Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Thread (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

One of these would be great in Galway

I'd say that this seems to be a trial run. If it's successful and the numbers are good for Interlink then I'm sure they'll roll it out nationwide.

From the feedback I've seen from here so far I can't see why they wouldn't.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

18% of commercial buildings vacant in Galway! :) Plenty of spots.
    Looks the same in the likes of Castlebar and Claremorris.

I have a big shed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Achilles wrote: »
    numbers are good for Interlink then I'm sure they'll roll it out nationwide.

I think it is NIGHTLINE, not Interlink.

eamonnq wrote: »
    I think it is NIGHTLINE, not Interlink.

You'd be correct. My bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fif

Hi everyone I signed up to parcel motel all fine. I ordered cosmetics from Amazon and gave the Northern Ireland address and got the email from Amazon on Thursday 16th August saying the item had shipped. I still haven't got my text from Parcel Motel - in people's experience is this a little bit of a long time? Should I begin investigating (and how?!)?
    Thanks - it seems like a great idea anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

fif wrote: »
    Hi everyone I signed up to parcel motel all fine. I ordered cosmetics from Amazon and gave the Northern Ireland address and got the email from Amazon on Thursday 16th August saying the item had shipped. I still haven't got my text from Parcel Motel - in people's experience is this a little bit of a long time? Should I begin investigating (and how?!)?
    Thanks - it seems like a great idea anyway!

From getting my Amazon dispatch email and getting the sms from ParcelMotel took 3 days (or slightly less as it was in the locker by 7am).

I don't know how you'd investigate it, but it really seems like you should!

Perhaps double check the PMID you used in your amazon address?

breathn wrote: »
    From getting my Amazon dispatch email and getting the sms from ParcelMotel took 3 days (or slightly less as it was in the locker by 7am).

I don't know how you'd investigate it, but it really seems like you should!

Perhaps double check the PMID you used in your amazon address?

Yeah I thought it seemed a little long alright! The PMID is correct alright and it looks like I have been deducted €3.50 from my free credit so I will wait until tomorrow and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Yeah I thought it seemed a little long alright! The PMID is correct alright and it looks like I have been deducted €3.50 from my free credit so I will wait until tomorrow and see what happens.

The 3.50 only got deducted from my credit after my parcel was in the locker and I got the txt.

It'd be worth contacting PM directly then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Achilles wrote: »
    You'd be correct. My bad!

Its nightline parcel-motel.png

Well it's all Kool and the Gang. I made contact and my parcel had arrived into Parcel Motel today so the €3.50 was deducted today and the package will go out for delivery tomorrow. I had used the Belfast address so that might have something to do with the deduction happening before the text in this case. Very impressed with the immediate response from Parcel Motel to my query.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Used this for the first time yesterday and all went well.

Quick question, would there be any reason we couldn't buy something like a TV from an English site, send it to Antrim and then pick it up in Finglas and all for €3.50 (assuming delivery was free to UK)?

I'm not thinking about doing the above, but would be interested in knowing if there is any reason I couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,884 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Nolimits wrote: »
    I'm not thinking about doing the above, but would be interested in knowing if there is any reason I couldn't.
    Haven't used them but from a quick read on the FAQ earlier, anything that doesn't fit in one of their lockers goes to their depot in Finglas and there's a supplement delivery charge there.

That plus insurance on the item only covers up to €100... which is fine as long as nothing went wrong, but risky with a big purchase!

Got my delivery text this morning, can't wait to pick it up at lunchtime now. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I see they've added a few more locations to their website although still exclusively centred around the Greater Dublin area...

tallpaul wrote: »
    I see they've added a few more locations to their website although still exclusively centred around the Greater Dublin area...

Give them time... they'll venture outside the county soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

tallpaul wrote: »

to be fair its where the greater density of population is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Yesterday I got an sms that a package was ready for collection, turns out in my haste I had picked dolphins barn instead of browns barn. I rang customer service and they moved the parcel overnight for me.

I had to pay another 3.50 which is fine but I didn't have to wait for my 48 hours to expire.

I can't say enough about how great this service is, even given the fact that I'm 40 mins from the nearest one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Got the last of my 3 free drops today. Topped up my account already.
    cant rate them any higher. within walking distance now as well. hope it rolls out countrywide :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Changed my motel to the Omni one. Do I wait 24 hours before ordering something now Or can I order and it will be changed by the time the parcel gets here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

I changed my address halfway through an order * it was already ordered from amazon but I am unsure if it was shipped. might not have been. it was changed then and there and within a day or 2 I got the text telling me it was in.

• Advertisement

I'd say that as long as it hasn't been received by the Antrim office yet (if the order you got offers tracking then you can tell) and you change your preffered address now it'll still get to your new preference.

They won't check where it's supposed to go until it arrives into one of their depos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Interesting article in the Economist about Parcelmotel type services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Yesterday I got an sms that a package was ready for collection, turns out in my haste I had picked dolphins barn instead of browns barn. I rang customer service and they moved the parcel overnight for me.

I had to pay another 3.50 which is fine but I didn't have to wait for my 48 hours to expire.

And today they refunded the 3.50 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Not sure if this has been spotted before, i only noticed it last night when i was ordering a camera from amazon. When Amazon are shipping to an Irish address they charge the full Irish 23% VAT, when they are shipping to a UK address they only charge the UK's 20% VAT. It was actually slightly cheaper for me to have it shipped to my parcel motel address than having it shipped to my home address with free shipping!

While i was at it i took up the 1 months free trial of amazon prime and got free overnight delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

mbroaders wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been spotted before, i only noticed it last night when i was ordering a camera from amazon. When Amazon are shipping to an Irish address they charge the full Irish 23% VAT, when they are shipping to a UK address they only charge the UK's 20% VAT. It was actually slightly cheaper for me to have it shipped to my parcel motel address than having it shipped to my home address with free shipping!

While i was at it i took up the 1 months free trial of amazon prime and got free overnight delivery.

Yea, I was thinking the same a few days ago. But whatever about saving a few quid with the vat difference, when Amazon charge 23% they do this as they are giving the Vat charged to the Irish government. When they charge the 20% it goes to UK coffers right?

AFAIK uk sites have to do this when they reach a certain treshold in business in ROI. So.... wouldn't revenue get pretty annoyed if this VAT stream gets cut off by services such as parcel motel........

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Yea, I was thinking the same a few days ago. But whatever about saving a few quid with the vat difference, when Amazon charge 23% they do this as they are giving the Vat charged to the Irish government. When they charge the 20% it goes to UK coffers right?

AFAIK uk sites have to do this when they reach a certain treshold in business in ROI. So.... wouldn't revenue get pretty annoyed if this VAT stream gets cut off by services such as parcel motel........

Not much they can do. Goods are technically sold in the UK.

They would get VAT on the parcel motel fee though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

If you go to Newry or Belfast and buy something, the same principle applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Hello there 8888

To save on the difference between VAT rates using parcel motel (assuming you're paying €3.50) the item would have to cost more than €116.67 before vat is applied which would show as €140 on amazon website. I know the price on amazon is in £ but obviously the exchange rate changes so youd have to convert €140 into £ at that daily exchange rate. Well worth it for small electronics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Used this for the first time yesterday. Absolutely brilliant service.

Did I read above that someone had 3 free deliveries? How do you go about getting the 3rd, as I only have 2 but will definitely be using Parcel Motel regularly so a 3rd would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,884 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Did I read above that someone had 3 free deliveries? How do you go about getting the 3rd, as I only have 2 but will definitely be using Parcel Motel regularly so a 3rd would be nice.
    Think those who registered interest a few days before it went live got 3.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement