Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone please give me some advice on australia ?

Options
  • 11-07-2012 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

im thinking on moving over to work but literly have no idea on how to go about doing it, i thought id join this site ive came across some really great info here off some kind people , im 19 years old , never done my leaving cert , ive worked in mcdonalds for a few months , motor cycle garage , car garage , done some painting and decorating and now im working in a family members restraunt , im originally from the uk , ive lived here for 9 years (british passport) .
    could someone please give me some advice on what opertunities i have ect,
    thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

I just did some research and i found out that you have definitely more opportunities in oz then ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 28 spyzer

lookitsme wrote: »
    I just did some research and i found out that you have definitely more opportunities in oz then ireland

but i wanna know how im gonna go about getting there and setting up with a job and how much its all gonna cost :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Australian High Commission in London visa information website (as you have a British passport)

http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/visa_info.html

Australian Government Department of Immigration & Citizenship

http://www.immi.gov.au/

From the information you've posted, it appears that you do not have a skill that would get you a working visa for Australia but check those websites and see if you can find any helpful information.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

when i went over i went with nothing. booked one week stay in a hostel and a few days later i got a job working in a bar, so if things go your way it can be easy. first step apply for a visa next step get your tickets. once you arrive in the airport you can organize a hostel from there, some hostels (backpackers) offer free collection. then go job hunting, i was there five years ago and it was easy to earn more then enough money to enjoy your stay there,

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

lookitsme wrote: »
    i was there five years ago and it was easy to earn more then enough money to enjoy your stay there,

That was 5 years ago, I imagine the immigration people are more aggressive with people these days because of the high rates of unemployment among (highly mobile) young people in Europe in the current economic climate.

I would expect that for a 19 year old arriving in Oz by himself today on a tourist visa, he would need to show that he had enough money to pay for accommodation and incidentals for the duration. Arriving with the price of a few nights in a hostel mightn't cut it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

coylemj wrote: »
    Australian High Commission in London visa information website (as you have a British passport)

http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/visa_info.html

Australian Government Department of Immigration & Citizenship

http://www.immi.gov.au/

From the information you've posted, it appears that you do not have a skill that would get you a working visa for Australia but check those websites and see if you can find any helpful information.

However you would be eligible for a working holiday visa for 12 months which can be extended by 12 months if you fo 3 months regional work.

Work is going to be low paid though - fruit picking, hospitality etc.

You are meant to have access to €5000 in funds. Australia is expenive, especially when you first arrive and don't have work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 spyzer

does anybody know how i could get sponsered by an employer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

spyzer wrote: »

Honestly, with your apparent lack of qualifications or skills in any specific area i think you'll be extremely lucky to be sponsered.

Your best bet is to go the working holiday route - you might find a job and employer then who would be willing to sponser you.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

With no experience or qualifications you haven't much of a hope mate. Best go for a working holiday visa

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

I lived in Perth,WA for twelve months.I went over on a WHV(Working Holiday Visa),as I had no skill for any other visa.Just a few pointers:
    • You need a minimum of $5000 in your account,not sure what that is in euro ATM.
    • You need to do a minimum of 88 days in regional Australia(Outback) to get a 2nd working holiday visa
    • You will find it hard to get work with your qualifications
    • Rent,food,clothes and drink are extremely expensive in Oz.
    Do you know anyone in Australia?If you want to get sponsored,you will need a skill from the following list http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/sol/#a

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 minsbarron

Hey spyzer. I'm in Melbourne only 6 weeks now, arrived on a working holiday visa (WHV). My fiance & I travelled together, he applied for lots of jobs over here & had one guy tell him to come over, he'd give him a trial and if both were happy, he'd be willing to sponsor. We going to the immigration office on thursday to start our enquiries. His trade is on the skill shortage list hence this option is open to us.

We got our visa in 24 hours from Visa First. Usit is more expensive I believe. Its about 250 euro. We had proof of the 5k in our accounts but they didn't ask for evidence of funds. Reaslistically you'll need a good bit of money for your first few weeks, no joke. Eating out and alcohol is very expensive as is cigarettes. Once you want out of your hostel and into a house-share you'll have to pay a months rent and a months bond so that takes a fair chunk out of your lump you came over with.

Start saving is my advice. Flights (return as they usually ask for proof of return flight so you don't overstay) are about e1k, $5k needed in savings, e250 for visa & about the same for travel insurance. Doesn't be long adding up.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

minsbarron wrote: »
    Start saving is my advice. Flights (return as they usually ask for proof of return flight so you don't overstay) are about e1k, $5k needed in savings, e250 for visa & about the same for travel insurance. Doesn't be long adding up.......
    You dont need a return flight and dont use visa first or anyone else for the visa, do it yourself online.

Read the FAQ thread

Advertisement