Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

48 Go Conquer- Can this be legal??

• 11-07-2012 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I know 48 has been the subject of a number of threads here so I don't want to go into whether or not their company is being ageist. However they currently have a job vacancy that they're advertising that surely cannot be legal!
    Here's the ad, it's from their facebook page and their rep confirmed three times in the thread that it's a real vacancy, not a joke:
    482129_438949902812502_91944677_n.jpg

Is it legal to discriminate for a job position based on age? Even if this job ad turns out to be a joke to drum up some controversy the question still stands. The employment equality acts prohibit discrimination in employment on a number of grounds, one of which is age, so surely they can't get around that? But then again surely Telefonica aren't stupid an ad that's illegal, as mentioned in the past they must have a strong legal team behind them. Any one got any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

even the legality of only offer their service to 18-22 year olds is questionable, if genuine this is just straight up age discrimination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

If you really have to ask about this advert you should not be out in this b.ig bad world on your own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

even the legality of only offer their service to 18-22 year olds is questionable, if genuine this is just straight up age discrimination.
    Hmm ya that's exactly what I thought, I just thought they might have found some loop-hole as it's being advertised as a "holiday" job. A two month, short term contract and hours aren't exactly mentioned. Neither is pay for that matter. Can they maybe justify it by saying it's not technically a "job" more of an experience where you get paid in gigs, parties etc as well as some monetary compensation.
    nuac wrote: »
    If you really have to ask about this advert you should not be out in this b.ig bad world on your own
    That's a little harsh I think. Telefonica are a massive company and I would assume have a fairly comprehensive legal team so I can't imagine them advertising in a way that seems just flat out illegal without having some way to justify it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Discrimination, but legal, provided the discount is 'reasonable'.

Victor wrote: »
    Discrimination, but legal, provided the discount is 'reasonable'.

But surely that same logic can't be applied to a job advertisement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But surely that same logic can't be applied to a job advertisement?
    Agreed. Employment Equality Act -v- Equal Status Act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Hmm ya that's exactly what I thought, I just thought they might have found some loop-hole as it's being advertised as a "holiday" job. A two month, short term contract and hours aren't exactly mentioned. Neither is pay for that matter. Can they maybe justify it by saying it's not technically a "job" more of an experience where you get paid in gigs, parties etc as well as some monetary compensation.

That's a little harsh I think. Telefonica are a massive company and I would assume have a fairly comprehensive legal team so I can't imagine them advertising in a way that seems just flat out illegal without having some way to justify it.

I think Nuac was getting at the idea that the job advertised is not a real job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

How could anyone think thats a real ad?? Its got creeping on facebook as a job description for christs sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

These guys don't come across as funny or clever they just come across as douche bags. No one want a 08-knacker-number anyway.

ceegee wrote: »
    How could anyone think thats a real ad?? Its got creeping on facebook as a job description for christs sake

I dunno, have you heard their radio ads? They only need to appeal to a very specific target audience, hence why they advertise before home and away, they have a wheres-the-party-tonight app and advertise a lot through facebook. As for the "creeping on facebook" as you can see form the poster below they actually say "Dry arses, mingers, sleazebags...they all need to be rejected". It's about fitting in with the target audience and making themselves appear young and in touch and different.

615619033.jpg?key=640480&Expires=1342138663&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=1KmXtXSlICbFYKGdsuo9K9cBjoy-n6nSGINqWrPzhXBF-lEVj4cTFeHwe~1xmVn5k6BgXGP9VbZMNdOfnvtIJGU5W5ZAopCFOxmC120FHMLCvLB9caJm7EOUca9EBirZfN78QJoIwjyKkVBSl0WMssDTXHArAZCfCC3loVTUYlM_

It's also being advertised on their twitter
    If it's a publicity stunt seems like an awful lot of effort to go to?

• Advertisement
Advertisement