Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the leaving? Is it worth it?!

• 11-07-2012 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Was just thinking today about repeating the leaving and if it is worth all the stress?
    I'm doing Biology as an external subject as need a science subject for entry to course.
    I plan on applying as a mature student for the course but realise there is always only a few places for mature students.
    Any ye guys do the leaving as a mature student?
    Did you think it was a good decision ? Would you rec repeating?
    It's so hard to know what to do!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

shinesun wrote: »
    Was just thinking today about repeating the leaving and if it is worth all the stress?
    I'm doing Biology as an external subject as need a science subject for entry to course.

Hi, I just did my Leaving Cert first time round but although biology is a very broad course it isn't the hardest subject on offer. Once you know your experiments, ecology, definitions you're doing very well. Not much needs to be explained, you may find parts of the course challenging, for example I found human biology diffcult but it's the same for everyone. Studyclix is a good website for help with many leaving cert subjects including biology.

As regards to repeating the Leaving cert, only you can answer that question. Good luck!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Repeating was one of the best decisions I made. If someone asked me would I repeat prior to that I would have told them I'd rather be a bum, but I'm delighted I did in the end. I was more committed and mature second time around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

Nicole. wrote: »
    Hi, I just did my Leaving Cert first time round but although biology is a very broad course it isn't the hardest subject on offer. Once you know your experiments, ecology, definitions you're doing very well. Not much needs to be explained, you may find parts of the course challenging, for example I found human biology diffcult but it's the same for everyone. Studyclix is a good website for help with many leaving cert subjects including biology.

As regards to repeating the Leaving cert, only you can answer that question. Good luck!:)

Thanks sorry was not clear. I'm sitting biology as an external student as need it for entry to course. Just undecided whether to do the whole leaving again. Just something I have to think about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

I've seen people go back after 1 year and repeat the leaving, but to be honest it's a struggle for them because you forget everything and the courses would change! I'd say it would be pretty difficult to go an repeat the whole leaving again! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

shinesun wrote: »
    I plan on applying as a mature student for the course but realise there is always only a few places for mature students.
    Any ye guys do the leaving as a mature student?
    Did you think it was a good decision ? Would you rec repeating?
    It's so hard to know what to do!

Hi Shinesun,

I'm 28yrs old, and sat biology & physics this year with just 10wks study, It was a last minute decision hence the 10 weeks! I'm expecting an A in higher level biology, and B2-A2 for the higher physics. I never studied physics before and found it fairly challenging to start with as it was so new to me. I worked full time and did very little study (1-2 hrs per day) until a wk before my first exam. I was lucky that i had 6 days between exams. I did about 6-8hrs per day the week before each exam, which i spent just doing exam questions. There's no way I would have done so well in physics without this full week of pure physics as i was clueless up to that point. I had studies biology 11 years ago so was fairly rusty on that but its a subject i love, but that meant in the early days i would only study biology and neglect physics completely.

I am now starting on the chemistry course and hope to have it finished by September. I will be sitting 7 higher and 2 ordinary subjects next September. I sat it this year just to see how i'd get on as obviously 11 years is a long time out of education! I didnt get any grinds, just bought the main books & revision books. It's really important you grasp an understanding of the subject you are studying, and extremely important to practise from exam papers so that you become familiar with marking schemes.

Anyway, my point is that anything is possible! It just requires self belief (& hard work)..! You'd be surprised at how negative people get when you tell them you're resitting the leaving :(. I'm delighted I decided to resit and feel really confidence for next year. It has improved my self esteem alot as it bothered me that i never went to college. I'll be working part time from september and will self teach all my subjects. I found this is better method for me as your study time is really concentrated with no distractions. I hoping to study medicine in NUIG in Sept 2013.

Subjects: (higher) biology, physics, chemistry, english, maths, business & accounting (ordinary): french & irish

• Advertisement

Thanks. I'd be 31 going back to do it again.!
    I can understand the negativity thing as have said it to few ppl so this did help in turning me off.

I've been to college to study Business. Great course but at the time of the leaving had no idea what I wanted to do... Like the look of occupational therapy so may do that.

Still undecided but thanks a mil for the advice.
    The subjects I would be doing are Biology, Chemistry, Business, Economics, Geography and will be prob have to do English. I've never done Chemistry or Economics before so could pose a challenge.

Home Ec was my best subject but there is now a project :rolleyes:
    Pearse college do not do Home Ec. They do Geography so will do that there and the 5 others externally.

Do you mind me asking what texts, films are you doing for English. It def was not my strong subject so I'm a bit concerned about doing it.

Also if you are using Global Business, what issue is the book? Thanks a mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

I haven't bought any business or accounting books yet as only doing these for points (will study these after xmas as have acca exams done). So should be handy points... hopefully... the papers look handy anyhow!

I have to resit every mandatory subject for medicine :( so thats why im doing english, french & irish. I'm not expecting an A in english but since i have to do it i might as well do it at higher level. I'm weak at irish so just hoping to pass irish, not sure how much french i remember but again just looking to pass :).
    I'll be studying macbeth but just as a comparative as i hate hate hate shakespear with a passion. Can't understand why they don't put Bram Stoker & Dracula on the list instead, he's a great writer, world famous book and he's irish, what the f***! I'll be studying Wuthering Heights as my main text, and macbeth, pompeii & emma as comparative texts. I think education.ie have the list of choices for this coming year. I'm not studying any film. Will rely on the great wonderful internet for notes on my selected texts (fingers crossed)..! There's 8 poets to learn, 6 poems each, so i will probably pick 4 or 5 poets out of it.
    I'll be doing higher levels maths as i will need the 25 extra points. Regarding the negativity, i'm very lucky to have a very supportive partner who luckily is a nerd, so is very encouraging. I found people were more positive & respectful once i had it done. Now everyone is very positive about next year. I think the problem people have is that they can't imagine that you will put in the work required. Once i proved that i could work hard, everyone has been much more supportive. I'm also going to attend a foundation science course in NUIG. This will cover biology, chemistry, physics & maths, so figure this will help keep me on track..!:)

Cheers. Looks like your fairly sorted:).
    I think I'm going to do accounting instead of English.
    If I could get a b2 in it, I'd be happy!
    The more I think about English, the more bored I get!:o
    Thanks for your help.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭KKBL

borrch wrote: »
    I haven't bought any business or accounting books yet as only doing these for points (will study these after xmas as have acca exams done). So should be handy points... hopefully... the papers look handy anyhow!

I have to resit every mandatory subject for medicine :( so thats why im doing english, french & irish. I'm not expecting an A in english but since i have to do it i might as well do it at higher level. I'm weak at irish so just hoping to pass irish, not sure how much french i remember but again just looking to pass :).
    I'll be studying macbeth but just as a comparative as i hate hate hate shakespear with a passion. Can't understand why they don't put Bram Stoker & Dracula on the list instead, he's a great writer, world famous book and he's irish, what the f***! I'll be studying Wuthering Heights as my main text, and macbeth, pompeii & emma as comparative texts. I think education.ie have the list of choices for this coming year. I'm not studying any film. Will rely on the great wonderful internet for notes on my selected texts (fingers crossed)..! There's 8 poets to learn, 6 poems each, so i will probably pick 4 or 5 poets out of it.
    I'll be doing higher levels maths as i will need the 25 extra points. Regarding the negativity, i'm very lucky to have a very supportive partner who luckily is a nerd, so is very encouraging. I found people were more positive & respectful once i had it done. Now everyone is very positive about next year. I think the problem people have is that they can't imagine that you will put in the work required. Once i proved that i could work hard, everyone has been much more supportive. I'm also going to attend a foundation science course in NUIG. This will cover biology, chemistry, physics & maths, so figure this will help keep me on track..!:)

I think its brilliant that your pursuing your dreams and havn't given up on them so long after you originally did the LC :) Just wondering what is your profession at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

crayon1 wrote: »
    I've seen people go back after 1 year and repeat the leaving, but to be honest it's a struggle for them because you forget everything and the courses would change! I'd say it would be pretty difficult to go an repeat the whole leaving again! :confused:

Couldn't disagree more. I could still recite off answers for Irish poems, business and quotes in English from both the first time I did the leaving and last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

One of the guys in my class repeated his Leaving Cert last year (he was 21 there in May). The age difference is considerable, but he's so happy he went back and did it, because all he wanted to do was the course he's in now!

If you want it, please don't deny yourself it. I would admire anyone who goes through another sitting of the Leaving Cert, especially for something they want to do so much.
    Good luck with your decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

I repeated and it was the best thing I have done so far.

1. I increased by 90 points
    2. Met great friends
    3. Matured greatly

The only thing I messed up by accepting a course which wasn't my first choice and I hate it. I want to change my career path.
    Anyway, repeating the leaving certificate isn't as awful as it sounds. I met great friends who I am still in touch with. I matured a lot which was no harm! It also gives you more thinking space with what you want to do with your life.
    There is a great variety with students - I met a girl who did a year of Arts, dropped out, and is now doing Midwifery. I met a guy who had a science degree but returned to obtain points for his original dream course.

Repeating is not the end of the world. I enjoyed it. I would recommend it.

Good luck OP

Advertisement