Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet insurance question?

• 11-07-2012 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

My dog stopped eating properly since last Friday I had him at the vet on Monday, he had a temp and tender tummy, bloods were done, nothing unusual, long acting anti-inflammatory and antibiotic were given in the hopes that it was just a little tummy bug.

No real improvement so I brought him back in today, vet said the he could feel a build up of gas in the stomach. Booked him in for a x-ray tomorrow with the possibility of an ultrasound. The bill for the first night came to over €100 and tomorrows bill is obviously going to be costly as well especially if he has a blockage. Can I claim for both at the same time as they are both caused by the same issue, I have never made a claim before so any info would be helpful, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It sounds like it should be part of the same illness claim. The excess on our policy is 100 euro and our insurer pays the rest after that. Our vet claims directly from the insurer and we get an invoice showing what the vet claimed for. I think it depends on your insurer. Hope your dog gets better soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It's the same condition/claim imo. Who are you with OP - if it's Allianz the vet will do all the paper work for you? Also does your vet do direct claim - so you just pay the excess or do you have to pay the bill in full and then claim back? Our vet does direct claim and in the past when I was back and forth I paid the excess then they just got me to sign a claim form each time then sent the claim in at the end. If you're claiming yourself the vet will be able to give you an itemised bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Thank you for your reply and your well wishes. I had to pay upfront on Monday as it was only over €100 so there's not much to get back after €100 excess, I am not sure about tomorrow but it would be great if they claimed directly as I know it's all going to be expensive. Both treatments were part of th same illness so I don't see why they can't be claimed, no point in me paying €200+ with the dirt visit and the excess for tomorrow when I should only be paying €100.

Yes I am with Allianz, the vet filled out some paper work on Monday, told me to send it away, I decided to wait and see if he got better before sending it away to Allianz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You only pay one excess as it's all part of same condition. If your total bill comes to say 300 for both visits you just pay 100 and claim for the rest.

But the thing is I have already paid for the first visit in cash, tomorrow will be x-ray, possbiy an ultrasound and then a possible operation. So can I claim back if I have already paid?

• Advertisement

They'll definitely put it on the same claim so just one excess. Hold off sending anything in for the time being and they'll combine them all for you. Don't worry about the paperwork for now - you've enough to worry about with your poor baby being taken in! :( I hope he's back on his feet soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I am with Allianz too and with my vet I have to pay everything upfront. They then send the claim to Allianz.

I had a similar problem with my dog recently. He had bloods one day and a X-Ray the next. These payments were combined into 1 claim - I got a cheque back less €100 and 35% of the total cost (as Darby is over 8).

We then had to go to Dublin for a ultrasound. This was a separate claim from a different vets. Darby needed 2 ultrasounds - heart & adbhomen (sp) (full of gas). One ultrasound: €250. Two for: €340. With this claim there was no excess. Though I didn't get back 35% for this claim aswell.

There was a further claim for meds - no excess again but 35%.

tk123 wrote: »
    They'll definitely put it on the same claim so just one excess. Hold off sending anything in for the time being and they'll combine them all for you. Don't worry about the paperwork for now - you've enough to worry about with your poor baby being taken in! :( I hope he's back on his feet soon.

You are absolutely right, worrying about money is completely unimportant. I suppose I am just trying t o sort out the logistics bacause I know it is the only thing i can do. I know I will be in tears tomorrow handing him off to the vets and miserable waiting for that call. Everyone has been saying I was over-reacting but his is my little man knew there was something wrong :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    You are absolutely right, worrying about money is completely unimportant. I suppose I am just trying t o sort out the logistics bacause I know it is the only thing i can do. I know I will be in tears tomorrow handing him off to the vets and miserable waiting for that call. Everyone has been saying I was over-reacting but his is my little man knew there was something wrong :(.

meoklmrk91, I hope everything works out. When I had to bring Darby for an ultrasound I was worried - its only natural. My fella got through it and I'm sure your dog will too.

paultf wrote: »
    meoklmrk91, I hope everything works out. When I had to bring Darby for an ultrasound I was worried - its only natural. My fella got through it and I'm sure your dog will too.

Thanks Paul, much appreciate hearing from someone with a similar story and that had their dog come out if it. My fella was in the house alone on Friday night, big no no as he has seperation anxiety and he will rip the house to pieces. I came home and walked around to survey the damage, and there was literally nothing out of place, he hadn't even eaten the cat food! The vet had hoped it was just a tummy bug as he is still defecting and there is no vomiting but now thinks he may have eaten something which has caused a small blockage.

• Advertisement

Ah i know it's terrible leaving them in but they're in safe hands! I had to leave my guy in loads of times for X-rays on his legs and even leave him in Cork for his first op and come back to Dublin without him! :( Luckily for op #2 we were able to take him home that evening but every time I get to that sign on the N/M7 'Cork 238km' I get a lump in my throat! :p

Advertisement