Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ipad 2 vs Ipad 3

• 11-07-2012 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Was in my local expert center earlier today and noticed that they are now stocking both the Ipad 2 and the Ipad 3. The reason why I shop in the expert store is because I can pay it off every week.

The Ipad 2 is €479 and the Ipad 3 is €579. I'd only be using the Ipad for browsing the web , Facebook , Twitter, Youtube etc. So is it worth paying the extra €100 for the Ipad 3?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The main difference is the screen. Compare them side by side and decide if you think the iPad 3's Retina display is worth it. For the sake of a 100, I'd recommend getting the iPad 3. It could mean getting another year of OS updates. Apple have already dropped the iPad 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

IrishJames wrote: »
    So is it worth paying the extra €100 for the Ipad 3?

Definitely worth it. My old iPad's screen looks fuzzy in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭cc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I don;t know what an expert store is?

Why are the prices 100 Euro more expensive :confused:

Anyway i've used both quite a lot and own a 3rd ipad

The new ipad has an amazing screen , it really makes the ipad 2 look like a knock off. Its also much faster and can handle games much easier.

The new ipad is going to be supported by apple for next few years , while the ipad 2 is nearing the end of its support , only one more year.

Though the ipad 3 does have a few down sides , its battery is a little less than the ipad 2 (an hour) but it takes twice as long to charge. Due to the bigger battery (to power the screen)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Definitely get an iPad 3 if you can afford it.. Apple are denying the ios6 update to iPad one despite the fact that it's only around for two years and the fact that it could run several of the iOS 6 features. That is the apple way, they don't intend you keep your product for years and will deny older I devices updates so that consumers are forced to buy the latest model if they want to run the latest apps.If you want longevity out of your iPad go with the latest.

If you're only looking for a casual tablet and don't care about longevity check out the refurb section on the apple site where iPad 2 goes for as little as 319.Apple refurbs are very good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Kenno90 wrote: »

The new ipad has an amazing screen , it really makes the ipad 2 look like a knock off. Its also much faster and can handle games much easier.

Personally I haven't found that to be the case, in my experience the speed is much of a muchness, I assumed that was down to the extra power required to drive the hi-res screen on the ipad3.

Just a thought, since apple dropped ipad1 support after 2 years (if you bought the ipad1 on it's release date), what's to stop them dropping ipad3 2 years from now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't think we'll see iPad 2 and 3 support dropped as quick. The iPad 1 was a first gen device with insufficient RAM. It was barely able to run iOS 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Mactard wrote: »

Personally I haven't found that to be the case, in my experience the speed is much of a muchness, I assumed that was down to the extra power required to drive the hi-res screen on the ipad3.

Just a thought, since apple dropped ipad1 support after 2 years (if you bought the ipad1 on it's release date), what's to stop them dropping ipad3 2 years from now?

Nothing.They'll drop ipad2 sooner though.For the sake of a hundred euro the OP might prefer to get an extra year of full support out of their purchase. It mightn't turn out to be an issue but previous form would suggest its likely that iPad two will get the apple heave ho quicker than 3.A point worthy of consideration I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Mactard wrote: »

Nothing they probably will, but they'll drop support for it at least a year sooner than the ipad 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Nothing they probably will, but they'll drop support for it at least a year sooner than the ipad 2

makes me glad I didn't upgrade to the ipad 3...now I can snigger at them when my ipad2 gets IOS 8 etc :D muhahhahha...

unless the op got it wrong ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I'd only be using the Ipad for browsing the web , Facebook , Twitter, Youtube etc. So is it worth paying the extra €100 for the Ipad 3?

Yes - the "only using it for..." lasts about a day...because as I found out you very quickly start using the ipad for games, photos, movies, netflix and whatever else catches your attention in the appstore.

i assume from the pricing you are looking at 32gb - I would definitely get the larger size as apps for ipad 3 can be quite large.

(I know you have the payment plan with expert, but one thing to note if you decide on the ipad 2 - you can get refurbished ones in the apple store starting at €319 for a 16gb and €379 for the 32gb, but you need to keep and eye on stock and pounce when available)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

What accessories should I looking to get when I buy it?

Whats boards.ie like on the ipad ie does it fit to screen? on the Ipod touch boards.ie is a nightmare to browse same with most other websites for that matter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

James__10 wrote: »
    What accessories should I looking to get when I buy it?

Whats boards.ie like on the ipad ie does it fit to screen? on the Ipod touch boards.ie is a nightmare to browse same with most other websites for that matter!

A protective cover is a must, and in my opinion, a book style case which covers all them nice "curvy" corners and also the screen in one, is great for protecting your investment. I got a cheapie from amazon with the magnetic screen shutoff. Tis grand.

Excellent browsing experience on the ipad.

On the IP4, I personally have always preferred the "full site" option and I pinch zoom where necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 IrishJames

dodzy wrote: »
    A protective cover is a must, and in my opinion, a book style case which covers all them nice "curvy" corners and also the screen in one, is great for protecting your investment. I got a cheapie from amazon with the magnetic screen shutoff. Tis grand.

Excellent browsing experience on the ipad.

On the IP4, I personally have always preferred the "full site" option and I pinch zoom where necessary.

Thats great. I'll be getting some ipad accessories pack with the ipad which is included in the initial charge but i doubt I'll be getting much!

I'll be using the ipad for long periods. Is it difficult to handle? ie get sore on your hands when holding it? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Is it difficult to handle? ie get sore on your hands when holding it? :confused:
    No & No - it will become an extension of your arm in no time.

Is it possible to use a bluetooth mouse with the ipad?

Think i'll pick of this below

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Wireless-Keyboard-Aluminium-Generation/dp/B007TDNW3I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1342216102&sr=8-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I was making the same decision last week, had a look at them side by side in PC World and went for a refurbished ipad2. It arrived on Wednesday and it was faulty :( - just kept crashing and hanging so is going back. I was going to get another one from the refurb store decided yesterday I didn't want to wait lol and got the ipad3. The screen is so much clearer so really glad I have the 3 now - the screen on the 2 is fuzzy compared to it. I didn't see it I the shop but can see it now after playing with my iPad 3 since yesterday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I have used both, and tbh, havent found much of a difference between both. For the sake of 100 euros, I would probably get the iPad 2. My experience with the iPad three was that the retina display is great, however, in practice, doesnt offer as much as an advantage over the lower resolution iPad 2 as the iPhone 4 did over the iPhone 3GS. In the iphones case, the overall smaller size of the screens on both devices meant that websites could be viewed alot easier than with the iphone 4 than the 3GS. However, due the much larger screens of the iPads, this didnt offer as much as an advantage.

Also, i found the ipad 3 to be a bit more bulky than the ipad 2, due to the added weight and slightly bigger thickness. In addition, charging the ipad 3 takes longer (even though the ipad 3 charger supplies 2 amps, compared to 1 amp for the ipad 2). It doesnt charge at all while you are using it and charging it over usb on a computer (the usb standard only allows 0.5 amps), which is a pain as i develop apps for the ipads and have to test them out while they are plugged into my laptop.

Under iOS 5, there is negligible speed difference, although that may change under iOS 6 or even iOS 7, which may drop support for the iPad 2. However, this isnt going to happen for ages, so at the moment, I would advise to get an iPad 2 and keep the 100 quid in your pocket. Just sell off the ipad 2 and get the ipad 4 when it comes out. You will save money in the long term and wont notice much of a loss in your day to day use of the device.

I think i'll go for the ipad 3

There is some sort of accessory pack with it not too sure what I will get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Ipad 2 is thinner and ligther but not by much, you do feel it when you hold both in each hand.
    In everyday use the only real difference is the screen, and at less than 10" I dont see the point. Its advantage is looking at pictures and not much else, most game/apps don't take advantage of the higher resolution. The SKY sports app still looks brilliant on the ipad 2.

I got a refurb 16gb ipad 2 for €319, a saving of €160 over the ipad 3.

• Advertisement

Ipad 2 is thinner and ligther but not by much, you do feel it when you hold both in each hand.
    In everyday use the only real difference is the screen, and at less than 10" I dont see the point. Its advantage is looking at pictures and not much else, most game/apps don't take advantage of the higher resolution. The SKY sports app still looks brilliant on the ipad 2.

I got a refurb 16gb ipad 2 for €319, a saving of €160 over the ipad 3.

I be using the laptop every day for prolonged periods of time so i'll be using the ipad for the same amounts of time.

What is the Sky Sports app ? Do you need sky go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I be using the laptop every day for prolonged periods of time so i'll be using the ipad for the same amounts of time.

What is the Sky Sports app ? Do you need sky go?
    Meant to say SKY sport news, but yes, like SKY GO you will need to be a SKY tv customer.

Finally got my hands on the iPad 3 and I have to say I'm very impressed :D I've downloaded the fb twitter sky sports and Imdb app. What are the other must have apps?

Flipboard is beautiful on the ipad3, you can add your social media accounts and various other topics of interest.

I've noticed that the power cord I got with the charger is very small. Where would I get my hands on a bigger one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

cisk wrote: »
    Flipboard is beautiful on the ipad3, you can add your social media accounts and various other topics of interest.

+1 for Flipboard ... fantastic app!

Advertisement