Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Thread (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

NATLOR wrote: »
    Thomas D wrote: »
    That probably explains the massive insurance prices and the tiny insured value. They expect plenty of items to be pilfered. It's important that people are aware of this.

€3.50 cost for a €500 item,€7.50 for a €1000 item represents less than 1% of the purchase price, hardly massive insurance costs :rolleyes:

€3.50 just to insure an extra €400 in value for a single delivery is substanial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

NATLOR wrote: »

€3.50 just to insure an extra €400 in value for a single delivery is substanial.

Hmm, my screen says the following after 'upgrading'

"Your current liability cover is €500 cover until 10 Aug 2014"

I would assume that means all deliveries covered until the 10th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Well, it's simple. If you're not happy to pay for the extra cover, then pay to have the items delivered direct, and don't use the PM service...

Well, it's simple. If you're not happy to pay for the extra cover, then pay to have the items delivered direct, and don't use the PM service...

Don't worry I won't. Just warning others about their sharp practice and disgraceful customer service. If you don't like my advice then you know what to do.

Don't worry I won't. Just warning others about their sharp practice and disgraceful customer service. If you don't like my advice then you know what to do.

Likewise...

• Advertisement

Likewise...

Unnecessary reply. Stick to the topic.

Unnecessary reply. Stick to the topic.

Riiiiggghhhtttt...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

The anger!! You're so invested in this. Well done for warning all of us avid Parcel Motel customers!! Parcel Motel will be rolling in it now, everyone will be purchasing insurance! Lucky them. I'm guessing not your desired effect though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

Hi looking to get a macbook pro from Apple's Refurbished Store (UK) as they offer a higher percentage discount than the Irish version.
    Will this work with parcel motel? Like would it be charged with import duties and VAT as it comes down from Belfast? Or any other problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AppleKidd

Hi looking to get a macbook pro from Apple's Refurbished Store (UK) as they offer a higher percentage discount than the Irish version.
    Will this work with parcel motel? Like would it be charged with import duties and VAT as it comes down from Belfast? Or any other problems?

Yes it should work with Parcel Motel also there would be no customs because it's between two EU countries. There is also risks so if I was you I would upper my liability on your Parcel motel account to €1,500 incase its get lost. the extra insurance is 10.50 for 14 days.

Hope this Helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

AppleKidd wrote: »
    Yes it should work with Parcel Motel also there would be no customs because it's between two EU countries. There is also risks so if I was you I would upper my liability on your Parcel motel account to €1,500 incase its get lost. the extra insurance is 10.50 for 14 days.

Hope this Helps.

Ok, yeah that's very helpful thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

No, There should be no extra charges . As long as it fits in their standard bins at Parcel Motels you will pay 3.95. If its oversize box it will be extra and you will have to pick up from local nightline depot. Some stores offer free shipping to a UK address which in this case is BT36 4Px so you are gaining there by having a Uk address to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

AppleKidd wrote: »

Hope this Helps.

Thats something I usually forget about and its a good point. Theres always the possibility of things going wrong and extra insurance is important. Only negative I see about that is would it be just as cheap to use your own address because by the time you pay the extra insurance and then PM fees sometimes you are not gaining at all especially if its a larger box.. But, I find it a great service overall although I did have problems in the past but usually with oversize parcels not being sorted properly in Dublin. Hopefully thats improved now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Can hardly be described as sharp practice.

I have had parcels go missing between Royal Mail and Parcel Motel, nothing too expensive thankfully, but have not used them at all since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

You could have issues using an Irish credit card with a Uk delivery address, no problem if they take paypal otherwise it's 50/50 some will accept any billing address eg tesco direct but some won't eg 02 UK.

You have no idea if it will fit in their small containers. The extra delivery charge and insurance will eat into your savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

You have no idea if it will fit in their small containers. The extra delivery charge and insurance will eat into your savings.

Now that's sharp practice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Is it too late to take out the extra liability cover when the parcel has already arrived at depot and possibly in transit? or am I safe enough since it's at this stage anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Aspiring wrote: »
    Is it too late to take out the extra liability cover when the parcel has already arrived at depot and possibly in transit? or am I safe enough since it's at this stage anyway :p

You should be save enough, the problem would be when you know from tracking number parcel was deliver but does not show on the website on the same evening

I wonder if you will be cover if you get insurance when you see parcel was deliver to them but next morning still not on website.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

So my first time using PM, i've sent a parcel to the UK, all was going fine until it left the country, it's status has been set as "exported" for the last 2 days, is tracking with PM usually this bad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭waylander2002

can take a few days to show up, tracking isnt great once they receive it, but it will come, i got nervous a few weeks ago but it turned up eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Parcel arrived at depot 6 PM yesterday, got the text to say it was in the locker at 7 AM this morning. Great service :D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

eamonnq wrote: »
    Can hardly be described as sharp practice.

I have had parcels go missing between Royal Mail and Parcel Motel, nothing too expensive thankfully, but have not used them at all since.

I'd say it's reasonably sharp practise actually, item signed for at parcel motel and then they just send you minimum cover cost? What's to stop someone there just pocketing anything that looks like it might be expensive?

It's not like the item was damaged or broken by accident, it appears it was delivered and then they lost it(at best). You would have thought they would make much better efforts to look after the customer in that case or at least explain what the hell happened.

I've used parcel motel 40 or 50 times now and it puts me off a little, along with the recent price increase, the reasons not to use them for various items is adding up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

can take a few days to show up, tracking isnt great once they receive it, but it will come, i got nervous a few weeks ago but it turned up eventually

I see, thanks, I do hope it gets updated soonish as it's still "exported" after day 3, so naturally i'm a little concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BikeQueery

I want to order something that's almost a metre in length. UK delivery only. Is PM a waste of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

BikeQueery wrote: »
    I want to order something that's almost a metre in length. UK delivery only. Is PM a waste of time?
    Check the dimensional weight charges on the PM website. You can have the package delivered to your local Nightline depot and collect it from there for a reasonable fee, or have them deliver direct to you for a higher fee.

Also, depending on value, consider increasing the insured amount on your PM account.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

BikeQueery wrote: »

If it's under 35 kgs you can pick it up from any nightline depot of your choice for €7 within 48 hours of delivery. Over 35 Kgs it's an additional €7 per every 10KG and whatever remainder.

For an extra €10.50 they will deliver the parcel to any Irish address.

"Dimensional weight" might be a factor too:
    Where dimensional weight exceeds actual weight you will be charged based on the dimensional weight of your parcel. To calculate the dimensional weight of your parcel(s) multiply the dimensions of each parcel in cm then divide by 3000.

Length x Width x Height in cm / 3000 = Dimensional Weight

For example, a parcel which weighs 15kgs and measures 50 X 50 X 24cm works out as 20kgs in dimensional weight. If you collect this from a Nightline depot, you will be charged €7.00, and if you have it delivered to your address you will be charged €17.50.

A parcel which weighs 15kgs and measures 100 X 25 X 45cm works out as 37.5kgs in dimensional weight. If you collect this from a Nightline depot, you will be charged €14.00, and if you have it delivered you will be charged €24.50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BikeQueery

Thanks. I was looking at Amazon. I found the same item on eBay, same price including delivery and ships to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I ordered stuff from tk maxx.
    I had to put my billing address as my parcel motel address, as it wouldn't accept ireland. Really hoping I get the parcel now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AppleKidd

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    I ordered stuff from tk maxx.
    I had to put my billing address as my parcel motel address, as it wouldn't accept ireland. Really hoping I get the parcel now

I had to do the same thing and it worked twice. If you have internet banking look to see did the vendor take the money yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement