Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What annoys you most about boards.ie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EdanHewittt

What grinds my gears the most:

The menu at the top, with all the board sections.
    Where did they get that?
    Seems to me like they yanked it from DHTMLdrive when it was a popular site.

You can have all that functionality in three lines of CSS3 these days, and looking much better too. Designer should probably see:
    http://cl.ly/I128

=

gradientsmotherfucker.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Where did they get that?

You can have all that functionality in three lines of CSS3 these days, and looking much better too. Designer should probably see:

Fcukin nerds and their jibberish. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I hate the fact that most of the people who I would consider to be excellent posters are also the ones who I would gladly kick all the way to Cork and back at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Where did they get that?

http://cl.ly/I128

=

Yeahhhhhhh........what he said :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Religous threads - Always the same, always ends in a stalemate until the next thread.

Wikipedia Posters - Trying to act smart by reading about topics on wikipedia, then trying to post as if they know what they're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I hate
    I hate people who dislike an awesome free service such as boards.ie

If you don't like it, piss off ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

People who use the words "begrudger" and "West Brit".

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Grammer Nazi, Fcuk off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭lubie76

That it's blocked by my place of work! Only so long you can squint at an iPhone!

• Advertisement

Condescending fcukers who say "first world problem".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I remember at a place of work they had it blocked aswell no way you could get in ever!But there was a feature you could use at lunch break when you put in coins into the side of a three computers,you could get some time on it,and it would go off again,and you could put in another coin..but you never had longer than half an hour for break....money pinching feckers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I hate the fact that it's a weeny bit addictive and there is other sh1t I'm supposed to be doing. On the other hand, it gives me somthing to do when I get bored looking at invoices and statements etc..

The lack of Meme knowledge going on around here astounds me.

I know AH is not exactly 4chan, but people must be aware of things like this:
    http://cl.ly/I1HT

This has me thinking:

Are the After Hours crowd branching out into other areas of the board to show off their mad skillz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

This place is a lot, lot better than one site I visit. Here you get a fair chance. Other places, you don't. As for the point you made about challenging the mods, yeah, so? It's against the rules, PM them.

It's by far the worst of any forums i visit regularly (and the ones i visit rarely descend into farce, the mods only weed out the real trolls and let the banter and discussion flow).

The case i'm talking about was not challenging them in a confrontational way, but more of a 'that's a bit unnecessary'. The fact that 4 or 5 people who posted felt the same was evidence of this.

I was once branded by a mod via PM as 'a troll' and that i made 'purile comments' in a thread where i offered a perfectly logical, polite and articulate opinion that was from the opposite side of the spectrum of the prevailing consensus of the thread. What is the point of discussion if everyone agrees and anyone that upsets the status quo is infracted? I also pointed out via PM that why should i tolerate being branded these things in a manner that was tantamount to intimidation on the mod's part when i was simply putting forward a different side of the debate. They could never justify that one as i'm still waiting on a reply.

The swimsuit contests. Damn I hate them.

• Advertisement

Dónal wrote: »
    The swimsuit contests. Damn I hate them.

It's more the fact that I never win that upsets me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

NAGGERS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

It's by far the worst of any forums i visit regularly (and the ones i visit rarely descend into farce, the mods only weed out the real trolls and let the banter and discussion flow).

The case i'm talking about was not challenging them in a confrontational way, but more of a 'that's a bit unnecessary'. The fact that 4 or 5 people who posted felt the same was evidence of this.

I was once branded by a mod via PM as 'a troll' and that i made 'purile comments' in a thread where i offered a perfectly logical, polite and articulate opinion that was from the opposite side of the spectrum of the prevailing consensus of the thread. What is the point of discussion if everyone agrees and anyone that upsets the status quo is infracted? I also pointed out via PM that why should i tolerate being branded these things in a manner that was tantamount to intimidation on the mod's part when i was simply putting forward a different side of the debate. They could never justify that one as i'm still waiting on a reply.

I can't (for obvious reason) say the name of the site I'm talking about but trust me, the fact you can even debate with a mod and actually get told what mod infracted you is amazing. There's even a simple procedure to argue your case, too. Honestly, 9/10 times here the mods don't even give a damn about you. I really don't think this is too bad of a place at all. Except the prision forum, they have meanies in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

NAGGERS.

Oh look a nagger man. We don't like your type around here, nagger man!! :mad:

I hate this:

The behind the scenes 'raids', or 'storms' that happen on threads.

Some members know each other very well on IM / Facebook / Skype, etc

And then plan an attack on a less popular thread.

By attack, I mean they all pounce on the thread and troll the living day lights of the OP, and nobody is the wiser when this happens.

Try to plan a raid over PM, and you will be found out very quickly.

(Private Messages are not actually private. They are read by Mods)

• Advertisement

:pac:

No they can't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Okay the most annoying thing about some stuff that happens on boards,is when someone gets into a two paragraph long rant..i mean im really not going to bother,and just scroll on ffs..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

Go there and post. :)

Joking aside, only admins can read them. I forget if all mods can read them if they're reported. If you're getting in trouble, someone reported it. Oh and they're not private. If you call me a rude name in a PM, I report it and then an admin looks at it. They're just not public (unless there's a reason to make them public like disputing a mod decision).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

I hate this:

By attack, I mean they all pounce on the thread and troll the living day lights of the OP, and nobody is the wiser when this happens.

Got an example??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'd thank this only for I'd be accused of licking your bumhole. :p

Joking aside, only admins can read them.

No they can't!

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Got an example??
    Keith, give me about ten minutes and ignore the extreme amount of new users posting in this topic in that time.
    No they can't!
    Um, I dunno if you're completely annoyed and are serious but I thought only admins can read them without them being reported?

Where To wrote: »
    I'd thank this only for I'd be accused of licking your bumhole. :p

I think that only applies to mods who post as mods in their own forums. I think. Who knows :D

Keith, give me about ten minutes and ignore the extreme amount of new users posting in this topic in that time.

Um, I dunno if you're completely annoyed and are serious but I thought only admins can read them without them being reported?

Only the tech lads can but it involves messing with the database so not worth it unless there is legal requirement to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Don't be daft mods cannot read your pm unless you pm them of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

I hate this:

What?
    Is it the new world order coordinating these attacks :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Hurry up, CSIs on soon.

(the PM thing is off topic, so drop it)

Nah, admins can't read them. They can be accessed (with a lot of work) if they are needed - as in for evidence in a legal case or the likes - but admins don't have access to your pms. You're safe ;)

Edit: Sorry Mr. Mod, simultaneous posting FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

I can't (for obvious reason) say the name of the site I'm talking about but trust me, the fact you can even debate with a mod and actually get told what mod infracted you is amazing. There's even a simple procedure to argue your case, too. Honestly, 9/10 times here the mods don't even give a damn about you. I really don't think this is too bad of a place at all. Except the prision forum, they have meanies in there.

Really? I'd love to see this site, sounds like something straight out of '1984'!

To be honest, I think that kind of stuff should be the bare basics of what you can do on a forum. Again, any sites i visit this is certainly the case.

Whilst i've only had that one run in with a mod myself (and the mods in most of the threads that i frequent are doing a good job), there's just too much thread locking and stuff like "this is the Coughing thread, no discussion of Sneezing (that's what the Sneezing thread is for) will be tolerated and any deviations from this will result in an infraction". An extreme example, but you get my drift.

Again, over-zealous mods spoil the ebb and flow of any forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

That the user 'Boards.ie' decides what post gets post of the day. I could have sworn i've seen posts with more thanks than the original post of the day. I could be wrong in saying that how POTD gets decided.

Not actually annoyed over such a petty thing though, just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

That the user 'Boards.ie' decides what post gets post of the day. I could have sworn i've seen posts with more thanks than the original post of the day. I could be wrong in saying that how POTD gets decided.

Not actually annoyed over such a petty thing though, just curious.
    I've never really had much bother with POTD to be honest. I've found the thread of the day is always dull in the handful of times I check it.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I've found the thread of the day is always dull in the handful of times I check it.

I'm pretty sure that's just randomly chosen. Could be wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

You know what annoys me ? When the fcukin thing goes down for about 10 seconds or a page wont load when I'm trying to get in a quick witty post on a new thread.

Thinking on it I'm embarrassed as fcuk as its quite possibly the most pathetic thing an individual can do. But sure as hell next time I get a 503 or 404 or whatever the hell it is when I'm trying to get my spake in I'll be hittin the roof again. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just to be absolutely clear on this so nobody continues to harbour any incorrect assumptions:

No they're not, unless they're actually addressed to a particular mod.
    Joking aside, only admins can read them. I forget if all mods can read them if they're reported. If you're getting in trouble, someone reported it. Oh and they're not private. If you call me a rude name in a PM, I report it and then an admin looks at it. They're just not public (unless there's a reason to make them public like disputing a mod decision).

Admins can't read PMs not addressed to them either, unless one is reported.

Nope, please see above.
    Only the tech lads can but it involves messing with the database so not worth it unless there is legal requirement to do so.

This is true, but as Gummy Panda states, it's a huge amount more trouble than it's worth, so unless the Gardaí or courts order it there'd want to be a massively compelling reason before the tech guys will even consider mucking around with the PM database. So far I don't think we've ever actually had anything that we'd consider massively compelling, which means that you're all very well behaved or incredibly boring. :P

As for what annoys me most, that's easy - posters. My job would be so much easier without them. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

More intriguing than annoying: when someone I've never come across visits my profile (and I haven't started a thread in a long time so it can't always be put down to accidently clicking on my name instead of the thread title).

Who are you and why are you looking at me?

What annoys me most:

(And not just on Boards.ie)

Is when after being a long time contributor to this a forum, and a Mod bans you on a whim.

My point being, there is no such thing as a valid reputation model that exists on the Internet. I've been around many of the Mega-Forums and have seen legends of the board, some of them Mods themselves, being banned by Super Mods, and the Super Mods being banned by the Admins.

Anyone thinking of trying to make a name for themselves, or otherwise climb the ranks of a forum is wasting their time.

This is the reason people setup their own blogs, etc. They simply hate having to walk on eggshells every-time they post, regardless of how many posts they have, or their 'rank' on the forum.

So my proposal is this:
    Keep the members that contribute, and add to the discussion.
    Be suspect of anyone who is a subtle / blatant troll.
    Be suspect of anyone detracting from the conversation.

That is all.

More intriguing than annoying: when someone I've never come across visits my profile (and I haven't started a thread in a long time so it can't always be put down to accidently clicking on my name instead of the thread title).

Worse is when people are hidden and view your page. F**king teases.

Worse is when people are hidden and view your page. F**king teases.

In fairness, I do do that for perving for pictures, but I at least have the decency to go invisible so as not to freak out the pervee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭kessler182

Religous threads... - need I say more!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

How? I need to know for...uhhhh... modding purposes.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

How? I need to know for...uhhhh... modding purposes.

Ignore what I said earlier. PM sent. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Admit it, this doesn't annoy you, you actually like it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Just had to have look now :D

kfallon wrote: »
    Admit it, this doesn't annoy you, you actually like it ;)

It depends who's looking. Sometimes it's someone I like, or else someone who's recently been posting in the same thread as me.

But sometimes I have no idea who the person is, and it genuinely confuses me. I honestly can't think of why someone who make an effort to go to my page.

The worst is the occasional time a notorious troll visits my profile, and I worry they're going to cyberterrorise me. :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement