Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Thread (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Here is one i cant find an answer to at the moment...

If i order something like the 7 inch tablet for 55 euro from china which has its own thread in BA, and i get it delivered to the NI parcel motel address, and then onto my local parcel motel here, what is the story with customs?

Is there a chance it might go under the radar? or could i be hit with uk and Irl customs charges?

Confused!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Access wrote: »

If i order something like the 7 inch tablet for 55 euro from china which has its own thread in BA, and i get it delivered to the NI parcel motel address, and then onto my local parcel motel here, what is the story with customs?

Is there a chance it might go under the radar? or could i be hit with uk and Irl customs charges?

Confused!

From their FAQ;

What happens if there is VAT and/or Duty due on my item?

Please ensure that any charges payable are paid in advance of delivery. Parcel Motel will not accept responsibility for payment of any VAT or Duty charges due on items delivered. If the postal operator or courier asks for cash on delivery, your item will be refused by us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Only available in UK but may suit any U.K people on here.

1- https://secure.sweatshop.co.uk/index.cfm Go to here.
    2-Order anything up till £10.
    3- Use Discount code TGHJ12 (£10 off no minimum spend.)
    4- Click Deliver to local store which is free.
    5- Pick up free items.

Delivery to Northern Ireland is £3.99 so people who have Parcel Motel accounts may want this.

May aswell post this here also, might be beneficial to someone.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    From their FAQ;

What happens if there is VAT and/or Duty due on my item?

Please ensure that any charges payable are paid in advance of delivery. Parcel Motel will not accept responsibility for payment of any VAT or Duty charges due on items delivered. If the postal operator or courier asks for cash on delivery, your item will be refused by us.

I did spot that on the site...

I take it so that if UK customs were due on a package coming into the NI depot, they would just refuse it?

Come on parcel motel... please clarify this... am waiting to order a few things from outside the EU!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Come on parcel motel... please clarify this

What do you want them to clarify, that you haven't already interpreted from the snippet quoted from their website? How much hand-holding do you want!? Is there an other way to interpret that FAQ, that's confusing you, or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭living

cgarvey wrote: »
    What do you want them to clarify, that you haven't already interpreted from the snippet quoted from their website? How much hand-holding do you want!? Is there an other way to interpret that FAQ, that's confusing you, or something?

I also think it's pretty clear, they are not going to pay for any type of charges

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

I asked them on Twitter if there was a plan for a location in Drogheda and they say they have secured a location in the area so should be up and running soon.

May be a location that is closer to some on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Does anyone know if they have any intention of going further afield?

Into Europe? It's probably early days yet, but i was hoping somebody might have heard a whisper.

I'd imagine if they are, it'd be based on the success of this.
    Only info i can find about them and Europe is about the company they bought the lockers from in Poland - InPost.

It'd be brilliant if they did venture further. :) (It's a brilliant service anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Ordered a pair of iPhone headphones from amazon on Wednesday and got my text from parcelmotel today. First time I've got a delivery on a Sunday!

cgarvey wrote: »

Do you want a step ladder to get down off that high horse of yours?

The point is that no mention is made by PM... (and im sure i am not the only one wanting to know about getting items from outside the EU)... about incoming item refusals due to owing customs charges etc.

I did send off a PM to Orla some while back, but no reply... hence the reason of asking for clarification.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Ok - Let me address your question again.

Confused!

If it goes under the radar - ie the postal operator delivering to the NI address does not charge customs duty then you will get the delivery.

If you have pre paid customs duty before it reaches the NI address you will get the delivery. (assuming no additional charges are sought by the postal operator )

If the postal operator delivering to the NI address looks for any payment they will refuse it. you will not get the delivery.

Duty is only chargeable between non EU and EU countries.
    Once it lands in the EU no more customs duties are applicable if it is sent on to another member state.

In short - Don't chance it.

hth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

OK, so buying tech from China is a no no. But I was thinking , when you buy off Amazon uk and send it to an Eire address they apply 23% VAT whereas with the N Irl Motel address they would only apply Uk 20%.
    I'm sure this will take off as its a fantastic way to get around the "sorry we do not ship to your address". But Revenue might step in as they would be losing the VAT from large online retailers as UK VAt is being paid not Irish Vat.
    Sorry if this has been said already..... interesting though.

Thanks to Orla at parcel motel for the reply and clarification:
    Hi there

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you and for any confusion around VAT & Duty charges. If an item arrives in our Belfast or Dublin depot with VAT and or Duty charges due, we will refuse the delivery. So it is important that you make sure all charges are paid prior to delivery. Most couriers will contact you to tell you if money is due. If you get something delivered to Belfast UK Vat & Duty will apply. The Uk VAT rate is 20% the duty will depend on each individual item. I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but Parcel Motel is desgined as a simple fast and convenient way to receive parcels and getting into the VAT & duty side of things makes it very complicated!

Hope this answers your question.

So like mik_da_man says, if you are looking to get something from outside the EU via parcel motel... dont chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭bondja80

I am thinking to order pc monitor 24" from amazon.it from Italy. Shipping from Italy to Uk is 7€, and to Ireland is 24€.
    Did somebody order from amazon.it and what is experience?
    Will parcelmotel in nort ireland accept this item and resend to me here in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

maybe too big to fit in parcel motel locker.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭bondja80

stanley1 wrote: »
    maybe too big to fit in parcel motel locker.
    Is it possible to pick up from parcelmotel central in Finglas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Do you want a step ladder to get down off that high horse of yours?

I'll stay up here thanks, if you think your hand-holding needy type demands are reasonable. This is not a ParcelMotel support site. Despite your question already being answered in this thread, despite it being answered on their website, and despite mik_da_man going out of his/her way to answer your question (twice, actually), you still demanded a response from a rep who shouldn't even be here. You have your answer from Orla now, and there's nothing new in there that wasn't answered here/on their website. So if you think I am/was on a high horse, it was more in disbelief that you could really be that needy/demanding. I genuinely thought I was missing something obvious, which is why I was indirect.
    bondja80 wrote: »
    Is it possible to pick up from parcelmotel central in Finglas?
    Yes. It's the second FAQ on their site. €3.50 fee still applies. I'd suggest contacting them to stop the parcel going out to some motel for 48hrs before going back to Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭zu

Confused!

I can't understand why one would order from China or anywhere else outside the EU through the UK address?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

zu wrote: »
    I can't understand why one would order from China or anywhere else outside the EU through the UK address?

With some types of items ordered from the likes of China there might a question as to the authenticity of said item, in these cases Irish customs will more often than not 'destroy' these items. UK customs aren't as strict and are generally happy to just let it through or sometimes make you pay customs charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

With some types of items ordered from the likes of China there might a question as to the authenticity of said item, in these cases Irish customs will more often than not 'destroy' these items. UK customs aren't as strict and are generally happy to just let it through or sometimes make you pay customs charges.

Destroy! Lol, there is a lad walking around Portlaoise now in my Nikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

T-shirt and mug from the facebook comp \o/

8bad015c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

Parcel motels are great and i even won a PS3 off them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Hey,

Has anyone used PM with MandMDirect.ie ?

I've ordered stuff but was not able to change the delivery address to the PM address. I've emailed MandMDirect customer service to see if they'll change the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Parcel Motel are really going to help me beef up my retro console and games collection.

Already ordered a Sega Saturn game from an Ebayer that wanted a ridiculous amount for postage to Ireland (£26). He was offering free delivery in the UK and as I've just signed up to Parcel Motel I get my first two orders for free!

It was dispatched yesterday so I wonder if I'll get a text from Parcel Motel today... here's hoping! Seems to be a great service anyway, I plan to buy a personal home server from Amazon too come Friday (PAYDAY BABY!) and going by the dimensions on their site the box should fit in their biggest drawer...

Somebody should have done this a long time ago it really does seem to be a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

You always get a text at 7am the day the Parcel is available. One way to check if you're due is to login to your a/c and see if you've been debited. If you are then you should get a text the next day at 7am.

I've had 4 deliveries now and each time you can see the debit the day before the Parcel is available.

s.welstead wrote: »
    You always get a text at 7am the day the Parcel is available. One way to check if you're due is to login to your a/c and see if you've been debited. If you are then you should get a text the next day at 7am.

I've had 4 deliveries now and each time you can see the debit the day before the Parcel is available.

Good tip, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I seem to be emailed at 2-3am then text at 7.

I won't be getting it tomorrow then, thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Got my 2nd amazon parcel. saved me a fortune as they wouldnt even ship here.

going to top up my account.

Also the 1st text I got arrived at 11am when I got it, the 2nd one arrived before 6 am today.
    Time to top up my account so.
    If Orla is reading this cheers, great service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

One of these would be great in Galway

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement