Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Thread (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Esel wrote: »
    That must be a throwback to the old €3.50 charge!

They should really increase it to €11.85 to equal 3x the current charge.

Or leave it be.. They should decrease to 3.95 so you can pay by delivery instead of adding a card if it suits better not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the €28 charge will be for storage for the 2days on oversized n heavy item. I got hit with this last week for ordering a chair, and I collected from the depot. view would have delivered out for additional €10.50. in hindsight prob would have been worth it. I had to go through m50 toll twice, the time and effort involved would make up the balance.

Exactly, which is why I ended up just bussing it out there as I wanted the package on Saturday and not have to wait until Monday.

It's a new gaming PC. As it stands I ended up sleeping through yesterday after spending time with a friend so I haven't even set it up yet.

At least I don't have to take it home from work on the bus today though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

what happens if i have less than the 3.95 credit but have a CC linked? will it automatically default to the CC without there being a delay on their side?

Is inconvenient only being allowed to top up by €10 or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

bur wrote: »
    what happens if i have less than the 3.95 credit but have a CC linked? will it automatically default to the CC without there being a delay on their side?

Is inconvenient only being allowed to top up by €10 or more.

Yes it'll take credit from the CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 gismoet

I have just been charged 42eur for 2 oversized parcels that i collected from finglas within the 48 hours window. In both the emails and texts that i received , it stated that if the parcels were collected within the 48 , no extra charges would be made.

What is going on with parcel motel????

Send email , waiting on response. Will delink my credit card from pm if i cant trust their charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

gismoet wrote: »
    I have just been charged 42eur for 2 oversized parcels that i collected from finglas within the 48 hours window. In both the emails and texts that i received , it stated that if the parcels were collected within the 48 , no extra charges would be made.

What is going on with parcel motel????

Send email , waiting on response. Will delink my credit card from pm if i cant trust their charges.

"If your parcel does not fit in the Parcel Motel, we will notify you and make alternative arrangements.

The charges below will apply:

Under 35kgs €7.00 per parcel for 48 hours.

Over 35Kgs

In addition to the €7.00 Parcel Motel charge, there is a supplement of €7.00 per 10kgs (over the 35kgs) or part thereof per parcel."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

"Dimensional weight" might be a factor...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AppleKidd

I am looking at a safety razor shaving kit coming from the UK and also it comes with a sample pack of razor blades. is the having the set okay to come through Parcel Motel. I looked at the prohibited items list but I did not see anything about razors or knives.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

AppleKidd wrote: »
    I am looking at a safety razor shaving kit coming from the UK and also it comes with a sample pack of razor blades. is the having the set okay to come through Parcel Motel. I looked at the prohibited items list but I did not see anything about razors or knives.

Thanks
    I'd say that would be fine.

Not your ornery onager

"If your parcel does not fit in the Parcel Motel, we will notify you and make alternative arrangements.

The charges below will apply:

Under 35kgs €7.00 per parcel for 48 hours.

Over 35Kgs

In addition to the €7.00 Parcel Motel charge, there is a supplement of €7.00 per 10kgs (over the 35kgs) or part thereof per parcel."

Both under 35kg. so as far as I can see , I should only have been charged a max of €14 for the two parcels at most.
    Dimensions are not a factor once the parcel is classified as oversized.

• Advertisement

Both under 35kg. so as far as I can see , I should only have been charged a max of €14 for the two parcels at most.

So what was the breakdown of that 42eur charge?

Did you pay the 42eur at point of pickup or was it levied to your card unknown to you?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Yes they are, thats exactly what the dimensional weight charge is for.
    So I'm guessing they were two fairly big items. You're not the first in this topic to get "surprised" by this charge, but it's in the t&c's so not much you can do...
    http://www.parcelmotel.com/howmuch.html
    Dimensional weight example calculation

For example, a parcel which weighs 15kgs and measures 50 X 50 X 24cm works out as 20kgs in dimensional weight. If you collect this from a Nightline depot, you will be charged €7.00, and if you have it delivered to your address you will be charged €17.50.

A parcel which weighs 15kgs and measures 100 X 25 X 45cm works out as 37.5kgs in dimensional weight. If you collect this from a Nightline depot, you will be charged €14.00, and if you have it delivered you will be charged €24.50.

flyguy is correct, dimensional weight does apply to over-sized parcels.

From their FAQS page:
    How much does it cost to receive an oversized parcel?

All oversize items are charged by the dimensional weight (space it takes up) or the actual weight, whichever is greater.

We calculate the dimensional weight like this - Length (cm) x Width (cm) x Depth (cm) then divided by 3000.

Please visit our prices explanation page for more information. We recommend that you calculate the dimensional weight of your item, including packaging, before you order the item so that you are fully aware of the charges incurred.

Thanks folks. I was never aware of this dimensional weight.
    Luckily I have kept all the packaging.
    I kept the box from the first package and the demensional weight only comes in at 29.80 KG - which was more than actual weight. Based on that I should have only been charged €7

Second box dimensional weight was 37.44 - so max should have been €14 ( again dimensional weight greater )

It was take from my credit card , and I only saw it when I checked my history statement.

So even by all of this - Parcelmotel seem to have incorrectly debited money from my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Esel wrote: »
    That must be a throwback to the old €3.50 charge!

They should really increase it to €11.85 to equal 3x the current charge.
    Snake wrote: »
    Or leave it be.. They should decrease to 3.95 so you can pay by delivery instead of adding a card if it suits better not to.
    If leaving it as €10.50 they should still mention the fact that 3 stays is €11.85. I topped up the other day and luckily copped it and went for 11.85.

On twitter I think I saw them mention €10.50 being the minimum to cover processing/admin costs.

Thanks folks. I was never aware of this dimensional weight.
    Luckily I have kept all the packaging.
    I kept the box from the first package and the demensional weight only comes in at 29.80 KG - which was more than actual weight. Based on that I should have only been charged €7

Second box dimensional weight was 37.44 - so max should have been €14 ( again dimensional weight greater )

It was take from my credit card , and I only saw it when I checked my history statement.

So even by all of this - Parcelmotel seem to have incorrectly debited money from my account.
    Just wanted to say that parcel motel have been in contact and made a refund to my account. A big thumbs up to parcel motel customer service. Their response was quick and concise.

Just wanted to say that parcel motel have been in contact and made a refund to my account. A big thumbs up to parcel motel customer service. Their response was quick and concise.

Delighted you got what was due to you.

Did you ask, or, did they offer any explanation as to how or why you were overcharged?

I had all the existing package - . I took pics , showing a measuring tape to prove my dimensions. They apologised and offered refund and said it would be brought to the attention of the supervisor.

Could very well have been some fat finger entry as some of the dimensions tied up with mine. I am not sure, just happy that I had a satisfactory outcome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Received a text saying my parcel was at the ParcelMotel then went online to see that there's 2 parcels currently in transit.

Amazon split my delivery into 3 separate deliveries, raging with them! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jtthom

So do you have to pay 3.50 (or whatever it is) for each parcel in that case? I ask because I'm looking at a few different items on amazon (from different sellers but all under the super saver delivery option) and was wondering if I would be charged for each item separately.

• Advertisement

jtthom wrote: »
    So do you have to pay 3.50 (or whatever it is) for each parcel in that case? I ask because I'm looking at a few different items on amazon (from different sellers but all under the super saver delivery option) and was wondering if I would be charged for each item separately.

They increased their price to €3.95.

In my case Amazon split my order up into 3 separate deliveries to save time I believe.

On your order page an item will say delivery 1 of 2 or whatever, it could say order too.

Check to see if it has that and if it does then Amazon probably split it up.

€12 for 3 parcels! It'd be cheaper to send it to my house!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

jtthom wrote: »

If it's from separate sellers they will be ship on separate packages as they will ship from separate locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

when ordering from Amazon you need to tick the box to send orders together if possible, its not a guarantee, and if you order from different sellers and no fulfilled by amazon your packages will be separate.

I was wondering about this old question I had before
    rubadub wrote: »
    Looking at the options on the site there is a Mobile Availability option. Mine was set from 7am to 11pm, I picked times I did not mind getting phone messages.

I got my PM text around 10pm friday.

I am now guessing if I had set my notice time frame from 9am to 5pm then it would force them to have waited until 9am on the saturday. So the 48hr limit would have gone over to 9am monday and suited me fine.
    No, they would have emailed you at the same time, and you would not know about it until you got the text in the morning.
    Can anbody confirm if the above is definitely correct. I cannot find anything on the PM site about the exact time it starts at. You would think there would be an expiry time on the page or in the text message but I see nothing.

I got a email at 21:24 and a text at 21.26, when I log onto the account it says "checked in 14.44", and "status time 21.15"

I am guessing the 14.44 is when it got to belfast as it has the photo linked to it.

As the text message has no expiry time listed then I might miss a parcel if I think I have 48hrs from when I get it, if Tar.Aldarion is correct. I sometimes have no access to email at weekends.

Can anybody confirm if the text message can come at a totally different time to the email, and that the email time is the starting point? has anybody lost out on a package due to this text message issue? i.e. thinking they had plenty of time left.

Hey I ordered a backpack to aliexpress from china to ParcelMotel for 30 euro, is there any chance will this get stopped for tax in the UK does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just wondering has anyone gone through the claim process, if a package is lost via parcelmotel? How long does it take etc? Half thinking of ordering a iPhone6 from the Apple UK, but worried it will go missing, or end up with the wrong customer (happened to me, got text about an amazon package and turned out it was for someone else), really don't want to wait months for claiming back 800 euros!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Standard liability cover is €100 max so if you're planning for the possibility of loss you might consider the added insurance option (14 days €500 cover = €3.50, 14 days €1000 cover = €7.00) for a possible loss of €700, however remote.

Received a text saying my parcel was at the ParcelMotel then went online to see that there's 2 parcels currently in transit.

Amazon split my delivery into 3 separate deliveries, raging with them! :(

Just an update on this.

I was charged 3 × €3.95 for ParcelMotel.

Got them home and I discovered an empty envelope, no Amazon receipt and no item!

The 3 items were packaged between 2 boxes.

Contacted Amazon and they were very sympathetic, it was some sort of logistics error.

They refunded my P&P cost which was £5.99.

Contacted ParcelMotel and they gave me a free stay!

So all in all it worked out grand, clearly these 2 companies value their customers! :)

rubadub wrote: »
    Can anybody confirm if the text message can come at a totally different time to the email, and that the email time is the starting point?
    I emailed PM about this and they confirmed it is 48hrs from when the door closes on the locker, which is when the email is sent, not the text. Which is a shame, I would use them more if there was away around the weekend issue, sometimes the potential savings are small, not enough to warrant a journey to a PM locker on a sunday. There are several ways it could be done to suit most people, e.g. extend stays which arrive after 6pm on a friday to 9am on monday, which the PM rep here suggested they would do for free if you just emailed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah I found it quite annoying, sorry that I was right haha. I'd say emailing them at weekends would be an ok solution, but would have been nice by default.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement