Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfers to PSNI

• 11-07-2012 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hey I was just wondering the possibility of transferring to the PSNI from Strathclyde. I know that this was not possible under Patten, but Patten ended in 2011 didn't it? I'm not in any police force at the moment, but I'm weighing up my options before I potentially apply to Strathclyde. I know as well that PSNI recruitment has to be open in order to apply for a transfer. So if it is possible, how 'easy' would it be? Please state how sure you are in your answers as well or if it's just a guess!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Transfers from other UK forces are possible alright though the officer transferring must have sucessfully completed the probationary period with their force. So a Strathclyde officer transferring to the PSNI must at least have done his/her probation. To my knowledge transfers can take a wee while annd last I heard there was still an interview to do thought I can't swear that is still the case.

It is not completely correct to consider Patten to have '' ended in 2011 ''. The Patten Commission set out a large number of changes to NI Policing - these ranged from changing the paint jobs on Tangi Landrovers to the register of Officers memberships or Organisations like the Orange Order and Ancient Order of Hibernians to the more high profile changes like 50/50 recruitment.
    50/50 has ended ( for now ) but other Patten changes remain permanent.

Apparently the only ' recruitment ' happening now is indeed transfers from other UK forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭wannabe2010

Thanks for reply :)

Aye I was thinking that my best chance of getting into PSNI is to get in through SC, for a main reason, that they will probably want to take in transferees over civilians due to less training being required to make them a PSNI PC. Yeah I figured I'd have to do the 2 years(?) before being able to apply for a transfer, but it's just how much of a "sure thing" that it may be? (obv nothing is a sure thing but you know...)

Oh ok.. so although Patten hasn't fully ended etc, in your knowledge, the ban on transferees from UK forces has definitely ended? How long is a "wee while" do you think?

Do you think that transferees will always generally be given preference over civilians?

Well its been reported on this forum that the only 'new' recruits are transferees from UK forces , they have the advantage of just requiring some extra legal and firearms training and they're good to go - no need for a drawn out recruitment process or lenghty training period = saves money. Worth remembering that transfers carry their salary increments with them so the PSNI does not get their services at the lower end of the pay scale so there is a cost I suppose.

I have an impression ( and its only an impression ) that transfers can take up to 12 months to sort out - someone else may know the exact score.

Future PSNI recruitment plans depend on money available and ( peculiar to Norn Iron ) the composition of the PSNI - I have always believed that should RC representation drop below the magic 30% as prescribed by Patten then there will be huge pressure to recruit to bring it back to this level.

Thanks very much for your input.. just trying to decide what to do at the moment.. absolutely desperate to get into the police and I'm worried that there won't be very many more chances with the economy etc etc... My partner of 6 years wouldn't come with me to SC and so it'd be a long-distance rship until I could do my probation and get a transfer.. so I'm scared of going in case PSNI start to recruit under 50/50 again thus banning UK transferees again, or if anything else comes up (you know how PSNI like to mess about with everything lol).. so I'm really REALLY confused and stressed out about what to do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38 black hack

Does anyone know if all UK Police forces are included in the transfer process. I was just wondering if it included the smaller forces such as Dover Police, Belfast Harbour Police and nuclear Police etc. Thanks

• Advertisement

black hack wrote: »
    Does anyone know if all UK Police forces are included in the transfer process. I was just wondering if it included the smaller forces such as Dover Police, Belfast Harbour Police and nuclear Police etc. Thanks

To my knowledge the answer is no . I have been told this is because the training these forces undergo is far shorter and nothing like the training ' Home Office ' forces undergo.
    For example the Civil Nuclear Constabulary are really far more concerned with security at installations than anything else.

I emailed PSNI:
    Hi, I was just wondering.. If I do my two years probationary training with Strathclyde Police, would it be possible to transfer to PSNI (when they are accepting applications) to the rank of PC? I know that this was not possible under Patten but as Patten finished in 2011, I was wondering if it would now be possible?

PSNI replied:
    Thank you for your enquiry.

The PSNI can only take transferees during an open competition, and we can only run these against an identified organisational need.

Like most UK police services, we are subject to ongoing financial uncertainty, and must 'cut our cloth' accordingly. For these reasons, our police recruitment has been suspended for 2 years now, but transferees remain a viable interim solution.

We last ran a PC/ DC process during the summer of 2011, and there may be another this coming autumn, but this is still subject to formal approval and the financial considerations outlined above.

If you wish to contact me again in a few weeks, I will be happy to update you on any change.

Advertisement