Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Security at Irish Events

• 11-07-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Lets see if this thread lasts.

They flesh out their pro security with volunteers who are far from pro and are payed with free festival admission. In fact a large portion of staff at events like the one making the headlines are unpaid volunteers. Now the majority of folk are blaming a handful of bad eggs for the trouble, talk about stating the obvious while avoiding the real issue. I've been to music festivals worldwide, most of which have attendance topping 40,000 and some of which last as long as five days. Besides the extortionate cost to attend festivals here, corners are cut at every point that they legally can, to maximise profit. And yet, despite the massive revenue generated for the promoters, the promoters recruit volunteer security and other staff, pay them nothing ( besides admission to the event) and as a result ordinary, paying customers are taking their lives into their own hands by attending events where the use and sale of hard drugs, the danger of weapons, and personal security are real concerns.

This is not a symptom of Ireland, Alcohol or even a symptom of a specific genre of music, it is a symptom of a promotions company that care about one thing over all others, maximum profits. All would be avoided if the security were professional, visible and effective

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Now the majority of folk are blaming a handful of bad eggs for the trouble, talk about stating the obvious while avoiding the real issue.

A guy brought a knife and stabbed multiple people and you think security is the real issue?

Society is the issue my friend!

I heard someone say "Well when you put 50000 people in the same place what do you expect?"

I expect you not to bring a knife and stab multiple people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

They flesh out their pro security with volunteers who are far from pro and are payed with free festival admission. In fact a large portion of staff at events like the one making the headlines are unpaid volunteers. Now the majority of folk are blaming a handful of bad eggs for the trouble, talk about stating the obvious while avoiding the real issue. I've been to music festivals worldwide, most of which have attendance topping 40,000 and some of which last as long as five days. Besides the extortionate cost to attend festivals here, corners are cut at every point that they legally can, to maximise profit. And yet, despite the massive revenue generated for the promoters, the promoters recruit volunteer security and other staff, pay them nothing ( besides admission to the event) and as a result ordinary, paying customers are taking their lives into their own hands by attending events where the use and sale of hard drugs, the danger of weapons, and personal security are real concerns.

This is not a symptom of Ireland, Alcohol or even a symptom of a specific genre of music, it is a symptom of a promotions company that care about one thing over all others, maximum profits. All would be avoided if the security were professional, visible and effective

They flesh out their pro security with volunteers who are far from pro and are payed with free festival admission. In fact a large portion of staff at events like the one making the headlines are unpaid volunteers
    Can Op provide a link to actual evidence of this, bearing in mind security staff in Ireland have to be vetted by the Gardai and Licensed by the Security Authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

And yet, despite the massive revenue generated for the promoters, the promoters recruit volunteer security and other staff, pay them nothing ( besides admission to the event)

What proof do you have of that? I'd have thought they'd be paid more than just a free ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Yep I agree with MrStuffins.

There's Fk all securily at sonar in barcelona, freely available drugs and drink - both much cheaper than here ireland yet no fights or stabbings because they are not a country which harbours degenerate scumbag stabbing thugs who laugh at the cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TheFreshPrince

My proof is a friend who is a Volunteer Coordinator for events. I cant name names for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you want to specifically discuss security at gigs, do so in Gigs forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement