excellent and seemed to be longer and better than previous years. I'd say some of them could have been heard out in Tramore, 'twas like a bad day in Syria!

Overall, really enjoyed Spraoi this year.

Advertisement