Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Propelled Lawnmower

Options
  • 11-07-2012 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has being covered before but Im looking to buy a good self propelled lawnmower.

I dont know a whole lot abt mowers, but thats why im here:)

I have almost 1/3 of an acre to cut so would this type of lawnmower bo ok or would I need a ride on. Bit lazy now to be fair:D

We currently have a guy who cuts it on a ride on every 2 weeks which costs 40 yo yo's and grass it always appears to be long and it wreaks the lawn to be honest.

Im looking for something that will give me a good wide cut, very reliable, self propelled, mulcher and collector all in one, if thats even possible.

Budget of abt 500 yo yos.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I don't know if such a machine exists within your budget, but I would recommend something with variable speed / gears for the drive.
    That way you can cut slowly if the grass is high/wet and just whizz over it when conditions are ideal. Better results and more fun that way.

1/3 of an acre is certainly doable with a walk-behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

thanks for the reply. What kind of cut width should I be looking for and what type option would be best to leave out for the budget I have.

Might push it a little more if I knew I was getting something worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Don't know much about lawnmowers, tbh ...I'm more into the brutal side of "lawncare" :D (see my thread further down the page).

Generally speaking ...the wider the cut, the quicker you're finished (I wouldn't go under ~50 cm for 1/3 acre) and the sturdier the machine (no plastics, if possible) the longer it will last you.

Can't really comment on brands or specific mowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Fair enough, thanks again for the help.

1 more question for anyone out there.

I see some different type of lawnmower bases out there. Steel, Galvanised steel and Aluminium.

Which is best here? I know alu wont rust but I have also heard they crack, is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Stick with "Rover" and you wont go far wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Tbh I think you will struggle to get a good ride on mower for your budget! If you see one that's to good to be true, it probably is!! For most people a lawn mower isn't something you change every 2 years like you might with a car, it's the type of thing you keep until it gives trouble and then you get rid!! So just be careful!!

Advertisement