Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What annoys you most about boards.ie?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

I Hate it when people edit their posts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

What I hate is watching a good poster go downhill. I've noticed a few folk recently who used to talk a bit of sense but are now coming out with the usual rabble bull****.
    What annoys me most:

(And not just on Boards.ie)

Is when after being a long time contributor to this a forum, and a Mod bans you on a whim.

My point being, there is no such thing as a valid reputation model that exists on the Internet. I've been around many of the Mega-Forums and have seen legends of the board, some of them Mods themselves, being banned by Super Mods, and the Super Mods being banned by the Admins.

Anyone thinking of trying to make a name for themselves, or otherwise climb the ranks of a forum is wasting their time.

This is the reason people setup their own blogs, etc. They simply hate having to walk on eggshells every-time they post, regardless of how many posts they have, or their 'rank' on the forum.

So my proposal is this:
    Keep the members that contribute, and add to the discussion.
    Be suspect of anyone who is a subtle / blatant troll.
    Be suspect of anyone detracting from the conversation.

That is all.

Surely that just means that they enforce the rules, regardless of who the transgressor was?

No point in looking to get popular just so you can break the rules and get away with it, save that for real life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

What I hate is watching a good poster go downhill. I've noticed a few folk recently who used to talk a bit of sense but are now coming out with the usual rabble bull****.

You mean tbh, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

akura wrote: »
    I Hate it when people edit their posts

I hate editing my own posts!! I hate the look of an edited post, with the message down at the bottom of the post. Sometimes I'll notice a typo in a post well after the ninja-edit window. If I deem it unimportant I'll leave it there to avoid editing the post, but it'll eat me up a little inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

It depends who's looking. Sometimes it's someone I like, or else someone who's recently been posting in the same thread as me.

But sometimes I have no idea who the person is, and it genuinely confuses me. I honestly can't think of why someone who make an effort to go to my page.

The worst is the occasional time a notorious troll visits my profile, and I worry they're going to cyberterrorise me. :(
    But you're the King of Moo.

You don't hear HRH QE11 complaining every time a stranger gawks in the gates of Buck Palace do ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

on the flip side, some posters get better

Where To wrote: »
    But you're the King of Moo.

You don't hear HRH QE11 complaining every time a stranger gawks in the gates of Buck Palace do ya?

I understand that members of the public might want to pay a visit, but I don't want them cluttering the bottom-righr corner of the page with their garish, one-word usernames that are a jumble of capitals, lower-case letters and numbers.

They should have the foresight to go invisible and leave that corner for a higher class of poster.

*snobby smiley*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I like boards, a lot. It's like a girl that you really like spending lots of time with, might rattle the odd time, gives you a few laughs, but you will never truly love her - yet she takes up maybe three to four hours of your day, every day, regardless if you're on holidays or at Christmas, Easter or any other celebration. If I spend a day away from boards I feel like something is missing in my life but an comforted by the fact that there will be 100+ email thread notifications on my return.

I've made a good few friends on boards, mostly on the motoring forum and have learned lots about various subjects and opened my eyes to stuff I was previously adverse too. My only complaint is that I could be far more productive in work withouth it. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

abortion threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I don't have a problem with boards what so ever, It can give me news, It can give me a laugh and It can Educate me in a way other media outlets don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I identify with northern Nationalists/Catholics, coming from a northern Catholic family, so it really chaps my ass when southern (particularly) quasi-unionists start spouting one-sided bollocks about the north without placing it in a wider context.

In fact, I almost feel like its my duty to intervene in these threads to highlight the hypocrisies and double standards of such posters. What's unusual is that some of the posters who become involved normally have a high standard of posting which plummets to the point of laughable when it comes to commenting on the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Lack of boobs:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I hate when the plain clothes Mods come for you in the night, wearing their shiny suits dragging you off to somewhere dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The endless Religion, Atheist debate in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EdanHewittt

Super annoying:

When posters get away with murder. They break the Rules / TOS / Charter on a daily basis, and The Mods do ñada about it.

I'm not about to hunt down the offending threads / topics, because that would be mini-modding.

But there is widespread affliction to the rules that seemingly goes un-noticed around here. Makes me wonder who's in on it?

Is there an informal staff meeting that happens on private IRC channels, where the mods all agree that poster X is okay. "He's one of us" kinda thing.

I hope not.

It's so evident on here, it makes me not want to contribute. Such rampant racism and blatant disregard for manners, or even a modicum of civility.

Sure, the Irish Way is slagging each other off, but this is taken advantage of, far too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

LordSmeg wrote: »
    You know what annoys me ? When the fcukin thing goes down for about 10 seconds or a page wont load when I'm trying to get in a quick witty post on a new thread.

Thinking on it I'm embarrassed as fcuk as its quite possibly the most pathetic thing an individual can do. But sure as hell next time I get a 503 or 404 or whatever the hell it is when I'm trying to get my spake in I'll be hittin the roof again. :o
    shoddy internet service provider?
    cant remember the last server error have had off here,and we are forced to stick with an absolute shyt ISP.

kingofmoo,
    sometimes when clicking on threads it directly goes to the thread starters profile page-that might be the cause.

-original topic.
    #used as a mocking joke am not arsed about it;but users using mentaly retarded as a descriptive insult against neurotypical users who do or say something ridiculous,which at the same time has a knock on effect slur on intelectualy and learning disabled people, its more of an insult to us than to those its aimed at;for one we probably wont be found doing the ridiciulous sht that the typicaly high functioning target does.

#sockpuppeting.
    dont care about sockpuppeting in general,if its kept honest.
    its when people use it to pretend to be all different personas,are full of more bull turd than a slurry tank,its worse when people invest their support,trust and friendships in these only to find out it was all a made up con.

#spelling/grammar/language nazis.
    not those who only do it to people who ask for help,or those who correct in their heads, am refering to those who take it upon themselves to bitch at someone for their spelling/ grammar/language.
    mine is affected by issues caused by global learning disability,classic autism,regular lifelong mild post brain injury,after seizures [have far less vocab available],night medication...using a spelling checker isnt possible in mine because of information procesing and memory difficulties.
    there are a lot more medical and health reasons why people are not perfect post writers, we go through our lives being belittled for our issues and we come to places like boards to get away from real life bollox like that,we dont need people who havent got a clue about our RL making snide judgements.

It's not something that annoys me really, but something that I find amusing;

People who go on and on and on about how crap boards is, whilst posting...on boards....

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

The dole bashing threads really bug me sometimes.
    I don't mind that people have very strong opinions one way or another but some of the comments that can be made about people on the dole can be truly stomach churning.
    Its as though people on the dole don't count as human beings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mattjack wrote: »
    I hate when the plain clothes Mods come for you in the night, wearing their shiny suits dragging you off to somewhere dark.

The Bumming Squad. Sore times, sore times indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

on the flip side, some posters get better

Thanks!

:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Okay the most annoying thing about some stuff that happens on boards,is when someone gets into a two paragraph long rant..i mean im really not going to bother,and just scroll on ffs..
    Best bet is put me on ignore then C. Save your scrolling and trackpad wear. :o:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I hate it when a mod says something and then lots of lick arses thank the post just because it was a mod that said it.

This.

The ridiculous cliquishness that goes on certain debates. If you're confident enough in your opinions you don't need 100 people thanking you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I hate this:

The behind the scenes 'raids', or 'storms' that happen on threads.

Some members know each other very well on IM / Facebook / Skype, etc

And then plan an attack on a less popular thread.

By attack, I mean they all pounce on the thread and troll the living day lights of the OP, and nobody is the wiser when this happens.

Try to plan a raid over PM, and you will be found out very quickly.

(Private Messages are not actually private. They are read by Mods)
    What annoys me most:

(And not just on Boards.ie)

Is when after being a long time contributor to this a forum, and a Mod bans you on a whim.

My point being, there is no such thing as a valid reputation model that exists on the Internet. I've been around many of the Mega-Forums and have seen legends of the board, some of them Mods themselves, being banned by Super Mods, and the Super Mods being banned by the Admins.

Anyone thinking of trying to make a name for themselves, or otherwise climb the ranks of a forum is wasting their time.

This is the reason people setup their own blogs, etc. They simply hate having to walk on eggshells every-time they post, regardless of how many posts they have, or their 'rank' on the forum.

So my proposal is this:
    Keep the members that contribute, and add to the discussion.
    Be suspect of anyone who is a subtle / blatant troll.
    Be suspect of anyone detracting from the conversation.

That is all.
    Super annoying:

When posters get away with murder. They break the Rules / TOS / Charter on a daily basis, and The Mods do ñada about it.

I'm not about to hunt down the offending threads / topics, because that would be mini-modding.

But there is widespread affliction to the rules that seemingly goes un-noticed around here. Makes me wonder who's in on it?

Is there an informal staff meeting that happens on private IRC channels, where the mods all agree that poster X is okay. "He's one of us" kinda thing.

I hope not.

It's so evident on here, it makes me not want to contribute. Such rampant racism and blatant disregard for manners, or even a modicum of civility.

Sure, the Irish Way is slagging each other off, but this is taken advantage of, far too often.

A weird bunch of posts for some one with a mere 59 posts to his name. Sounds like a re-reg.

token101 wrote: »
    This.

The ridiculous cliquishness that goes on certain debates. If you're confident enough in your opinions you don't need 100 people thanking you!

who can control who thanks them?

I don't see cliquishness on boards, Ive seen a lot more of that on other sites.

who can control who thanks them?

I don't see cliquishness on boards, Ive seen a lot more of that on other sites.

There are certain posts where people are clearly angling for the validation of others. The thread a while back that was started by a single parents action group springs to mind! I don't use any other forums so couldn't say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

A weird bunch of posts for some one with a mere 59 posts to his name. Sounds like a re-reg.

Way off topic but it could just be a lurker. I've lurked boards years. Or they could have a closed account and just opened a new one. There was a discussion about it, it's perfectly fine.

Please don't ban me for off topic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

I hate the way Shopoholic and Nothingbetter2do always derail threads with their flirting and then thank every post each other make :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

People who don't use proper grammar in their posts, annoys me to no end.

And in conjunction with that; the rule against ‘Grammar Nazi's’ on After Hours, it is a ridiculous rule, who's going to tell these people to cop on and use proper sentences and words if we ban it? It's just inviting anarchy!

Nailz wrote: »

And in conjunction with that; the rule against ‘Grammar Nazi's’ on After Hours, it is a rediculous rule, who's going to tell these people to cop on and use proper sentences and word if we ban it? It's just inviting anarchy!

And in conjunction with that; the rule against ‘Grammar Nazi's’ on After Hours, it is a rediculous rule, who's going to tell these people to cop on and use proper sentences and word if we ban it? It's just inviting anarchy!

So tempted...!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Such a strange conspiracy theory...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Scruffles wrote: »
    shoddy internet service provider?
    cant remember the last server error have had off here,and we are forced to stick with an absolute shyt ISP.

Its shoddy on occasion which is a whole other level of annoying. But the times I'm talking about have been problem on Boards side I'm sure of it. Yesterday it was down for a few minutes wasnt it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Looking for openness in the way the internet trundles along, yet being more than a little controlling on site, somewhat contrary.

'Uncivil' bannings and the somewhat forced gentileness.

Infractions of any colour, never ever auto deleting from your profile\(proper expiration).. A bit more carrot and less stick wouldn't go amiss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Is touch boards not working for anyone else?

Amalgam wrote: »
    Looking for openness in the way the internet trundles along, yet being more than a little controlling on site, somewhat contrary.

'Uncivil' bannings and the somewhat forced gentileness.

Infractions of any colour, never ever expiring.. A bit more carrot and less stick wouldn't go amiss.

Thats deep man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Good spot! Thanks a million, the phone's finger mashing is a pain at the best of time. Now edited. :)

Good spot! Thanks a million, the phone's finger mashing is a pain at the best of time. Now edited. :)

You need to go back and pluralise word to words.

Since the whole closed account option thing came in re-reg is no longer a dirty word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Two things, one being the unbelievable level of cynicism and right wing "justice" sh!te (guy probably deserved to get the crap kicked out of him, etc - ignore the fact that it was illegal etc)

Secondly the ridiculous level of moderation, specifically with silly things like asking for "medical advice" (IE asking what brand of Vitamin C is best for a cold, I mean come on nobody's getting sued over that), and the refusal to allow anything controversial. I see a thread with a controversial title here and I literally know it'll be locked in X amount of time, most recent example being about the guy who was allegedly raped in Belfast. Scared of a decent argument, guys?

Still a great website though, no question.

most recent example being about the guy who was allegedly raped in Belfast. Scared of a decent argument, guys?

A decent argument? it was locked because of the amount of gobshytes thinking male rape is amusing somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Yeah seriously, the quality of modding on this site is atrocious in places. I've seen them stomp about over everything and anything, almost on a total whim. Some threads are threatened with infractions and locks for making tiny deviations. I recall another thread where four or five posters got threatened with bans because they challenged the mods over why they were making their presence felt when it was totally unnecessary.

It really spoils reading the forums at times and makes me less inclined to post, as it's not worth the agro :(
    It's by far the worst of any forums i visit regularly (and the ones i visit rarely descend into farce, the mods only weed out the real trolls and let the banter and discussion flow).

The case i'm talking about was not challenging them in a confrontational way, but more of a 'that's a bit unnecessary'. The fact that 4 or 5 people who posted felt the same was evidence of this.

I was once branded by a mod via PM as 'a troll' and that i made 'purile comments' in a thread where i offered a perfectly logical, polite and articulate opinion that was from the opposite side of the spectrum of the prevailing consensus of the thread. What is the point of discussion if everyone agrees and anyone that upsets the status quo is infracted? I also pointed out via PM that why should i tolerate being branded these things in a manner that was tantamount to intimidation on the mod's part when i was simply putting forward a different side of the debate. They could never justify that one as i'm still waiting on a reply.
    Really? I'd love to see this site, sounds like something straight out of '1984'!

To be honest, I think that kind of stuff should be the bare basics of what you can do on a forum. Again, any sites i visit this is certainly the case.

Whilst i've only had that one run in with a mod myself (and the mods in most of the threads that i frequent are doing a good job), there's just too much thread locking and stuff like "this is the Coughing thread, no discussion of Sneezing (that's what the Sneezing thread is for) will be tolerated and any deviations from this will result in an infraction". An extreme example, but you get my drift.

Again, over-zealous mods spoil the ebb and flow of any forum.
    Jesus, wait and I'll call the lads and tell them to stop holding that gun to your head forcing you to use this site.

It'll be a real shame to see you go but I'm sure we'll soldier on without you somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

When posters have petty grudges against each other, they think they are being all subtle and sly when they try and land a dig but in reality they just look small and sad.

I have the world of respect for posters who just raise above it, it annoys the hell out of the protagonist, ultimately leading to their demise.

A decent argument? it was locked because of the amount of gobshytes thinking male rape is amusing somehow.

No it wasn't. It was a debate about jokes being jokes. Totally ridiculous to just delete every post and start warning people because you don't agree with a point.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Jesus, wait and I'll call the lads and tell them to stop holding that gun to your head forcing you to use this site.

It'll be a real shame to see you go but I'm sure we'll soldier on without you somehow.

^^^ He's distracted lads, soon as he goes for the phone we'll all make a break for it !!

No it wasn't. It was a debate about jokes being jokes. Totally ridiculous to just delete every post and start warning people because you don't agree with a point.

Except it was in a thread about a man being raped.
    AH is all about humour for the most part, fine. But seriously, a thread about rape being a joke that started of as somewhat fairly serious is obviously going to be f**king closed.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79682170&postcount=92

Maybe you missed it, that's the last post in the topic. Says it perfectly why it was closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

When you skip from page 1 of a thread to page 10 and find that it's just turned into another conversation between a few members......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

After Hours.

Nate

Except it was in a thread about a man being raped.
    AH is all about humour for the most part, fine. But seriously, a thread about rape being a joke that started of as somewhat fairly serious is obviously going to be f**king closed.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79682170&postcount=92

Maybe you missed it, that's the last post in the topic. Says it perfectly why it was closed.

No, I didn't miss anything but I just happen to disagree.

No, I didn't miss anything but I just happen to disagree.
    PM the mod and try get it reopened then? I dunno how you go from off topic in a thread to thinking Keith locked in because he didn't agree.
    He locked it because it was a bad thread. I honestly don't get it but whatever. IF you want it open try PM keith and see if he will.

• Advertisement

After Hours.

Nate

Don't be so hard on yourself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement