Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow-thurles quickest route?

Options
  • 11-07-2012 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi, what do people consider is the quickest route from Carlow town to thurles?

Aa roadwatch says to go thru portlaiose and down the motorway? Is this the quickest way?

How long should it take to drive?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

It depends on if you like driving the back roads. I personally go through Carlow , the Swan , Abbeyleix onto the motorway from there , going through portloaise would be about an extra 25km on your journey but a much easier drive. Probably marginally quicker aswell. Did you try any other routes on AA?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭Carlow2011

The Swan - abbeyleix is probably the shortest And road is 'reasonable'

Portlaoise is long route

Could go to castlecomer - Ballyragget - Durrow but this is the scenic route particularly the castlecomer to Ballyragget section

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

It it's only a one off journey go via Portlaoise. If your commuting there regularly you will probably find going via The Swan and Abbeyleix quicker.

Carlow - Kilkenny - Freshford - Urlingford - Two Mile Borris - Thurles is another possible option.

Cant be 5 minutes out of the way but the KK to Urlingford road is poor enough

Carlow2011 wrote: »
    The Swan - abbeyleix is probably the shortest And road is 'reasonable'

Portlaoise is long route

Could go to castlecomer - Ballyragget - Durrow but this is the scenic route particularly the castlecomer to Ballyragget section

God the main r694 route is windy enough between the two but you could easily make the mistake of going straight ahead and taking the back road from castlecomer to ballyragget which is awful altogether. barely room for a bicycle on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭thirtypence

Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GoAround

I concur wit the others, Go out to Killeshin swing out for the swan-Abbeyleix-Urlingford and turn off at Horse and Jockey to Thurles

GoAround wrote: »
    I concur wit the others, Go out to Killeshin swing out for the swan-Abbeyleix-Urlingford and turn off at Horse and Jockey to Thurles

You dont even have to go as far as the jockey. turn off for two mile borris at the turn pike (n75) then turn right in TMB for Thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I don't like going onto the motorway at Abbeyleix - the road out to it is so bad. I usually go down the old road. The speed limit is 100K & 90% of the time you wouldn't get held up. I go back on to the motorway again at Urlingford.

I went down on Thursday and headed out to Castlecomer, over the hill to Ballyragget and out to Durrow. It is a gorgeous drive that way. And the road is even quieter than the road to Abbeyleix.

Going via Kilkenny is probably the longest way - but there is no more than five miles between them all.

Advertisement