Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Thread (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Yeah I found it quite annoying, sorry that I was right haha. I'd say emailing them at weekends would be an ok solution, but would have been nice by default.

I spoke to them concerning this issue & I was told that they couldn't vary the terms regarding the 48 hours. They said that people weren't raising the issue so it wasn't a problem.

Last weekend I had to make a 20 mile trip just to collect a package that wouldn't be there Monday morning.

It should be simple to just allow more time for weekends.

I suggest that people contact them & ask them to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Discodog wrote: »
    Last weekend I had to make a 20 mile trip just to collect a package that wouldn't be there Monday morning.
    The thing is, it probably would have been there monday morning. Unless they really are paying drivers night time sunday rates and collecting at 11pm.

They could just make sunday a free day, or charge extra if you want a sunday extension, like €2 extra instead of a full €3.95 and subsequent delay that the current system has where they insist on taking it back.

Another option would be to say you have 48hrs guaranteed, and after that its just a race between you and the drivers, if you get there before them you get your parcel, but you take the chance. I reckon monday mornings would be the most likely to have delayed collections.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

rubadub wrote: »
    The thing is, it probably would have been there monday morning. Unless they really are paying drivers night time sunday rates and collecting at 11pm.

They could just make sunday a free day, or charge extra if you want a sunday extension, like €2 extra instead of a full €3.95 and subsequent delay that the current system has where they insist on taking it back.

Another option would be to say you have 48hrs guaranteed, and after that its just a race between you and the drivers, if you get there before them you get your parcel, but you take the chance. I reckon monday mornings would be the most likely to have delayed collections.

I called them & they said that I had to be there by 6.30am so I wasn't even getting a full 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Looks like parcel connect are also going to offer the option to receive parcels using a UK address and get it deliver to the local Parcel Connect store.

Below email I got, more expensive but I wonder if it will be better for dimension and weight.

Nothing on the website so far.

Dear Customer,

We at Fastway Couriers Ireland would like to thank you for using our Parcel Connect service. Having grown in popularity since its launch in 2013, Parcel Connect is widely regarded as one of the most user friendly ‘Pay as you go’ parcel management services in Ireland.

Our network of 960 local convenience stores spread across the country have seen over 500,000 parcels go through their doors so far this year, alongside a further 25,000 home collections.

We at Fastway Couriers Ireland would like to thank you for using our Parcel Connect service. Having grown in popularity since its launch in 2013, Parcel Connect is widely regarded as one of the most user friendly ‘Pay as you go’ parcel management services in Ireland.

Our network of 960 local convenience stores spread across the country have seen over 500,000 parcels go through their doors so far this year, alongside a further 25,000 home collections.

On the 23rd of September Parcel Connect will enter its next chapter, offering even more convenient services to its list as part of a brand new, user-friendly website. The new services include:

A UK virtual address: So you can avail of free delivery from UK retailers into Northern Ireland and pay only €4.50 to collect it from your local parcel connect store.
    Divert Option: For all your Fastway deliveries you’ll soon be able to divert your parcels into your local store, making shopping online even easier.
    Seamless Returns: Easily returns your unwanted parcels to even more of your favourite online retailers

We’re opening more and more stores by the day so keep a close eye on the website to see which stores are coming on board in your area.

As part of the new offering we will be adjusting our pricing structure on our existing services. Our customers have embraced their local convenience stores to such an extent that we are forced to raise the price of our home and business collections by €2.

All parcels sent through your local Parcel Connect stores will remain at the current price.

As always, if your delivery needs are growing and you would like to be contacted by a Fastway representative for a free freight analysis simply visit http://www.fastway.ie/pricing/request-a-proposal

Convenience, simplicity and flexibility are just some of the reasons why we think you’re going to love our new website.

Kind regards

The Parcel Connect Team

• Maybe I'm showing myself up but I've never heard of this Parcel Connect crowd...time to do some Googling! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Maybe I'm showing myself up but I've never heard of this Parcel Connect crowd...time to do some Googling! :)

You're not alone :)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Cue another mega-thread! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Esel wrote: »
    Cue another mega-thread! :)

At €4.50 compared to €3.95 I think Parcel Motel still wins! Parcel Connect should launch at €3 and have a price war with Parcel Motel.

Stinicker wrote: »
    At €4.50 compared to €3.95 I think Parcel Motel still wins! Parcel Connect should launch at €3 and have a price war with Parcel Motel.
    They might win on the number of stores that hold parcels even if their price is higher.

One big plus that PM have is 24-hour access to their motels.

Still, if PC had an arrangement with my local mini-supermarket - for an extra 55c I would be happy to forego 24-hour access in favour of a five minute (or less) walk. Petrol costs €1.56 per litre on average, so factor this in to the overall cost.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Petrol costs €1.56 per litre on average, so factor this in to the overall cost.

I'm sure PM factor it in when they have to transport a jiffy bag with a stick of ram from Belfast to Cork :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

I'm sure PM factor it in when they have to transport a jiffy bag with a stick of ram from Belfast to Cork :D
    I was referring to the cost to the customer to travel to and from their chosen motel.

PM certainly factor fuel costs in to their economy of scale calculations. However, as fuel has dropped in price over the last while I can't see how they could see fuel costs as a reason for imposing a 13% price increase.

Forward planning and hedging is all well and good, but unless the original price was a loss leader, the increase is not justified.

Not your ornery onager

• Esel wrote: »
    They might win on the number of stores that hold parcels even if their price is higher.

One big plus that PM have is 24-hour access to their motels.

Still, if PC had an arrangement with my local mini-supermarket - for an extra 55c I would be happy to forego 24-hour access in favour of a five minute (or less) walk. Petrol costs €1.56 per litre on average, so factor this in to the overall cost.

This. At the moment I'm faced with a 8 mile round trip to my nearest PM locker. There used to be one nearer but there was a fire at the petrol station and PM just gave up on it. The one I'm using that's so far away is out by UL and traffic can be a nightmare.

If this Parcel Connect shower are any good then I'd be happy to pay the extra 55c as they seem to have lots of outlets nearby.

https://www.parcelconnect.ie/ParcelConnect

No mention of the virtual UK address facility or anything like that, so it must be 'coming soon'...

The main map does not show anything like the real number of stores for some reason, so coverage looks crap. Click on your county and lots will appear, even if none are on the main map.

Nearest one to me is a bit farther than local PM, plus hard to get parking nearby.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Lads sorry if this is a stupid question, can I use parcel motel with public postal services like AN Post and Royal Mail, or is it just with DHL and stuff?

I'm getting a few books posted to me from a friend and he will use An Post, if I give him the parcel motel address for the depot in Dublin will they then take it and send it to my local parcel motel collection spot? (I've never used the service before)

He is elderly and its not worth the hassle trying to get him to send it any other way and the problem is I wont be at home when the postman delivers

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

Lads sorry if this is a stupid question, can I use parcel motel with public postal services like AN Post and Royal Mail, or is it just with DHL and stuff?

I'm getting a few books posted to me from a friend and he will use An Post, if I give him the parcel motel address for the depot in Dublin will they then take it and send it to my local parcel motel collection spot? (I've never used the service before)

He is elderly and its not worth the hassle trying to get him to send it any other way and the problem is I wont be at home when the postman delivers

Yes, you can use it for most delivery services unless it's coming from outside EU and then you might have to pay customs charges on it which PM won't do for you.

Just be sure that he puts your PMid on the parcel.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

Just got a message that my package is oversized and I have to collect it from the Parcel Motel (Nightline) depot in Finglas. They gave a PIN though, so are they simply in bigger lockers or do I need to speak to someone there first to collect it? I've never been to their depot so I'm not really sure where to collect my item.

Toxica wrote: »
    Yes, you can use it for most delivery services unless it's coming from outside EU and then you might have to pay customs charges on it which PM won't do for you.
    Just be sure that he puts your PMid on the parcel.
    Cheers lads, I think I have it sorted so I'll see how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

makoten wrote: »
    Just got a message that my package is oversized and I have to collect it from the Parcel Motel (Nightline) depot in Finglas. They gave a PIN though, so are they simply in bigger lockers or do I need to speak to someone there first to collect it? I've never been to their depot so I'm not really sure where to collect my item.

Not in lockers. You go to reception and security buzz you in. Last time i was there they had a terminal and you had to input the PIN and then someone came out with package

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Quick question, I have a package that was delivered to PM in Antrim at 10am, do you think there's any hope of me getting it in Bray this evening? I usually get the text to collect at 9pm at night but I have to decide to travel today or tomorrow and the package contains my new phone, anyone ever got their package the same day PM receives it?

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Quick question, I have a package that was delivered to PM in Antrim at 10am, do you think there's any hope of me getting it in Bray this evening? I usually get the text to collect at 9pm at night but I have to decide to travel today or tomorrow and the package contains my new phone, anyone ever got their package the same day PM receives it?

It could be there but depends what time you want to collect at, is it tracking on the website? check how long after starts tracking was previous orders deliver to the motel so you can have an what time might be there at.

Most of my parcels are deliver to the Motel about midnight 4-5 hours after loading it to the van.

Ah yeah I just saw they update it live, in transit since 17:20 apparently, looks like it will be a late one if its coming from Antrim, maybe around 9pm though, thanks.

Thargor wrote: »
    Ah yeah I just saw they update it live, in transit since 17:20 apparently, looks like it will be a late one if its coming from Antrim, maybe around 9pm though, thanks.

That time should be when it was loaded in Dublin, they do not register parcels in Antrim any longer, so you could be lucky and might arrive sooner than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Just want to say fair play to Parcel Motel for talking to someone that sent me a package that had put the wrong name on the package and had left out my PMID.

Stellar stuff!

nava wrote: »
    That time should be when it was loaded in Dublin, they do not register parcels in Antrim any longer, so you could be lucky and might arrive sooner than you think.
    Got it at 23:30 last night in Bray, great service.

Have to say that its an excellent service, worked flawlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

Anyone know of a promo code for a new sign up? Looked at recent posts on Facebook but didn't see anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

leck wrote: »
    Anyone know of a promo code for a new sign up? Looked at recent posts on Facebook but didn't see anything.

Any existing customer email or PMID I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

Any existing customer email or PMID I think.
    I was registering for my sister, so I used my PMID for the referral.

I used the service this afternoon to send a package to my sister at her new PMID. Located the nearest PM in Castlebar but the sun was shining full on the screen so really difficult to read. Next time will bring an umbrella to shade it. Then the barcode wouldn't scan. I had taped over the barcode and thinking that might be a problem, I'd printed a spare on plain paper. But that wouldn't scan either :mad:. Then I manually keyed in the number and a locker door popped open and I deposited the package.

The tracking now shows that I deposited the package but I got nothing by email to confirm that I'd dropped it off. Maybe that only happens when the service (Nightline?) comes to pick it up?

Are the pick-up times at PM locations on a schedule. I saw no indication at the site. Is it a Monday to Friday service only, or do they pick-up/drop-off on Saturdays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Hi guys does nightline still run to these on a Saturday or is that now gone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement