Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple interviews, a trial and now limbo...

Options
  • 11-07-2012 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I've spent the last few years trying to get a job in the field I studied for. There are few positions around and I've been working in something unrelated just to have a job (I recently quit this in order to travel and to fully concentrate on finding work in my desired field as I could never get time off for interviews etc before).

A few weeks ago I finally got a call from an employer in another country (from a company I'd like to work for using the skills I learnt at university). I was delighted! Now I've had a phone interview, I've done some unpaid work long distance for them in order to demonstrate my skills, I've had a lengthy face-to-face interview (I flew over for this) and I flew back to undertake almost a week's work trial. At the end of the work trial the company mentioned they had actually hired someone for the original position I applied for but that they're trying to find a place for me on their team. They asked me to bear with them and that there's a very strong chance they'll hire me (they even said that there's a '90%' chance they will)- they just need to figure out the title of the position and the job description. I asked at the end of our final meeting when I should expect to hear back from them. They said 'early next week'. (One of the panel said they'd try and have an answer for me on Monday (9th July).

I sent thank you notes etc.

I didn't mention this to them - but I turned down two job interviews due to taking up the 'work trial' with them (I tried to rearrange the interviews but to no avail). They paid for flights / accommodation for the days I was there, but any further wages were not mentioned.

I haven't heard back at all yet. I feel like I'm in complete limbo.

Would it be really inappropriate to contact them tomorrow just to ask for an update on their time frame etc? (I am flying over at the weekend anyway to visit friends - which I had planned to do months ago- so it would be an ideal time just to move if they want me). I don't want to be a pest following up again, but I don't know if I have the job or not. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SueDenim

Hi Limbo,

I'm in a similar situation to yourself -- just wondering how you got on, if you heard anything in the meantime?

If you haven't already, definitely follow-up and chase them.

I intend to do similarly today ....

Hope you've heard something since your post.

Advertisement