Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What annoys you most about boards.ie?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

When a person posts a reply to a thread without reading any other posts, even the OP. They see the title of the thread, barge in spluttering, and generally miss the mark.

I don't like how degenerate a lot of discussion gets, and how quickly. Sometimes it's great but sometimes it's painfully stupid.

Conversely I don't like that Boards can be pretty addictive. I stopped myself looking at the place for most of today. It's easy to get sick of the constant nonsense and can make your own posts seem a bit more degenerate or tetchy because of that.

The flirting in here lately, as others have said. It's just spam.

Shryke wrote: »
    I stopped myself looking at the place for most of today.

How did you do this? Please, I need answers - and tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

PM the mod and try get it reopened then? I dunno how you go from off topic in a thread to thinking Keith locked in because he didn't agree.
    He locked it because it was a bad thread. I honestly don't get it but whatever. IF you want it open try PM keith and see if he will.

I don't want to reopen it! Jesus that's the last thing I want to do! However a general thread on where the line is regarding humour, that'd be interesting. I've never seen one here, that I remember anyway! But I'm lazy and can't be f*cked starting it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Don't circumvent a thread lock by discussing it in here.

if you have an issue, PM a mod, or go to HelpDesk. If you wish to give constructive feedback take it to, well, Feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

some posters trying to out-pc each other

• Advertisement

BEST USERNAME EVER :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Being accused of being "PC" all the time.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Clowns ruin good threads all the time .Clown Filter needed .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Many posters trying to out-racism/sexism/general stupidity each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Nodin wrote: »
    Being accused of being "PC" all the time.
    Or indeed the misuse of the term "Political Correctness".

<insert Stewart Lee video>

• Advertisement

How did you do this? Please, I need answers - and tips!

I got in the car and entered civilization for a while. It was lovely. Then I met someone that kind of annoys me and got invited to a thing. I decided to exit civilization instead and keep my peace of mind... on Boards? So I guess I failed. I am posting right now. That's not even 12 hours. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EdanHewittt

A weird bunch of posts for some one with a mere 59 posts to his name. Sounds like a re-reg.

IMHO, Post count means nothing. What is this, the Indian Caste system, where if you're only born into a rich family (i.e, post count over 1000), you are reputable, and respected?

Leave post-count at the door. In some cases, I've seen OP with 3 threads to his name, re-direct 500,000 board members to another forum.

All through one thread entitled "Go here instead". It is Not hard to re-spawn, and re-start.

That is the beauty of the internet some might say. Not a bad thing. I love when communities of people migrate to greener fields.

Not that anyone would leave boards.ie for something far superior, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

'PC' is a term used by privileged people who are mad they can no longer make fun of race/gender/sexual orientation like in the 50s.

Have you ever noticed that these so called 'easy going' guys get all up in arms when someone actually mocks their demographic for once.

I got in the car and entered civilization for a while. It was lovely. Then I met someone that kind of annoys me and got invited to a thing. I decided to exit civilization instead and keep my peace of mind... on Boards? So I guess I failed. I am posting right now. That's not even 12 hours. :pac:

But....do you not have a smartphone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I would like if post count stopped at say 1000 posts, then we would all be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

paddyandy wrote: »
    Clowns ruin good threads all the time .Clown Filter needed .

At the risk of you filtering yourself there is an ignore option.

(only joking, you can't filter yourself)

A weird bunch of posts for some one with a mere 59 posts to his name. Sounds like a re-reg.

IMHO, Post count means nothing. What is this, the Indian Caste system, where if you're only born into a rich family (i.e, post count over 1000), you are reputable, and respected?

Leave post-count at the door. In some cases, I've seen OP with 3 threads to his name, re-direct 500,000 board members to another forum.

All through one thread entitled "Go here instead". It is Not hard to re-spawn, and re-start.

That is the beauty of the internet some might say. Not a bad thing. I love when communities of people migrate to greener fields.

Not that anyone would leave boards.ie for something far superior, right?

Your post count matters because you had a litany of grievances with this site which seemed at odds with a low post count.

I would leave boards for something far superior, or use both, but I ain't seen an Irish site with its debth yet.

But....do you not have a smartphone?

You're right, but I was occupied with other things most of the time.
    Maybe I looked once by accident. So I did worse than I thought. It was still a break. I feel less befouled.

'PC' is a term used by privileged people who are mad they can no longer make fun of race/gender/sexual orientation like in the 50s.

Or sometimes by people who feel they don't need a never ending lecture from the more 'enlightened'.

token101 wrote: »
    Or sometimes by people who feel they don't need a never ending lecture from the more 'enlightened'.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, there are unfortunately plenty of posters who need to be enlightened.

• Advertisement

Have you ever noticed that these so called 'easy going' guys get all up in arms when someone actually mocks their demographic for once.

If PC was battling privilege then rich university professors couldn't attack working class whites, but they do.

So I did worse than I thought.

Hey, you did a lot better than I could ever do!

*pats on back*

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EdanHewittt

Your post count matters because you had a litany of grievances with this site.

Never said I had problems with this particular site.

If it came across like this, I'm sorry. I was just trying to be hyperbolic.

Other sites, I did have a problem with, yes. They were too strict.

Invested a lot of time in them. All my epic posts were wiped out*.

Complained about my ban to the Admins, got no reply back.

In short, my point is - don't invest so much time building an identity on a forum, when on a whim, your whole carefully crafted reputation gets removed without a preliminary notice.

So to stay on-topic here: I hate when actual, real / virtual identity can't be verifiable, and tracked to a user who has built up years of online kudos.

I am not a re-reg - just a victim of badly run boards.

* With over 400,000 replies etc

At the risk of sounding arrogant, there are unfortunately plenty of posters who need to be enlightened.

Maybe they feel the same about you :pac: Your opinion is based on your experiences. Debating is one thing, enlightening is arrogant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Whoopsadaisydoodle breaking every page with every post :mad:

[url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/489713/212810.png[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

I find it annoying when people reply 'RIP' to a thread about someone's death. It's just pointless

Apart from that I personally think the website boards.ie is absolutely perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

If PC was battling privilege then rich university professors couldn't attack working class whites, but they do.

I don't think anyone would agree that attacking working class people is very 'PC'.
    University Professors aren't always known to be pillars of political correctness.

It is about privilege in many ways. In most cases the people whining about PC are those who are not affected by the un-pc thing in question.

Not too soon though. I have a plan....just give it time :p

Not too soon though. I have a plan....just give it time :p

You have until tomorrow, after that your name starts wrapping onto the next line :pac:

• Advertisement

token101 wrote: »
    Maybe they feel the same about you :pac: Your opinion is based on your experiences. Debating is one thing, enlightening is arrogant.

I used to think like that, and try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and think that every opinion is valid in its own way.

But while I think the majority of people are fine, fairly smart and not bad people, some people are just objectively stupid, ignorant and nasty.

I've wasted enough time here "debating" with people who ignore what you say, constantly misrepresent you, wilfully take nothing on board and refuse to answer difficult questions or face facts which contradict what they say.
    While I strive to maintain a civil air with such people at first and remain within the bounds of the charter, I don't think they're deserving of being treated very respectfully either, if they're not debating in a respectful, intelligent manner.

Some people (a minority) just need to be told that they're wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I used to think like that, and try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and think that every opinion is valid in its own way.

But while I think the majority of people are fine, fairly smart and not bad people, some people are just objectively stupid, ignorant and nasty.

I've wasted enough time here "debating" with people who ignore what you say, constantly misrepresent you, wilfully take nothing on board and refuse to answer difficult questions or face facts which contradict what they say.
    While I strive to maintain a civil air with such people at first and remain within the bounds of the charter, I don't think they're deserving of being treated very respectfully either, if they're not debating in a respectful, intelligent manner.

Some people (a minority) just need to be told that they're wrong.
    You're wrong.:D

You have until tomorrow, after that your name starts wrapping onto the next line :pac:

Actually I was just gonna put a name change request in to get spaces every two syllables but your way is less effort for me :p

Pottler wrote: »
    You're wrong.:D

*Long-winded, multi-paragraph reply which could easily be replaced by "I'm not because I know I'm not."*

Actually I was just gonna put a name change request in to get spaces every two syllables but your way is less effort for me :p

The laziness of your average boards member, that annoys me

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Writes lengthy reply

Proof-reads it for grammar, spelling and format.

Hits submit

*Thread is closed*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

It bugs me that people have the number of posts displayed in a thread set to 10 or whatever and then complain about a thread being a bajillion pages long. 40 posts per page FTW!

User CP > Edit Options. It's that easy :D Go do it people.

On a serious note the dole bashing threads get to me. Being 25 and unemployed for 20 of the last 24 months is depressing and shitty enough as it is without being made to feel like pond scum for being on welfare.

I just hope this fixing the whoopsiedaisy-wans name doesn't crash the entire inter web.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Writes lengthy reply

Hits submit

*Thread is closed*

Hate that.

The laziness of your average boards member, that annoys me

:D

:p

Request made! g'em better be up early :pac:

Cocolola wrote: »
    It bugs me that people have the number of posts displayed in a thread set to 10 or whatever and then complain about a thread being a bajillion pages long. 40 posts per page FTW!

User CP > Edit Options. It's that easy :D Go do it people.

On a serious note the dole bashing threads get to me. Being 25 and unemployed for 20 of the last 24 months is depressing and shitty enough as it is without being made to feel like pond scum for being on welfare.

Dole bashing threads tend to take off in recessions when it makes no sense. during a boom people on the dole might be lazy, but in a recession probably unlucky.

• Advertisement

I just hope this fixing the whoopsiedaisy-wans name doesn't crash the entire inter web.

I hope it does. That'll learn ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Most of the stories or jokes I tell people I saw here. ANd they say Oh where did you hear that?
    Eh, a friend told me? Otherwise they would think I have no life other than boards.....which is my secret :(

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Most of the stories or jokes I tell people I saw here. ANd they say Oh where did you hear that?
    Eh, a friend told me? Otherwise they would think I have no life other than boards.....which is my secret :(

One day, on Boards, you're going to pass off a story you heard on Boards as one your friend told you, and then you'll be screwed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

i dont like the fact threads can be closed by moderators and that we cant get the last word in once they are closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Wikipedia Posters - Trying to act smart by reading about topics on wikipedia, then trying to post as if they know what they're talking about.

:)http://xkcd.com/903/

I hate the way on the 'My Threads' tab there's no button to go to the first unread post for me on the thread. always have to remember what's the last page I read to & navigate back. The touch site does it though so fair play for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Writes lengthy reply

Hits submit

*Thread is closed*
    Worse still, moved to politics, banking, tLL etc. and you look like a complete tit.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Where To wrote: »
    Writes lengthy reply

Hits submit

*Thread is closed*
    Worse still, moved to politics, banking, tLL etc. and you look like a complete tit.:(

Or FlirTar.. *shudders*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Where To wrote: »

Or when they move it while your writing, then you post and go to click back to the AH forum and you click into the Cukoos nest and get momentarily confused and bewildered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Or FlirTar.. *shudders*
    Yeah I ended up there once. *cowers*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Sorry if this has been said but it wrecks my head when a poster asks for advice/opinions and then they go into attack mode if someone gives a fair opinion that they don't like.

Private jokes in threads wrecks my head too.

Clicks. What's the point in going into an open thread & only ever talking to the same 4/5 people?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement