Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What annoys you most about boards.ie?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

First time I saw it I thought it had something to do with the prejudices of Mac users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

The Moderators - some of them seem to think they are Gods when in fact they are just surprise surprise mere humans like the rest of us - warts and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

People who put the "Atari jaguar" option in polls, it's not funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

angeleyes wrote: »
    The Moderators - some of them seem to think they are Gods when in fact they are just surprise surprise mere humans like the rest of us - warts and all.

they do it to free and without them boards wouldn't exist, or at least the discussion would resemble the comments of a youtube video, so lay off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Gimp posters clearly losing an argument then retorting "it's against the law" "breaking the laws of this land" on threads to do with over zealous laws or drugs legislation threads. No matter how ridiculous the law or norm debated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    they do it to free and without them boards wouldn't exist, or at least the discussion would resemble the comments of a youtube video, so lay off

that maybe so but there are times when the Mods can be ott. I have seen it myself first hand AND I am entitled to voice my opinion so Fishooks you lay off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Anyone who doesn't rate Sergio Busquets or does rate Patrice Evra. :pac:

In all seriousness, homophobic/transphobic posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

the worst thing? I can never remember the passwords for all my usernames

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

It's the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

LoYL wrote: »
    It's the same.
    As?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

the only thing that annoys,is something that does get really OTT sometimes on here, but it happens on most forums as society is widely hypocritical.
    anyway,the thing am going on about is the use of retard/retarded as an insult towards someone non impaired high functioning doing something ridiculous/silly-or someone high functioning refering to themselves as mentaly retarded when they have done something ridiculous and unfunny,people can often be serious in its use which all the more makes it an insult to those of us labeled on the MR spectrum.

people complain about rape,sexuality,race,gender,sexuality,nationality,looks,weight etc being used and abused on here in humour ,insults and abuse,but no one ever seems to realise how directly relating someones stupid acts [basicaly behaviors and lifestyles that are very common to folks within the neurotypical and high functioning groups] has a damaging effect on people with intelectual impairment in different ways?

not only that but the use of the word retard/retarded has significant life affecting history for those of us with intelectual impairment/learning disability/developmental disability,many of us are from times when it and its equaly damaging counterparts like imbercile,thick and backward were used as sole identities to degrade us,dehumanise us and show deep resentment by both our school teachers,family and support staff,we were told we woud never be able to do anything and it was a waste of time teaching us.
    with modern tv taking advantage of its contreversy,it soon became the bashing choice of both kids and adults and another reason for society to shun us further.
    for a group that is supposedly extremely vulnerable,jumped on by police as soon as we go AWOL,protected by many laws,organisations and charities,we sure are lacking support by society itself in its understanding.

it just says a lot that people can be blind to the power and history of certain words,but can go on verbal campaigns against ones that have no connection to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Too many threads get thanks whored on the first page, usually have to skip to the 2nd before the actual discussion starts.

The place is just too precious to a lot of things, coming from a liberal place like 4chan it can be a bit of a headwrecker seeing the endless debates about whether what some guy said is sexist/racist/inappropriate and whether we should all be offended by it or not.

Too many recession/misery revelers. I wish people here could be more positive about our country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Scruffles wrote: »
    ...or someone high functioning refering to themselves as mentaly retarded when they have done something ridiculous and unfunny....

people complain about rape, sexuality, race, gender, sexuality, nationality, looks, weight etc being used and abused on here in humour, insults and abuse,but no one ever seems to realise how directly relating someones stupid acts [basicaly behaviors and lifestyles that are very common to folks within the neurotypical and high functioning groups] has a damaging effect on people with intelectual impairment in different ways?

... not only that but the use of the word retard/retarded has significant life affecting history for those of us with intelectual impairment....

Respect. Never thought of it like that, largely because I'd see everybody as having different talents/intellectual strengths and being "retarded" at something (in my case, drawing/art) doesn't mean you're retarded as a person. It's normal to have strengths and weaknesses. Point very well made, though, so I'm going to have to come up with a new word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Where To wrote: »
    Not enough discussions are conducted via the medium of youtube.

All these words blah blah blah blah when a carefully selected musical ditty will suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

People who come on to a thread to say 'I don't care about this issue'...

Well if you don't care then why don't you kindly fuck right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

People who come on to a thread to say 'I don't care about this issue'...

Well if you don't care then why don't you kindly fuck right off.

Seconded only by "I haven't read the whole thread but here's the same opinion repeated 17 times on the preceding 10 pages." Even worse when the thread is only a few pages long. Is it so important to post your opinion that you can't read a few posts? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Most annoying thing about Boards: the thanks system. It ensures the entire website and its regular users remain prisoners of their ego. Unfortunately, this often means posters becoming nasty and the thanks system compounds it.

I can't see it being good or therapeutic for anybody who's going through a tough time. It ties legions of people to constantly checking the "popularity" of what they say and, when all is said and done, they are just wasting their life getting caught up in this crap. Same with the "friends" system on Facebook, Twitter and all the rest of them. They tie people to shallow foundations for their self esteem.

At the end of the day, I can see the very egocentricity which is at the success of Boards (and the others) being its (their) downfall as it becomes clearer how online fora exacerbate personal situations. It may take ten or twenty years, but given the extent of Facebook bullying and the like it's inevitable that there will be a backlash against such marketing tools as the 'thanks' feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Pace2008 wrote: »
    The "unpopular Opinions" thread annoys me most. People don't grasp the fact that you aren't supposed to agree with the opinions and they try and tell you why your opinion is completely wrong.
    Boards.ie is a discussion forum, man. If people want a space to air their sterile rants without fear of rebuttal or criticism, they could set up a blog and fill it with tedious list-based pieces like "10 things that really grind my gears" and "7 topics everyone in the world except me is wrong about."

But thats what the unpopular opinions thread is for. I dont mind people saying why they disagree with my opinion but when they say I'm completely wrong I have a problem.

100% agree. Stop doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I always include the Atari option in my polls as I think it actually serves a 'don't care' or 'undecided' function. Also, it's unique to boards (isn't it?) and kinda quirky so I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

People thinking that declaring someone to be a bleeding heart lefty or a member of the PC brigade automatically means they've made their point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Scruffles wrote: »
    the only thing that annoys,is something that does get really OTT sometimes on here, but it happens on most forums as society is widely hypocritical.
    anyway,the thing am going on about is the use of retard/retarded as an insult towards someone non impaired high functioning doing something ridiculous/silly-or someone high functioning refering to themselves as mentaly retarded when they have done something ridiculous and unfunny,people can often be serious in its use which all the more makes it an insult to those of us labeled on the MR spectrum.
    I prefer "differently stupid", "eyeswivelers" or "windowlickers" myself. While I do take your point the problem is that "retard" is a common shorthand for somebody being a gobshíte and will take a while to change if ever. We call people and situations, "schizo" and "psycho" too. Unfortunately Retard falls into that. Post like yours should help though S. If you're an example of someone on the MR spectrum then half of boards are in trouble and I'm a fcuking jellyish.
    Seanchai wrote: »
    ... given the extent of Facebook bullying and the like it's inevitable that there will be a backlash against such marketing tools as the 'thanks' feature.
    I dunno S, you'd have to change human nature along with it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

The constant threads about how much people earn, or how much disposable income they have. Apart from the obvious dick-measuring, it just seems vulgar to me to compare how much you earn with others.

*takes teabag off washing line*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Share pics with panda? :pac:
    We want Panda to mate with other Panda, not boardsie. You're dying out :(

What about what panda wants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

The constant threads about how much people earn, or how much disposable income they have. Apart from the obvious dick-measuring, it just seems vulgar to me to compare how much you earn with others.

*takes teabag off washing line*

Although I don't post about money (I'm 18, take a guess how much I make a year) I have fallen victim to actual dick measuring around here though....:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Panda have free time later:)
    First Panda insert penis into (vagina) female panda, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Threads complaining about freedom of speech being stifled which then descend into a passive aggressive 'Agree with me or you're an idiot' free-for-all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I hate when someone quotes you and you reply to that person, then someone else quotes your reply taking what you have said out of context and ignoring the fact that you're replying to a specific question.

I hope that made sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

What irritates me about Boards is how so many ripostes are completely detached from reality, as though some of the moral high grounders here have nev-er made a mistake in their pretty little lives -'fact'!

Oh and people who tag that little chestnut to the end of their meanderings too, as though it suddenly elevates their mindless argument to academic status and you're now going to hang on their every word :rolleyes:

(I hate the rolleyes too but it seemed appropriate there)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mdoyler2

Other posters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

People on their high horses.

I would go on but it's only Tuesday and I don't want to be in a bad mood for the rest of the day if I dwell on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

Loose/lose

Quiet/Quite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Panda have free time later:)
    First Panda insert penis into (vagina) female panda, please.

I'm sick of putting on shows for your kind :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Government shills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Aul' biddy attitudes

The more time I've spent on boards, the more I've realised that that bitchy, patronising, smug attitude I always used to associate with middle-aged women (often called Brid, Peig, Nuala, Mary etc) is actually thriving among the younger generations (both male and female) too! Fook me, what a horrible realisation!

You know when you get an OP saying something like, "Yea, I fooked up and now I'm looking for some advice on how to sort it out..."? How many times have you seen a post by some tight-arsed prune saying, "Yea, well you shouldn't have done that in the first place and you deserve everything you get. And another thing, sure by the sound of your post you probably get roaring drunk all the time... and you're probably a rapist too... oh yea, I've heard about the likes of you, mammy warned me. Oh yea, out on your drugs, high as a kite, probably..."

And all because some poor pr!ck forgot an anniversary or something!!! Jaysus.

Just stick to the facts and stop speculating about people's characters or what you think they're probably like or what they probably think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Some of the posters on the Soccer forum hack me off. I realise going into the superthread of a particular team, you are likely to find alot of that teams fans. But it isn't their own personal fiefdom and non-fans of said team are allowed to have an opinion without being branded "trolls". I swear, some of the people in their are in their 40's but act like kids when discussing football.

This includes some of the Mods in there too. Yes, it's understandable that you support a team. But that doesn't mean you get to sh*t all over anybody who criticises one of your players. I had a run in with a Utd mod after I had the temerity to suggest that one of their players wasn't gods gift to football. By all means, hand out warnings to people you disagree with.

And as you can see I'm not bitter about it. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

When I am so drunk I make grammatical errors ................ shudder .......
    Forgive me o' woman child..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Blondini wrote: »
    When I am so drunk I make grammatical errors ................ shudder .......
    Forgive me o' woman child..............

Im locked now! Had a bottle of wine, now Im making dinner and necking a few beers!

:pac: Whenever I make a grammatical error I kick myself!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Pricks who've been apart of the forum for years and think they can be as blunt as they like in their posting and get away with it.

Oh and the airsoft forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I've started a few threads with polls and you get moaning if you don't

Easier to just include it, keep em happy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Not sure if it has been mentioned already but the use of this :rolleyes:, no matter what the context (but especially when it is the only response to something), drives me mad!

the spelling / grammer police ... ffs i dont know how to spell every word alright

The people who are incensed by the fact that the OP hasn't got a credible source for something that happened literally an hour ago :L Relax, go to bed and there will be a lovely newspaper article waiting for you in the morning.
    People on Boards aren't journalists. They can write things without having a credible source if they so wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Stupid replies by that cnut called uch,,,, oh wait.....

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Moderators who threaten /intimidate, and then ignore you when asked to explain their threat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

The threads are my least favourite part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

the spelling / grammer police ... ffs i dont know how to spell every word alright Correctly

Tut Tut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Dr.Broccoli

The ones who sign their posts.

Dr.Broccoli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

The threads are my least favourite part.
    Yes I agree with you.

Well there is some of them I like.

Yeah some of them are OK

Occasionally some of them are good.

Yeah some of them are great!

Sometimes they are excellent!!!

More! More! More!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

How come no one said w*nkers yet??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement