Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Thread (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 ZombieSkelper

In my experience it is, which could be just down to luck... That's not the purpose of PM, so you can't really complain about that.

I can't complain if I happen to be the only isolated case where it has taken 4+ days for a delivery, when it's been faster for everybody else? That seems like a fairly reasonable thing to complain about tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I can't complain if I happen to be the only isolated case where it has taken 4+ days for a delivery, when it's been faster for everybody else? That seems like a fairly reasonable thing to complain about tbh

Maybe you do have some grounds for complaint -
    As soon as we receive your parcel we will put it into your chosen Parcel Motel within 1 working day. This is in addition to the transit time it takes for your online store to ship it to us. Transit times to our Check-in centre will depend on the seller's chosen shipping method. You can usually find this information in the "Delivery & Returns" section of a web site. Please allow 8 hours from when your parcel arrives with us until it is checked in on your Parcel Motel account.

http://www.parcelmotel.com/faqs.html

..but again, that's just bad luck IMHO, they don't sell the service based on delivery speeds.

It is bad luck, although i don't really know where luck has come into play here. They've had the parcel since 4pm yesterday and have told me that they are shipping it to Dublin tomorrow morning. They didn't indicate that anything had gone wrong or there were any exceptional circumstances. This seems to directly conflict the claim that "As soon as we receive your parcel we will put it into your chosen Parcel Motel within 1 working day". Given that they work around the clock I'm not entirely sure what went on between 16:16 on the 21st and 11:55 on the 22nd, or why it will take at least another 24hrs to make its way to Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

It was from Amazon so I could have had it sent in 4-5 days for free or 3-4 days for about £5, and I'm paying €3.50 for PM anyway

Because it was supposed to be the fastest method.

Nope not at all.

According to who? I hardly imagine PM is faster than just posting it direct to your address. How could it be, its a middle man, an extra step in the process?

According to who? I hardly imagine PM is faster than just posting it direct to your address. How could it be, its a middle man, an extra step in the process?
    According to everybody who has used it.

Amazon Prime = free next day UK shipping. Now based on PM's claims and everybody else's experience, that + PM's turnover time was quicker than the 4-5 days regular Amazon delivery to Ireland.

• Advertisement

According to everybody who has used it.

Amazon Prime = free next day UK shipping. Now based on PM's claims and everybody else's experience, that + PM's turnover time was quicker than the 4-5 days regular Amazon delivery to Ireland.

Everybody? Am I not included in everybody? Ive never claimed it to be faster. In fact I think its definitely slower and adds a day or so in most cases.

Everybody? Am I not included in everybody? Ive never claimed it to be faster. In fact I think its definitely slower and adds a day or so in most cases.
    Everybody else in this thread then. One person who recently replied said they'd had over 50 orders and none took this long, and your previous post suggests you were unaware of the Prime service anyway.

It is bad luck, although i don't really know where luck has come into play here. They've had the parcel since 4pm yesterday and have told me that they are shipping it to Dublin tomorrow morning. They didn't indicate that anything had gone wrong or there were any exceptional circumstances. This seems to directly conflict the claim that "As soon as we receive your parcel we will put it into your chosen Parcel Motel within 1 working day". Given that they work around the clock I'm not entirely sure what went on between 16:16 on the 21st and 11:55 on the 22nd, or why it will take at least another 24hrs to make its way to Galway.

Maybe the driver that goes to Galway had a hernia. That's bad luck. :pac:

Everybody else in this thread then. One person who recently replied said they'd had over 50 orders and none took this long, and your previous post suggests you were unaware of the Prime service anyway.

Im well aware of Prime. I just think its naive to think that including a middle man who has to receive, sort, load plan and deliver to your chosen motel (which could be full) would be faster than posting something direct. Just an observation.

Maybe the driver that goes to Galway had a hernia. That's bad luck. :pac:
    The aul fella's a carpenter and carried a hernia for 4 years. I'm sure a driver could soldier on ;)
    Im well aware of Prime. I just think its naive to think that including a middle man who has to receive, sort, load plan and deliver to your chosen motel (which could be full) would be faster than posting something direct. Just an observation.
    How is it naive? You're completely ignoring the expedited nature of Prime. It cuts down on the Amazon delivery time so much that adding an extra day or 2 for PM should still be quicker, and according to every single account I read (including people literally asking this question) it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I never claimed it to be faster, and would even factor in delays that may arise due to issues with the address maybe causing a problem, but regardless of what EVERYONE on here says, tis not designed for speed tis designed for handiness (and maybe saving a few bob!!).

I also thought that all the parcels from the Northern Depot got transferred to the Dublin depot for sending on to the respective motels from there, or do they sort them in the Norther Depot and go directly to the Motels from there ?

I would have thought that they would send any PM deliveries along with their normal Nightline deliveries from the Dublin depot for delivery to their depots down the country and then onto the local motels along with deliveries to the ordinary customers.

eamonnq wrote: »
    I never claimed it to be faster, and would even factor in delays that may arise due to issues with the address maybe causing a problem, but regardless of what EVERYONE on here says, tis not designed for speed tis designed for handiness (and maybe saving a few bob!!).

I think you misunderstand my situation. Amazon Prime is designed for speed, not ParcelMotel. ParcelMotel allows you to utilize Amazon Prime.

eamonnq wrote: »
    ?....tis not designed for speed tis designed for handiness (and maybe saving a few.

Personally I use it because I'm not home in the daytime to take deliveries or collect from the sorting office. Also to avail of uk postage or sellers who don't post to Ireland at all. That's what I thought the point of it was, definitely not speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Personally I use it because I'm not home in the daytime to take deliveries or collect from the sorting office. Also to avail of uk postage or sellers who don't post to Ireland at all. That's what I thought the point of it was, definitely not speed.

+1. It also saves me getting my Mum/mates to post stuff over or holding it until I get to London! :D

Another thing I don't understand. Why are people getting stuff posted from outside the EU to a PM? :confused: It makes absolutely no sense to me. Surely it cannot be that much more to get the items sent direct? Saves time. And it saves hassle with Customs re: paying duty. For example - I've just ordered some stuff from the US. It's £6.90 for them to send it to me direct. And I don't have to worry about duty as the stuff is below the threshold to pay it. If there is duty to be paid, then the carrier will contact me direct and I'll then pay it. End of story. And no hassle waiting around for PM to take action or trying to find out if Irish or UK Customs have the parcel. Which they won't and it's clearly stated in their T's & C's.

Another thing I don't understand. Why are people getting stuff posted from outside the EU to a PM? :confused: It makes absolutely no sense to me.

I would do this because I wouldn't be home in the daytime to take a delivery.

If there is duty owed they (AnPost or courier) won't deliver it anyway, they'll just notify you.

Perhaps so. But when I worked in London, I would just get the parcel delivered to me at work...

Perhaps so. But when I worked in London, I would just get the parcel delivered to me at work...

Yeah, I used to do this in my old job but it's frowned upon where I work now. Then I used my father in laws address but there were so many comments and questions about my deliveries that I gave up and started using parcel motel!

Another thing I don't understand. Why are people getting stuff posted from outside the EU to a PM? :confused:

I think there is a perception that it is less likely to attract the attention of customs going through the UK, not sure if it works, but would be afraid to attempt it myself as I think there could be a lot of hassle if there was a payment required and PM refused the parcel.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

Have €3 on my account? will PM take the extra .50c off my card or should I load it again?

• Advertisement

You'll have to re-load...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

That was me - I never claimed it was a faster delivery method. It generally adds 1 day to use the service. Benefits are potentially cheaper postage and convenience of being able to collect at a convenient time.

What I said was none took that long from Parcel Motel depot in Antrim to Galway. When they told you it was going to Dublin, did you not ask why?

I think they all go to Dublin and then get sent on to the local depots/lockers from there. I could be wrong though.

J o e wrote: »
    That was me - I never claimed it was a faster delivery method. It generally adds 1 day to use the service. Benefits are potentially cheaper postage and convenience of being able to collect at a convenient time.
    No, you're still not getting it. You need to bear in mind the Amazon Prime delivery service. While PM would usually increase waiting time by 1 day, if it allows you to avail of a service that is 3 days quicker, then it would actually decrease your waiting time if you used it.

I'm not really sure where the confusion is coming from - had PM brought it down from Antrim to Galway in the same timeframe as they did everybody else's then I would have received my parcel earlier than had I used a conventional delivery method. That is what I expected based on everything I'd read from people here and from ParcelMotel themselves. The delay was caused by them taking some 40 hours over 3 days to move it from Antrim-Dublin-Galway rather than the stated "same day".
    What I said was none took that long from Parcel Motel depot in Antrim to Galway. When they told you it was going to Dublin, did you not ask why?
    Yes of course. I haven't heard back though.

No, you're still not getting it. You need to bear in mind the Amazon Prime delivery service. While PM would usually increase waiting time by 1 day, if it allows you to avail of a service that is 3 days quicker, then it would actually decrease your waiting time if you used it.

But Amazon Prime only promises 1 day delivery to mainland UK. Parcel Motel is in Belfast. It specifically says on 'Amazon Prime Eligible Items & Addresses' that Northern Ireland is excluded from 1 day delivery.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201277340

But Amazon Prime only promises 1 day delivery to mainland UK. Parcel Motel is in Belfast. It specifically says on 'Amazon Prime Eligible Items & Addresses' that Northern Ireland is excluded from 1 day delivery.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201277340
    It doesn't guarantee next day delivery but it is still the fastest option. The package was received in Antrim in the expected time. Honestly what are you failing to understand here? The bottle neck was caused by the parcel sitting in the Antrim depot for ages before having to go to Dublin before Galway. That is what caused the delay. I'm not sure if I can explain it in any simpler terms without being patronising I'm sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Is there a reason why an item that's been checked in in Belfast wouldn't have a photo on my account? I've a couple of items coming over the next few days along with the one that's checked in and in transit now, but 1 is a gift so I don't want the other half going to collect it. I'd know which is which if the photo was shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

markc1184 wrote: »
    Is there a reason why an item that's been checked in in Belfast wouldn't have a photo on my account? I've a couple of items coming over the next few days along with the one that's checked in and in transit now, but 1 is a gift so I don't want the other half going to collect it. I'd know which is which if the photo was shown.

They dont scan in at belfast anymore,they go straight to the Dublin depot from Belfast.. As for the camera,i have one checked in also,but no pic..i guess their camera is just in a hoop or needs recharging :D

I didn't have a photo of the parcel I collected today either.

• Advertisement

celticsfan wrote: »
    They dont scan in at belfast anymore,they go straight to the Dublin depot from Belfast..

Mine was scanned/photographed and stored in Belfast before being brought to Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement