Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Thread (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

TYJ wrote: »
    Parcel Motel will say anything to get you off the phone! You would get better customer service at a brothel

Id certainly hope so seeing as youd be there in a, eh, delicate position :)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

I bought something that was sent Royal mail second class (not using Parcel Motel) and it never arrived so I got the seller to resend. The second item turned up within a week. The first item showed up 2 months later. Royal Mail are not infallible.
    Yeah but with all the people complaining of missing parcels that should have been at parcel motel last week It's a possibility my parcel was delivered by Royal Mail and is just lost by parcel motel like the others
    I think I will leave it another week before getting an ebay refund I would hope 2 and a half weeks would be enough for parcel motel to check the warehouse
    Just noticed they are deleting comments from Facebook the phone fixing guy who had 5 comments saying his customers packages were post one of which I replied to mentioning that someone on boards also lost a parcel has now been deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Searched the thread, but couldn't find any experiences with returning stuff.

I bought from a UK retailer, that has a free returns using CollectPlus, which obviously hasn't been free for us at all up to now.
    Parcelmotel offer a returns service, which is 4.50; and one has to put the parcel motel and collect+ label on it.

An post would probably only cost me about a tenner, which I have no problem spending.
    I know this thread has lots of complaints about Parcelmotel, and while I have used them several times to deliver via the UK address, I haven't returned anything.

Any experience with the returns / sending a parcel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Will be thinking twice before using Parcel motel in the future.

First my phone goes "missing" (seems I'm not the only person that has had their items mysteriously disappear)and now they say I have to give them 48 business hours before they can start the claiming process. Its either there or its not, how many unidentified packages could they really have.

/rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Will be thinking twice before using Parcel motel in the future.

First my phone goes "missing" (seems I'm not the only person that has had their items mysteriously disappear)and now they say I have to give them 48 business hours before they can start the claiming process. Its either there or its not, how many unidentified packages could they really have.

/rant over

UPDATE: They are now claiming it came in with no PMID on it so they searched the database for my name and found two matches and decided to send it out to the other person with my name.(Sounds like BS) They are now trying to get in contact with the person who collected my parcel but he's not answering.

1.If my pmid was missing I imagine that my name should be missing too as I had the pmid in the first name section and my name in the last name section.

2.If they searched my name and it came back with two results, why would they decide to send it out to one of them without checking it was actually for him first.

Just wanted to update/warn yous on what they are like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

Hope everyone who has had bad experiences with Parcel Motel insist on getting their money back and also they should allow you a few free stays for use in the future. I had very similar experiences before Xmas last and it was all down to their own mishandling of deliveries--silly things like parcels with a Sligo/Roscommon address being sent to somewhere in the midlands and stupid stuff like that. It caused me a lot of grief at the time but they did find them eventually and they did also reimburse me and also gave 20 euros worth of credit to my account as a goodwill gesture. My biggest problem with them was with oversize parcels. When I say oversize I don't mean huge fridges or anything like that, but rather just stuff that was barely too big to fit in the pigeon hole . Its a pity theres not a bit more attention to detail at their Dublin depot as its rarely the fault of the Antrim side of things as far as I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

My phone is missing since early Feb. Told last week I was being compensated by cheque after being ignored continually when calling in relation to my claim.
    Still no sign of cheque a week later.
    very very poor customer service and service security in my opinion.
    Great service generally but major issue with how they deal with items going missing. Looks like I am not the only one who has been affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

New one I Tesco prussia Street

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Thanks to the nowtv website I've just ordered a box and not put in my PMID (there's no box to edit your name during the ordering process if you log onto your NowTV account) If I have a reasonably unusual first name will they match me to my account details and send out the parcel or just send it back to NowTV? I have also emailed customer service. I'd order a second one and do it right but on the off chance this one might get delivered I said I'd leave it a day. NowTV has no facility to cancel or edit orders once placed, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Has anyone used Parcel Motel as the billing address for your credit card? Speedy Hen only delivers to UK addresses - check It also only takes money from cards issued by UK banks - check and I now find out that the billing address has to be the same as the delivery address. So can I make Parcel Motel in Newtownabbey my billing address?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

You need to set up a paypal account. You can then use any address you wish and the option is there to change around addresses quite easily and quite legally.

Thanks to the nowtv website I've just ordered a box and not put in my PMID (there's no box to edit your name during the ordering process if you log onto your NowTV account) If I have a reasonably unusual first name will they match me to my account details and send out the parcel or just send it back to NowTV? I have also emailed customer service. I'd order a second one and do it right but on the off chance this one might get delivered I said I'd leave it a day. NowTV has no facility to cancel or edit orders once placed, unfortunately.

They are hopeless when it comes to matching a name with an account if someone forgets to put you PMID number on the address, so I always remind the sender to include my pmid just to be safe. If you think a package has been sent to you without the pmid then you should ring Dublin and they might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

My phone is missing since early Feb. Told last week I was being compensated by cheque after being ignored continually when calling in relation to my claim.
    Still no sign of cheque a week later.
    very very poor customer service and service security in my opinion.
    Great service generally but major issue with how they deal with items going missing. Looks like I am not the only one who has been affected.

Update, finally got a cheque this week from Parcelmotel as compensation for my wifes iphone4s that was lost/stolen in transit somewhere in the PM service, dont give up is all i recommend. If you need to make a claim then be prepared for a frustrating process that requires alot of calls emails and written claims but thankfully i got there in the end. Great service but not if something goes missing, beware with small high value items as far as i can see.

The card's actually issued from a UK bank... The problem seems to be the billing address is an ROI one. So even if the card's issued form the UK if your billing address is in ROI they won't accept the order. I really don't understand why this is. The Card's origin is UK the address for delivery is PM's NI address - why is there an issue with billing address? Sigh. It's a pity cos the discounts on their site are better than Amazon etc...

rusty999 wrote: »
    You need to set up a paypal account. You can then use any address you wish and the option is there to change around addresses quite easily and quite legally.

Could you expand on this a bit more? The Speedyhen website does not take paypal AFAIK??

Eamo71 wrote: »
    Could you expand on this a bit more? The Speedyhen website does not take paypal AFAIK??

Are you sure they dont take paypal ? I will check later but my internet is playing up this weekend and wont allow ,me to open a lot of sites--thats another thread completely !! I use paypal for most of my transactions nowadays and find it a lot easier than a card . You can set it now to a One click payment and saves all that filling in details every time you buy something. Its probably easier to use when connected with an Ebay account ,but if you dont have either one then the other option is your credit card I guess.

rusty999 wrote: »
    Are you sure they dont take paypal ? I will check later but my internet is playing up this weekend and wont allow ,me to open a lot of sites--thats another thread completely !! I use paypal for most of my transactions nowadays and find it a lot easier than a card . You can set it now to a One click payment and saves all that filling in details every time you buy something. Its probably easier to use when connected with an Ebay account ,but if you dont have either one then the other option is your credit card I guess.
    Yeah it looks like they don't take paypal. Just debit/credit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Eamo71 wrote: »
    The card's actually issued from a UK bank... The problem seems to be the billing address is an ROI one. So even if the card's issued form the UK if your billing address is in ROI they won't accept the order.

Don't know if it's the case for you; but I have a UK issued card as well (sterling account). The address linked to my card is RoI, but the card was issued originally to my address in London (which I changed when I moved). If I use the old London address when I pay for stuff online in UK the payment goes through every time (then get it sent to PM, also gives me lower VAT rate)

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

If a parcel arrives in the Dublin depot sometime in the morning, how long should it take to get to a pick up location that is also in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Eoin247 wrote: »
    If a parcel arrives in the Dublin depot sometime in the morning, how long should it take to get to a pick up location that is also in Dublin?

All going well Eoin, you should be notified sometime this afternoon i would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

moonboy52 wrote: »
    All going well Eoin, you should be notified sometime this afternoon i would imagine.

I was indeed, thanks!

flyguy wrote: »
    Don't know if it's the case for you; but I have a UK issued card as well (sterling account). The address linked to my card is RoI, but the card was issued originally to my address in London (which I changed when I moved). If I use the old London address when I pay for stuff online in UK the payment goes through every time (then get it sent to PM, also gives me lower VAT rate)

Cool you've the best of both world there. I wonder if Michael D can put a word in with QE2 and sort some sort of postage agreement for our islands LOL?. In my case the skrill debit Mastercard was applied for in Ireland where i'm still resident. The card draws on a bank from the UK but my billing address is here. What I might do is apply for another card using the PM address. We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 whosername

I ordered stuff from the USA, it will have duty etc due, I'm fairly sure, I have used PM many times and decided I'd get it sent there for the convieience. I now know they will refuse any items with duty to be paid and this will then most likely get returned to sender.

Has anybody successfully gotten their items before this has happened. I have sent messages to both Parcel Motel and An Post (I'm fairly sure they will be the ones delivering it to the Parcel Motel depot) but I am trying to come up with a work around. Could I not get Parcel Motel to get a failed to deliver docket from An Post then go collect the items in person, paying the duty then? Postage and cost of items is quite a lot of money and I really can't have them sent back to the US...

Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Did you ask for an invoice including VAT & duty? If not, then you need to speak to the UK Customs & Royal Mail since the parcel will be delivered in the UK. Not sure if it'll work if the parcel was sent via ordinary post. If the parcel was tracked, you might stand a chance...

Why didn't you get the parcel delivered to you direct if you knew Duty & VAT was due?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Did you ask for an invoice including VAT & duty? If not, then you need to speak to the UK Customs & Royal Mail since the parcel will be delivered in the UK. Not sure if it'll work if the parcel was sent via ordinary post. If the parcel was tracked, you might stand a chance...

Why didn't you get the parcel delivered to you direct if you knew Duty & VAT was due?

Did you use the Northern Ireland PM address or the Finglas one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

whosername wrote: »
    I ordered stuff from the USA, it will have duty etc due, I'm fairly sure, I have used PM many times and decided I'd get it sent there for the convieience. I now know they will refuse any items with duty to be paid and this will then most likely get returned to sender.

Has anybody successfully gotten their items before this has happened. I have sent messages to both Parcel Motel and An Post (I'm fairly sure they will be the ones delivering it to the Parcel Motel depot) but I am trying to come up with a work around. Could I not get Parcel Motel to get a failed to deliver docket from An Post then go collect the items in person, paying the duty then? Postage and cost of items is quite a lot of money and I really can't have them sent back to the US...

Any suggestions?

You might be lucky - Revenue mail centre sometimes sends out a letter requesting a total/invoice so they can calculate exactly what's owed, this letter will go to your PM box, possibly allowing you to redirect it to you, paying the VAT and duty in person (this is what happens when I get stuff from China).

I wouldn't bank on it though... No idea why you'd risk this with an order costing 'quite a lot of money'!

You might be lucky - Revenue mail centre sometimes sends out a letter requesting a total/invoice so they can calculate exactly what's owed, this letter will go to your PM box, possibly allowing you to redirect it to you, paying the VAT and duty in person (this is what happens when I get stuff from China).

I wouldn't bank on it though... No idea why you'd risk this with an order costing 'quite a lot of money'!

AS Kenny said you would be extremely lucky if that happened -I had 2 orders sent back to USA without any attempt made to contact me.

As I stated before--PARCEL MOTEL IS NOT SUITABLE FOR BUYING GOODS FROM USA !! Voice of experience --all bad experiences !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 whosername

I gave the Finglas address as the point of delivery so at least the packages will end up on Irish soil at some point.

An Post very quickly replied this morning, here is some of what I was told;

Items refused are returned to sender immediately. Perhaps if the staff at the parcel motel can advise they do not have the payment but request a docket be left advising of collection details then you will be able to collect the item from our Offices or avail of the redelivery to an alternative address.

Unfortunately in the first instance An Post are obliged to attempt to deliver as per the address on the item.

That under the circumstances wouldn't be a total disaster as I failed to read the fine print before blindly jumping in. I am working every angle at the minute, original sender, Parcel Motel and An Post. Next point of contact is Customs themselves.

I was just wondering if anybody had any success with the same problem. I don't blame Parcel Motel as it is stated in their terms but the idea that it would end up going back to the states over this is unacceptable to me.

EDIT
    Just spoke to Parcel Motel directly, I got a very helpful guy on the phone. He informed me that once An Post attempt delivery that I should be contacted with the details, at which time I can organise payment with An Post and then the items can enter the Parcel Motel system as normal. This would be a perfect situation. He did advise me to keep an eye on the tracking system and that a call closer to the delivery time would be prudent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Are you sure it was sent USPS > AnPost?

Fedex send invoices for what is owed weeks after delivery, or used to, not sure if they do still.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement