Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when are repeats?

Options
  • 11-07-2012 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭

so i failed a module, did crap in every sector of it. If i do the repeat exam and pass that, do i pass the entire module or will i still fail because i got an F in attendance etc. during the semester? i dont get how repeats work really.

also, when are they? august?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

ah ok so even if I get a D in the repeat i still pass the module? thanks!

And damn, christmas is so far away, I thought we had them in August.. oh well! more time to study i guess :) thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 greens

In DCU , students can repeat in August any module that they failed in.
    I think this is good for students to have another chance rather than waiting until next academic year as in UCD as i understood .
    And in DCU , if you got total 40% or more you will pass the module even if you failed in some parts in the module . What about UCD in this point?
    i

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

greens wrote: »
    In DCU , students can repeat in August any module that they failed in.
    I think this is good for students to have another chance rather than waiting until next academic year as in UCD as i understood .
    And in DCU , if you got total 40% or more you will pass the module even if you failed in some parts in the module . What about UCD in this point?
    i

It's a logistical and financial hassle to offer repeats in August, so while it can benefit some students its understandable why UCD doesn't offer them then.

Depends on the module - most simply require you to get a total of 40% to pass but with others you need to pass each component. Typically those modules are in medicine or veterinary, but again it simply depends on the module.

muffinz wrote: »
    ah ok so even if I get a D in the repeat i still pass the module? thanks!

And damn, christmas is so far away, I thought we had them in August.. oh well! more time to study i guess :) thanks!

Yup, once you get a pass mark you're done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I think UCD used to do summer repeats before the credit system came in, where you dont need all credits finished to move from stage to stage, so in the past you may have to repeat the year in order to take 1 subject if you failed the repeat as apposed to the current system where you move on anyway (in most cases).

Also some modules require you to pass the final exam to pass the module i.e. over 40% combined score wont pass you if you fail the final. I know people who have some modules like that, I think they're restricted to science areas, I've never come across it myself, but virtually every modules criteria can be different.

Advertisement