Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beam benders

• 11-07-2012 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I am going to France in two weeks and am just wondering about beam benders. I have a number of questions and would greatly appreciate all advice. The van is a 2009 fiat Ducato LHD and I plan to do all my driving in the morning time so do I still need them? If I do, where can I get them? I know that Halfords sell them but I have heard that they wont work for a 2009 Ducato and they can damage the plastic lens units. I have also heard that they fall off quite easy. Can I use insulating tape and how do I know what part of the light to fit the tape. I have no problem paying for them but I just want to be sure that they are the correct type and won't damage the light unit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

You may not need them if your MH is a LHD drive? You'll only need them for driving here, assuming your lamps haven't been changed around already.

Is your MH an import?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

you tape off the panel in the center of the light looks like a wedge, you can use tape, I've seen insulation tape or of you use something stronger like duct tape just heat it with a hair dryer to soften the glue

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭colmll

Thanks guys,
    Even though it is LHD, the original owner bought it new here in Ireland. How can I check which way the lights are set up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

drive up close to a wall or similar , dipped beams on , the light should have a sort of flat line with a tail angling upwards and away from it. If it angles to the left as you look at it , they're RHD .

in this pic they are LHD . http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/138836.jpg

138836.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    drive up close to a wall or similar , dipped beams on , the light should have a sort of flat line with a tail angling upwards and away from it. If it angles to the left as you look at it , they're RHD .

in this pic they are LHD . http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/138836.jpg

138836.jpg

Exactly as above... Basically you want the side that angles up to be the ditch side... Not the oncoming traffic!!!
    Marty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Yea they need to be going to the left hand side (ditch)for here,and the other way for france,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Good thread over here about it:
    http://motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-64006.html

Actually those will presumably be marked to bend the other way I can't find them in the fiat catalogue to see if theres an lhd - rhd version.

Bear in mind that the uk has outlawed beam benders at MOT we're usually close behind.

If you wanted to diy it don't use a dark coloured tape as it will get too hot. If it was my own van I'd probably use aluminium tape its used all the time on polycarbonate sheeting so I know it sticks well getting it off might be the hard bit lol. You can want to stick a bit inconspicuously first.

Actually we're hoping to head to france and was just reading that metro ultra beam benders are supposed to let through more light than all the competition which should mean they stay cooler and are supposed compatible with polycarbonate lenses. For the price you can't go wrong - you'd have to play with placement due to the odd shape of your lenses before sticking I'd say: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Beam-Benders-for-foreign-driving-/380294270538?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item588b4e0e4a#ht_2414wt_1168

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

And another thing.....!!!

The beam benders you buy in halfords or the like here in our great emerald isle are for converting your regular RHD car to suit the continent... Not the other way round which is what us LHD motorhome owners require.
    The common approach seems to be to turn them upside down to suit.... I'm not convinced this works quite as well as they are supposed to but does seem to work.
    If you however pick up a set in France they will be for LHDs coming to the UK/Eire. So naturally they will do the job.
    They sell these on the boat usually....

I did this last year(got the right ones for a LHD).... However I left them for the DOE tester to fit and he stuck em on upside down!!!(obviously used to doing it this way!!)

not sure if this helps anyone!!!
    Marty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

martyc5674 wrote: »
    And another thing.....!!!

The beam benders you buy in halfords or the like here in our great emerald isle are for converting your regular RHD car to suit the continent... Not the other way round which is what us LHD motorhome owners require.
    The common approach seems to be to turn them upside down to suit.... I'm not convinced this works quite as well as they are supposed to but does seem to work.
    If you however pick up a set in France they will be for LHDs coming to the UK/Eire. So naturally they will do the job.
    They sell these on the boat usually....

I did this last year(got the right ones for a LHD).... However I left them for the DOE tester to fit and he stuck em on upside down!!!(obviously used to doing it this way!!)

not sure if this helps anyone!!!
    Marty.

The metro ultra ones say you just turn them 180 degrees in the paperwork. Nive of the DOE fella to do that all the same lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I use the Metro ones all the time , and as you sau , turn 180 degrees for LHD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭here2surf

Can I jump in here.

I have a 2008 Ducato LHD. DOE on wed and I asked when booking it about beam benders. I have been told that the centre will fit them professionally before the test for 30€.....
    Just back from Halfords where I picked up a set and now realise there are specific ones for LHD/RHD.

OP, how did you get on? I presume our headlights are the same fittings? Did you use the Halfords bb's?
    Thanks

I just turn the passenger side bulb anti-clockwise a smidge and focus a level horizontal line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

here2surf wrote: »
    Can I jump in here.

I have a 2008 Ducato LHD. DOE on wed and I asked when booking it about beam benders. I have been told that the centre will fit them professionally before the test for 30€.....
    Just back from Halfords where I picked up a set and now realise there are specific ones for LHD/RHD.

OP, how did you get on? I presume our headlights are the same fittings? Did you use the Halfords bb's?
    Thanks

Probably fine if you reverse them too, drive up to a wall in the evening so you can clearly see the dip pattern and position them without removing the adhesive to get rid of the A section, easier and more reliable than trying to accuratly follow the diagram which may just be wrong. http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/31533/holiday-headlights-feature

beam-diagram.jpg

Advertisement