Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shelbourne FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Friday's game with Pats should be interesting. Will be heading down early for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

dan1895 wrote: »
    Friday's game with Pats should be interesting. Will be heading down early for once.

I am not looking forward to the match :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Don't even know if I'm going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Should go. Whole fanbase needs to unite on Friday and let that *insert profanity here* know he is not welcome for 90 minutes

CSF wrote: »
    Should go. Whole fanbase needs to unite on Friday and let that *insert profanity here* know he is not welcome for 90 minutes

Any plan of action? Anti- Matthews chants, banners, hanging flags upside down?

• Advertisement

I don't know myself. BD will probably have a display planned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Who/what is/are Reds Independent?

Bateman wrote: »
    Who/what is/are Reds Independent?

Independent fans group who produce the fanzine Red Inc (longest running fanzine in the league, for what it's worth) - they are also pretty much Briogaid Dearg - the grouping behind displays when they happen. There is a lot of crossover between RI and BD, but they claim to separate entities.

They are not affiliated in any with the club, or groups like the SSDG or the 1895 Trust - but there ARE people who claim membership of all 4.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Independent fans group who produce the fanzine Red Inc (longest running fanzine in the league, for what it's worth) - they are also pretty much Briogaid Dearg - the grouping behind displays when they happen. There is a lot of crossover between RI and BD, but they claim to separate entities.

They are not affiliated in any with the club, or groups like the SSDG or the 1895 Trust - but there ARE people who claim membership of all 4.

That sounds like a lot of unnecessary crossing over for a club.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The "Development Group" and the "Trust" probably should be one organisation.

The Ultras and the Fanzine Team could also probably be one organisation but one name could have more clout than the other I suppose

• Advertisement

Turning the back to the pitch, showing the naked backside? :pac:

Seriously, we did that in Dortmund many years ago.

The Ultras and the Fanzine Team could also probably be one organisation but one name could have more clout than the other I suppose

All 4 groups do very different things, so the crossover is fine IMO.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Turning the back to the pitch, showing the naked backside? :pac:

Seriously, we did that in Dortmund many years ago.

Need to do something that singles out Matthews.

Need to do something that singles out Matthews.

Agree with this, no point in abusing the players, many of whom are in their first year of senior football. Matthew's out chants before ko, at half time and at the final whistle but nothing but support for the team while the match is on?

Agree with this, no point in abusing the players, many of whom are in their first year of senior football. Matthew's out chants before ko, at half time and at the final whistle but nothing but support for the team while the match is on?

I would be in favour of 90 minutes of letting him know he is not welcome. But no abuse at the players.

Whatever will happen, I hope the volunteer stewards won't get right in the middle of the action :(

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Whatever will happen, I hope the volunteer stewards won't get right in the middle of the action :(

I doubt there will be a need for them to get involved.

I doubt there will be a need for them to get involved.

Let's put it this way, all the volunteer stewards are Shels fans, they suffer a fair bit, they way things are now. And even if I'm relatively new in Tolka (compared to others), I don't want the club going down the drain :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Who would take over though?

Who would take over though?
    Pete Mahon & John Gill have been the 2 most talked about. Ideally though, you'd just advertise it and see what applicants come in, I don't like this whole thing of having someone in mind straight away, see what is out there first.

Most important thing for the club right now is Matthews leaves.

"I'm not getting into that. They are damaging the club. I'm not getting into a shouting match with them because it's only going to go one way...and don't edit that."

He really isn't good at being a human being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Pete Mahon & John Gill

Jesus that's depressing. More of the same! At least go for a young manager not one that has been all around the league. Mahon isn't that bad but Gill doesn't inspire me at all. I remember when he was linked to the Bohs job and literally felt ill thinking about him managing us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

BOHtox wrote: »
    Jesus that's depressing. More of the same! At least go for a young manager not one that has been all around the league. Mahon isn't that bad but Gill doesn't inspire me at all. I remember when he was linked to the Bohs job and literally felt ill thinking about him managing us.

Mahon and Gill did a decent job at Pats. When they took over in 2009 we were a mess after Kenna's reign of terror but they helped stablise the club. Did well in 2010 and 2011 even if the teams did tend to run out of steam in the last third of the season. The football wont be brilliant but it was fairly effective. Going for a young manager at this stage is always a bit risky especially with the team Shels have.

I'd take Mahon, I'd take Gill - I'd take anyone bar Matthews, Collins or Dolan - the best man for the Shels job at the moment is "not Matthews".

Looks like any planned protest may be postponed.

Why's this now?

Why's this now?

Seemingly any protest was against the bannings of the three lads who chanted anti-Matthews in the bar last week, but Joe Casey has agreed to meet them now.

Weird I know

Seemingly any protest was against the bannings of the three lads who chanted anti-Matthews in the bar last week, but Joe Casey has agreed to meet them now.

Weird I know

It's weird alright. But maybe they were just afraid of the protest as such? it must look ridiculous to have some media coverage about it, even if it's only MNS.

I hope though, the bans will be reversed :)

Hope the bans are lifted. I don't agree that an U19 end of season presentation after the senior side's first win of the season was the place for such chanting but the chants themselves were relatively harmless. Much worse was being sung in the stand during the match (not necessarily by the same people).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Yes, check out the Reds Independent forum for details.

There's very little crossover between RI and BD actually.

SSDG and the Trust are completely different groups, with different ideas. BD and RI were set up for two completely different reasons, BD are Ultras and RI were set up when the Shels -v- Rangers match was moved to Tranmere due to fears from the Guards if it was played in Dublin.

Still a protest being planned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

What is the protest actually about, trying to get Matthews to walk without a pay off or for the board to sack him? I assume thats the only reason he isnt gone?

What's left on his contract?

Ebbs wrote: »
    What is the protest actually about, trying to get Matthews to walk without a pay off or for the board to sack him? I assume thats the only reason he isnt gone?

What's left on his contract?
    3 fans banned for chanting at Matthews in the club bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Tbh, they deserved the bannings.

SantryRed wrote: »
    They did? Do you know more to it than I do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Ah sorry, got that much. 3 Banned at underage presentation for abusing matthews, thought there was a separate protest for getting Matthews out but just happened three were banned before, nevermind thanks.

No they didn't - it was not an officially announced event, they just arrived into the bar for the evening, and the thing started.

Nobody knew what was planned for the evening, Matthews arrived into the bar and the chants started, perfectly normal under the circumstances.

The lads shouldn't have been banned, and the aspect of the protest about that is not going ahead any more, as Joe Casey, the chairman, has agreed to meet the three banned lads to get it sorted.

I've also been made aware that a protest against Matthews is still to go ahead. I will be partaking in this protest.

To whoever asked how long he has left, I think it's the rest of this season, plus next season.

• Advertisement

It could have been handled in a more decent manner. Just throwing out the three lads, is a bit harsh, imo.

Though they picked the wrong stage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

From what I heard they started chanting at Matthews, in a bar, during the 19s presentation. Regardless of the fact of what he has done, maybe have a few choice words, but to start chanting at him is ****ing ridiculous when not at a game.

From what I heard they started chanting at Matthews, in a bar, during the 19s presentation. Regardless of the fact of what he has done, maybe have a few choice words, but to start chanting at him is ****ing ridiculous when not at a game.
    He was in the club bar after the game, not in the shopping centre with his family. He knows full well he is not welcome around the club, but refuses to leave anyway. He needs to be reminded of the fact that he is not welcome at every possible opportunity.

You are being entirely disingenuous here. The lads did not know, in fact no-one apart from "club people" knew it was going to be the u19 presentation night in the bar that night.

So it's not as if they crashed a party with the express intent of ruining the night on the kids.

No, they were in the Club bar, after a match - when in walked a most unwelcome person, and he was let know he was not wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

SSDG and the Trust are completely different groups, with different ideas. BD and RI were set up for two completely different reasons, BD are Ultras and RI were set up when the Shels -v- Rangers match was moved to Tranmere due to fears from the Guards if it was played in Dublin.

ah the memories...... great trip that was even if we were disappointed it was moved. pity about tony mc carthy though

• Advertisement

Disappointing to see an ex-Red talking so much sh*t. Good to see him being called out on it though. http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2013/0521/451609-shels-should-lure-heary-from-bohs/#idc-container

any indication of a time frame for appointing the new manger?

any indication of a time frame for appointing the new manger?

Next week I'd guess, all but a done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Next week I'd guess, all but a done deal.

Who's getting it?

Welcome to Shelbourne Johnny McDonnell!!!

Welcome to Shelbourne Johnny McDonnell!!!

Good appointment in my opinion and a gent by all accounts unlike the last fella.
    Best of luck to him.

happy enough i suppose, i hadnt really made my mind up who i would have chosen personally. wonder will we see any faroes players in tolka in the next season or two?:D

The 1895 Trust Update: Survey launch.

Shelbourne FC and The 1895 Trust are delighted to announce the launch of the first Shelbourne FC Fans' Survey.

The aim of this survey is to collect information on the Shelbourne FC community and to query fans on the match day experience at Tolka Park. The results of this survey will be used by the club to improve our advertising and marketing strategy and to improve the match day experience of Shelbourne FC fans.

The survey is for anyone who has come to a game at Tolka Park, including lapsed fans and casual attendees. Shelbourne FC encourage fans to pass the survey on to those who are no longer regular attendees, so their views can be represented.

This survey is being produced with the help of The 1895 Trust. Survey design and data analysis is being performed on a voluntary basis by members of the Trust.

Fans can fill in the survey online by clicking https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/shelsfanssurvey .

Paper copies of the survey can be obtained from the 1895 Trust stall in Tolka Park.

Final results will be made available to the public after the survey closes on Sunday, June 30th.

http://shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=2516

If everyone could fill this in, and pass it onto other Reds, regulars or lapsed that would be greatly appreciated.

More than happy to participate in the survey. Well done and fair play to the lads who put it up :cool:

The 1895 Trust Update: Survey launch.

Shelbourne FC and The 1895 Trust are delighted to announce the launch of the first Shelbourne FC Fans' Survey.

The aim of this survey is to collect information on the Shelbourne FC community and to query fans on the match day experience at Tolka Park. The results of this survey will be used by the club to improve our advertising and marketing strategy and to improve the match day experience of Shelbourne FC fans.

The survey is for anyone who has come to a game at Tolka Park, including lapsed fans and casual attendees. Shelbourne FC encourage fans to pass the survey on to those who are no longer regular attendees, so their views can be represented.

This survey is being produced with the help of The 1895 Trust. Survey design and data analysis is being performed on a voluntary basis by members of the Trust.

Fans can fill in the survey online by clicking https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/shelsfanssurvey .

Paper copies of the survey can be obtained from the 1895 Trust stall in Tolka Park.

Final results will be made available to the public after the survey closes on Sunday, June 30th.

http://shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=2516

If everyone could fill this in, and pass it onto other Reds, regulars or lapsed that would be greatly appreciated.

Done.

Great way of getting feedback. I'll email a few past and present fans to do it too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement