Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Syria

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Syrian TV interviewed people on the street in Damascus who are being asked whether everything is calm and there is no fighting. Meanwhile clearly in the background is the sound of shooting.

Aleppo - Assad is losing a lot of armor

BTW, this is the Libyan-Irish chap
    "Mahdi Harati's Ummah brigade involved in heavy clashes in Wady Deif, Zalana & Semad . 8 FFs injured. 2 Libya FFs injured. "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

A big fan of Christian-hating Fundamentalists then I take it?
    hmmm wrote: »
    Aleppo - Assad is losing a lot of armor.

Looks like they've lost less than 10% of their second-rate armor (T-55/62) and 0% of their mainstay armor.

Border-Rat wrote: »
    A big fan of Christian-hating Fundamentalists then I take it?
    Get over yourself please.
    Looks like they've lost less than 10% of their second-rate armor (T-55/62) and 0% of their mainstay armor.
    You're basing that on what?

• Advertisement

Ignore the guy ranting and you'll see quite a few destroyed tanks. This is claimed to be in Azzaz in the North

These are reported to have come from the Golan Heights to Damascus today. Perhaps not - apparently the 4th Republican Guards are the only army division that are thought to be very loyal (all Allawite) - most other army units have strong Sunni elements which are not expected to remain loyal.

6 wheels so for the benefit of some people these are T-72s

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

If I had to put money on something, it would seem like 2x T-62, 2x T-72 in that video. I've seen a number of T-72s destroyed in the past pictures from Syria, but have no basis to make a statement on percentages of armour destroyed. Hmm's video seems to be nothing but T-72s, and a BMP-2 which may be captured intact.

Besides, in that last video, it's the ZSUs I'd be more worried about as a freedom fighter, not the tanks.

Lackadaisical weapons handling

Damascus today

I can't imagine Diarmuid Martin doing this (skip to 0.55). Mosque in Aleppo

Finally, this is an entertaining blogpost.
    http://brown-moses.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/how-not-to-handle-unexploded-ordnance.html which includes this
    . Please don't toss the unexploded ordnance around the place.

If I had to put money on something, it would seem like 2x T-62, 2x T-72 in that video. I've seen a number of T-72s destroyed in the past pictures from Syria, but have no basis to make a statement on percentages of armour destroyed. Hmm's video seems to be nothing but T-72s, and a BMP-2 which may be captured intact.

That amounts to basically nothing for an army with 2-3 thousand tanks. As he mentioned, quote a "lot of armor" insinuating 1991-level losses.
    Besides, in that last video, it's the ZSUs I'd be more worried about as a freedom fighter, not the tanks.

lol, so these fundamentalists are 'freedom fighters'. Presumably you categorised insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan similarly?

hmmm wrote: »
    Get over yourself please.

The terrrorists in these videos are fundamentalists. I do get a kick out of the so-called 'right-wing' beating their chest about Islamic insurgents in one area, then supporting them in another. You're really a confused bunch who know nothing but state-dependent obsequiousness. Let me guess, you supported the fundamentalists in Libya and Egypt who eventually ran all Christians out of town? Then opposed what they were doing in Iraq?

You're basing that on what?

Secular Syrian forces have several thousand tanks. "Assad is losing a lot of armor" is fundamentalist fantasy/hyperbole. Their losses are negligible.

• Advertisement

You're really a confused bunch who know nothing but state-dependent obsequiousness.
    You've blundered into the Military forum. Long winded straw-man political speeches are more at home in Politics -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056677555

Gunships over Damascus

This is Homs, FSA attacking the army using a captured/deserter vehicle

Shelling in Daraa (fwd to 0.35 for incoming)

I suppose a statement comprised of 3 sentences would be considered 'long-winded' for you. Syrian Rebels issue ultimatum to Christians: Leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I suppose a statement comprised of 3 sentences would be considered 'long-winded' for you. Syrian Rebels issue ultimatum to Christians: Leave

Didn't think you Marxist-Leninist types had much time for christianity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Are all the rebels Sunni Muslims?

Airforce helicopter going down

Another IED

Hind dropping what I'm told is an OFAB bomb

More unique unexploded stuff handling. At 1.18 a guy decides to start kicking it

A Druze village in the Golan

FSA have at least one T-72, and everyone hops aboard for a joyride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

is this thread an advert for violance.....sad that all middle eastern regimes have to be changed by violance.....

but no doubt we will see a lot more....and it will be enjoyed by the video geeks....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

is this thread an advert for violance.....sad that all middle eastern regimes have to be changed by violance.....

but no doubt we will see a lot more....and it will be enjoyed by the video geeks....

mind you don't fall off of that high horse now y'hear.

is this thread an advert for violance
    It's the Military forum you gobdaws.

Hunting tanks in Aleppo (extraordinary footage)

Another T-72 down. This is Aleppo again. There's stories that large Syrian army elements are moving towards Aleppo tonight. The 4th have been in Damascus.

Tanks in Damascus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

tiger55 wrote: »
    Looks like the media is lying to us again (there is a surprise).
    From the guy who calls London the "zionist capital of the world". It must hurt to think that another Middle East dictator is tottering, the anti-Israel faction in this country have some strange bedfellows.

Anyway, back on topic. This is very WW1 - the FSA tunnel under a Syrian army position

Syrian L-39 spreading a message of hope and reconciliation

This I think is the Libyans in Syria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,381 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Extraordinary sequence of photos. You can clearly see it happened in milliseconds. The men literally never knew what hit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭SamHarris

The terrrorists in these videos are fundamentalists. I do get a kick out of the so-called 'right-wing' beating their chest about Islamic insurgents in one area, then supporting them in another. You're really a confused bunch who know nothing but state-dependent obsequiousness. Let me guess, you supported the fundamentalists in Libya and Egypt who eventually ran all Christians out of town? Then opposed what they were doing in Iraq?

You can tell the poltical disposition of a bunch of people by watching them in a three minute video? Impressive.

I get a kick out of the sold called "left wing" calling for an end to Western allied dictators whilst giving tacit support to those despots that antagonise it.

Let me guess, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia are awful dictatorships that should be torn down - Iran, Syria and Cuba are states who should and do crush the opposition who have the temerity to look for change?

There is a particular type of political activist that has been around since the Wall came down - completly reactionary and inconsistent - willing to twist any situation to lionise anyone in oppostion to the West. Thank jesus its a dying breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭SamHarris

Of all the dictatorships in the world can you name many that werent toppled by violence? Or at the very least didnt have a wave of extreme violence afterwards. Even in a place as "civilized" as France after the fall of the Vichy regime about 1/2 the amount of people that died in the Iraq war were killed - just in the resulting civil strife.

When a government is willing to use artillery against the opposition walking at them with arms linked only works in the minds of the obscenely innocent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I thought this conflict would drag on for years but it looks like Turks have had enough and swinging behind rebels big time.

I assume the next stage will be the very messy and bloody partition of Syria into A Kurdish, shia and sunni region. It's already happening.
    The regime may survive in its heartland.

Whats is the best source of information on the conflict IHO?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I thought this conflict would drag on for years but it looks like Turks have had enough and swinging behind rebels big time.

I assume the next stage will be the very messy and bloody partition of Syria into A Kurdish, shia and sunni region. It's already happening.
    The regime may survive in its heartland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

The first casualty of war is the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭donaghs

SamHarris wrote: »
    You can tell the poltical disposition of a bunch of people by watching them in a three minute video? Impressive.

I get a kick out of the sold called "left wing" calling for an end to Western allied dictators whilst giving tacit support to those despots that antagonise it.

Let me guess, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia are awful dictatorships that should be torn down - Iran, Syria and Cuba are states who should and do crush the opposition who have the temerity to look for change?

There is a particular type of political activist that has been around since the Wall came down - completly reactionary and inconsistent - willing to twist any situation to lionise anyone in oppostion to the West. Thank jesus its a dying breed.

Even if the early rebels included a mixed bag of groups and ideas, I think we can conclusively say now that the revolt is dominated by Islamic extremists and is a bad thing for Syria. But even from the start it was clear to me that Sunni ideology would dominate, and that any minority religion or relatively free-thinker would be better off under Assad. Not ideal, but real life.

Advertisement