Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Thread (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

booooonzo wrote: »
    Thanks Toxica,

I had seen that alright so i was wondering is there a way for me to pay the duty so as the item is not returned to sender.

I'm guessing it would be UK duty due?

Duty is only payable on goods valued over £135 and is waived if the duty is less than £9 in total.

See 3.1 here: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P144_11110

The gift rate of duty is as low as 2.5% - effectively allowing a £360 helmet all in (including US taxes and P&P) through Parcel Motel without charges

The actual rate Custom Duty rates for specific product types varies according to 'commodity code':

There are around 14,000 different classifications. The duty rate percentage for each may vary according to the country the goods come from. The average percentage is between 5 and 9 per cent, but it can be as low as 0 per cent or as high as 85 per cent.

To find out the Customs Duty rate for a product you can contact HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) VAT Helpline or the Customs, International Trade & Excise enquiries.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/tax-and-duty.htm#1

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

styron wrote: »
    Duty is only payable on goods valued over £135 and is waived if the duty is less than £9 in total.

See 3.1 here: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P144_11110

The gift rate of duty is as low as 2.5% - effectively allowing a £360 helmet all in (including US taxes and P&P) through Parcel Motel without charges

The actual rate Custom Duty rates for specific product types varies according to 'commodity code':

There are around 14,000 different classifications. The duty rate percentage for each may vary according to the country the goods come from. The average percentage is between 5 and 9 per cent, but it can be as low as 0 per cent or as high as 85 per cent.

To find out the Customs Duty rate for a product you can contact HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) VAT Helpline or the Customs, International Trade & Excise enquiries.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/tax-and-duty.htm#1

Thats very interesting as I had 2 seperate deliveries returned to USA recently with no explanation whatsoever. A set of guitar machine heads valued at about 40 euro and a pick up for guitar valued at 220 dollars--whatever that works out at in euros. No message to say there was duty to pay--I would have gladly paid it--or no contact from parcel motel regarding this.
    My feeling now about parcel motel is that they are ok for deliveries from UK or Europe but no proper policy for usa deliveries

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

rusty999 wrote: »
    Thats very interesting as I had 2 seperate deliveries returned to USA recently with no explanation whatsoever. A set of guitar machine heads valued at about 40 euro and a pick up for guitar valued at 220 dollars--whatever that works out at in euros. No message to say there was duty to pay--I would have gladly paid it--or no contact from parcel motel regarding this.
    My feeling now about parcel motel is that they are ok for deliveries from UK or Europe but no proper policy for usa deliveries

It's in their FAQ.
    Please ensure that any charges payable are paid in advance of delivery. Parcel Motel will not accept responsibility for payment of any VAT or Duty charges due on items delivered. If the postal operator or courier asks for cash on delivery, your item will be refused by us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

In fairness to them they do state clearly that if any duties are to be paid on the parcel, then the parcel will be refused.

When the delivery guy arrives with the parcel and is looking for payment, it would not be practical for them to attempt to contact you to see if you are happy to pay it (or not).

It's in their FAQ.

Fair enough, but how does one pay in advance ? As far as i can see theres no way. If I buy something on Ebay there is usually no way of finding out how much duty to pay and where to arrange to pay it -if there is then please would someone explain how to do it. Granted a small percentage of sellers in USA have duty included in their prices but thats usually for within the usa and not for UK. The problem here is that because the delivery address is in Antrim, UK Northern Ireland the item never reaches the republics customs service and gets sent back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Fair enough, but how does one pay in advance ? As far as i can see theres no way. If I buy something on Ebay there is usually no way of finding out how much duty to pay and where to arrange to pay it -if there is then please would someone explain how to do it. Granted a small percentage of sellers in USA have duty included in their prices but thats usually for within the usa and not for UK. The problem here is that because the delivery address is in Antrim, UK Northern Ireland the item never reaches the republics customs service and gets sent back.

Why not get sent directly to you? You'll get notification from the mail centre or courier and pay then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Moreover, Parcel Motel T's & C's state clearly that they will not accept parcels on which duty has to be paid.

If I order anything from outside the EU, then I have it sent direct, and pre-pay the duty if needed. If there's duty to be paid, then you'll be informed by either the carrier or Revenue.

Saves a lot of faffing about.

Update--have now got a message from both sellers to say No--they have not yet recieved them back and contact my local post office. But theres no point in doing that if the items are being held at Uk customs somewhere and they have no intention of contacting the addressee- parcel motel. Would anyone know how to get in touch with Northern Ireland Customs or where would they be based ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Just got a text and email saying mg balance is too low to process my parcel.
    The thing is I'm not expecting a parcel at all.
    Did anyone else get this or any idea what this could be about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Just got a text and email saying mg balance is too low to process my parcel.
    The thing is I'm not expecting a parcel at all.
    Did anyone else get this or any idea what this could be about?

I got three junk mails last week. Only refunded for one so far.

They really need to do something about it, as nearly all UK sites you buy from follow up with crap. Even when you think you've unchecked them all.

The ones in Poland can prevent Junkmail. Not sure how they do it, I think it's mentioned early on in this thread. It looks like I'm going to have to email them again about refunds :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

I got an SMS from them also so that's doubtful. I'd say they mixed up the PM ID numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

I've used PM 6/7 times and every time without fail the SMS alerts have either arrived after 22:30 or before 7:30. Now I seriously doubt that the couriers are dropping the parcels into the lockers at that time so I wonder could parcel motel be 1) either experiencing delays in sending out the SMSs (Could be system related) or 2) system deliberately sending the messages at this time in order to give people crap 48h windows to collect the stuff as one of the previous posters mentioned, rationale being to increase chances of having to pay twice? Or am I just terribly skeptical!?

Also, as an FYI the lost my GF's parcel in Dec (they had signed for it from the royal mail). Took them about two weeks to admit it, and about another two weeks to send a cheque for the value of the item after 3, maybe 4 emails asking for an update. If any of you random SMSers open the locker to a loccitane gift set I hope you enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

^^^Check out your "settings" on the PM site. I was only getting texts at those hours too and I discovered that it was because it was set to that on "Mobile Availability" section (The times when you would like to receive notification texts) Change the settings to "between midnight to midnight" and it should sort that issue out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 billyoshea

Signed up to buy something from Uk,registered my visa with them,how does the payment of 3.50 go through and when? ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

billyoshea wrote: »
    Signed up to buy something from Uk,registered my visa with them,how does the payment of 3.50 go through and when? ta

Its taken from your card when your package arrives into their depot in Antrim/Finglas and is scanned into PM's system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:eek: Just got three books from one ebay bookseller in UK - 'Speedyhen' . They have good prices and free UK shipping. I didn't expect they would split the order up into three packets !
    Lesson learnt folks, don't forget to tell the retailers to send one packet if using Parcel Motel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

recipio wrote: »
    :eek: Just got three books from one ebay bookseller in UK - 'Speedyhen' . They have good prices and free UK shipping. I didn't expect they would split the order up into three packets !
    Lesson learnt folks, don't forget to tell the retailers to send one packet if using Parcel Motel.

Hate when this happens, its just happened me again with Amazon, 2 items, 1 seller, theyve sent as 2 seperate orders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭mark_79

Just used it for the first time. It's like the future! :D

Brilliant idea though, got a Blu-Ray player from superfi via Amazon. Had to go through them as I got lots of Amazon vouchers at Christmas so it cost me a lot less than the rrp.

Free postage into the bargain too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭sandra_b

I received text this morning that my parcel is ready for collection.
    I don't expect anything + I don't have any credit.

Photo in my account is very poor quality, is there any way to zoom?
    The problem is that I am not near "my" PM location and I have to ask a friend to collect it for me.
    Is there any way they can check is it junk mail? And how do I return it (if it is not mine)?

sandra_b wrote: »
    I received text this morning that my parcel is ready for collection.
    I don't expect anything + I don't have any credit.

Most likely spam. I have had to remove my card from my account. I am getting tons of junk mail. :(
    I've had €35 removed and so far €21 put back on my card. Unfortunately removing the card doesn't make it any easier. The texts and emails keep coming.

Parcel Motel have been helpful. They have allowed me to collect one or two for free, so that I could find out who they are and cancel them. Unfortunately it's not always easy for me to collect them within the 48 hours.

I'm pretty sure Littlewoods are one of the worst offenders even though i have never purchased anything from them.

MandMdirect also send post even though this is, and was unticked
    Please tick if you’d like to receive offers and catalogues via the post from MandMDirect.

I think Amazon are another.
    I haven't signed up for an awful lot, so I don't know where all this junk is coming from. It's getting worse. :mad:

(Not PM's fault.)

I don't have card connected to PM and my credit iz zero.
    Does this look like Amazon to you:

p.s. I attached image, how to post it directly to the message?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

I don't have card connected to PM and my credit iz zero.
    Does this look like Amazon to you:

p.s. I attached image, how to post it directly to the message?

Definitely looks like Amazon to me.
    --
    Copy & paste that into your post :)
    [Img] https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/379294/289538.jpg[/IMG ]

Thank you :) I was not sure as image is very poor quality. They are the only company that I used with PM.

I am wondering how it get delivered as I on't have any credit. I'll remove PM from Amazon account.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

If you haven't ordered anything, and its been assigned to your account its possible that someone left their PMID out and PM assigned it with your account because the names were the same.

Do you have an Amazon wish list? Someone might have bought your something from it.

I asked my friend to collect it. I am concerned about the hassle of returning it if it is not mine ... I hope it is just junk, promotion or something :)

I asked my friend to collect it. I am concerned about the hassle of returning it if it is not mine ... I hope it is just junk, promotion or something :)

It doesn't look like junk, I'd be pretty confident that it isn't.

Junk is usually just an envelope. could be a book. It looks slim enough.
    I doubt you could have any hassle returning it, as they made the mistake.

The problem is PM location is not near me so I have to ask somene else to go there and return the parcel.
    Is it possible that PM can collect from my house in case it is their error?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Barti

Quick question, I was looking around the Parcel Motel website and searched on Google but I can't find anything at the moment to do with the Refer a Friend option where I would get a free stay when they signed up. Is this promotion still going on or did it stop at some point?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement