Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Thread (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Spocker wrote: »
    Has anyone used PM to facilitate sending packages to themselves? [...]
    Only if you have 2 PM accounts. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

Has anyone used the parcel motel in Tescos, Maynooth?

I got a package delivered there but don't know how to find it. Its not where it seems to be on the map on the website. Anyone have any info on finding it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

Patww79 wrote: »

thanks! its saying on the site that its behind tesco's, by the river

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

MrWalsh wrote: »
    I see Parcel Motel have changed their Irish address on their website.

Was anyone notified about this? I just came across it by chance.

Only when I went to collect an oversize parcel at the Finglas depot just before closing time and found out I had to go to another place 2km away, at which point it was too late. In fairness the text/email alert did include the new address, I just didn't notice it.

They say you can keep on using the old address, just don't show up there expecting to collect anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

franer1970 wrote: »
    Only when I went to collect an oversize parcel at the Finglas depot just before closing time and found out I had to go to another place 2km away, at which point it was too late. In fairness the text/email alert did include the new address, I just didn't notice it.

They say you can keep on using the old address, just don't show up there expecting to collect anything.

Thanks Franer. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Anyone able to login to their account on Parcelmotel.com this morning? I'm getting a 404 - File or directory not found message.

franer1970 wrote: »
    Anyone able to login to their account on Parcelmotel.com this morning? I'm getting a 404 - File or directory not found message.

Yeah same for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Yeah same for me.

Me three... Was trying to send a parcel this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

My order form UK was delivered to Parcel Motel office in Belfast at 12:30 yesterday. No communication from PM at all. I understood it should be 24 hours from the time they receive it. Awaiting delivery to a Parcel Motel in Tallaght.

Anyone know how long delivery usually takes?

Edit: Just got an email from them. It's in the Dublin depot. So that's 29.5 hours between depots. You could cycle there and back in less time than that.

Yeah processing seems to have slowed down considerably alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Yeah processing seems to have slowed down considerably alright.

More people using ParcelMotel now. Parcels use to arrive at 7PM in the evening. Now not till 2am

Joo0 wrote: »
    More people using ParcelMotel now. Parcels use to arrive at 7PM in the evening. Now not till 2am

I think it's slowed down since they changed operations to check items in in Dublin rather than Belfast. They used check them in then send them to motels from Belfast. Now they take delivery in Belfast but ship them to Dublin before checking them in and sending them to motels. So there's an extra step.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

I think it's slowed down since they changed operations to check items in in Dublin rather than Belfast. They used check them in then send them to motels from Belfast. Now they take delivery in Belfast but ship them to Dublin before checking them in and sending them to motels. So there's an extra step.

I think that's how most of them work. Drag everything back to a central point and ship from there. It doesn't explain almost a day and a half between Belfast and Dublin though. I'm guessing they only send down a truck when it's full.
    Joo0 wrote: »

On that basis, could I expect delivery at 2am in the morning or 2am the next day? Do they ship immediately, or let it sit there for another day?
    My frigging ice sculpture will be melted. :eek: :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sambucus nigra

Just thought I'd share my last experience with Parcel Motel, ordered an item from overseas as they would not deliver to Republic of Ireland addresses.

As VAT/customs was due on the item, I was under the impression that if my parcel was pulled by customs, PM would just refuse it outright and it would most likely be returned to the sender automatically.

As it turns out they did refuse delivery, but it was all very coordinated. Parcel Motel themselves contacted me proactively and emailed me a scan of the customs docket, which had all the info I needed to log onto Royal Mails website, pay the customs by Credit Card and pick a time for redelivery to PM. Think it was 3 days in total from the package refusal to having the item in my locker down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

That's very good, I wonder if that is a standard approach or if it depends who is 'on'. Anyone else experienced this?

I don't think I would rely on them doing that around Christmas time though.

moleyv wrote: »
    That's very good, I wonder if that is a standard approach or if it depends who is 'on'. Anyone else experienced this?

I don't think I would rely on them doing that around Christmas time though.

Indeed, think a snowball would have a better chance in hell then PM doing this at peak times.

Also curious if this has happened to anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

My understanding was that Parcel Motel would refuse anything with outstanding VAT\Duty end of.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Also curious if this has happened to anyone else.
    I have not heard of it posted here anyway.

Do you do a lot of business with them? I wonder if that would sway them, not wanting to annoy a regular.

I suppose if they do return it they get no business off you themselves anyway, as I think there are no charges unless stuff is delivered. So if they have empty lockers and empty trucks it would certainly be in their interest. While as people say, at christmas time they might be delighted to be able to turn stuff away.

which had all the info I needed to log onto Royal Mails website, pay the customs by Credit Card and pick a time for redelivery to PM.
    Can you give more info price of the item and postage and the charges royal mail gave.

I know VAT would probably be 20% but if their admin fees are low or no existant then if PM did this as standard it could end up cheaper than buying stuff via normal post.

I am also wondering if it might be a royal mail thing, if it was dhl or fedex they might have said no.

rubadub wrote: »
    I have not heard of it posted here anyway.

Do you do a lot of business with them? I wonder if that would sway them, not wanting to annoy a regular.

I suppose if they do return it they get no business off you themselves anyway, as I think there are no charges unless stuff is delivered. So if they have empty lockers and empty trucks it would certainly be in their interest. While as people say, at christmas time they might be delighted to be able to turn stuff away.

Not really, would average maybe a delivery or two every other month.
    rubadub wrote: »
    Can you give more info price of the item and postage and the charges royal mail gave.

I know VAT would probably be 20% but if their admin fees are low or no existant then if PM did this as standard it could end up cheaper than buying stuff via normal post.

I am also wondering if it might be a royal mail thing, if it was dhl or fedex they might have said no.

Sure (figures slightly rounded for anonymity):

Order: ~£41
    Customs due: ~£16 (including Royal Mail handling fee of £8, so around £8 in VAT). Nothing extra was charged for scheduling the second delivery attempt)

I don't know if it was a once off or something they just facilitate where possible, but it made my life a good bit easier.

thanks for the info.

So if it had come here via normal post it would have been 23% vat, so

£9.43 on £41, rather than £8.20

an post charge €6 admin which is about £4.30, so £13.73 overall, so ~£2.27/€3.17 difference.

So the PM charge would wipe out that saving.

There would be a certain price where the vat difference would make it better. I was hoping royal mail fees would be less. Also the VAT would be going to the UK and not ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Such a long thread and tried to find an answer to this so wondering if anyone can help me. I'm looking to buy a road bike but the company will only ship to the UK. I'm wondering will PM accept this and would they deliver to the depots in Waterford or more than likely stay in Finglas depot and have to be picked up there? Either way if both options are available I'd be pretty happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Such a long thread and tried to find an answer to this so wondering if anyone can help me. I'm looking to buy a road bike but the company will only ship to the UK. I'm wondering will PM accept this and would they deliver to the depots in Waterford or more than likely stay in Finglas depot and have to be picked up there? Either way if both options are available I'd be pretty happy.

Ring them

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

If the supplier ships to NI, Parcel Motel will send the bike to their Waterford depot (Six Cross Roads Business Park) for your collection at a cost of €7 if the bike is under 35 KG 'Dimensional Weight' plus €7 for each additional 10 KG and remainder.
    Dimensional Weight = Length × Width × Height in cm / 3000

3. A Samsung 46” Smart LED TV in its box measures 130 × 70 × 16 cm so the dimensional weigh is 48.5 kg so the charge for this is €21.00 to collect and €31.50 to have delivered.

4. Bicycles, although light in actual weight, can be packaged in a very large box and have a big dimensional weight.

http://www.parcelmotel.com/prices/

You'll need pretty exact package dimensions from the supplier to establish if it's worthwhile or at least prepare you for any nasty surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

styron wrote: »
    If the supplier ships to NI, Parcel Motel will send the bike to their Waterford depot (Six Cross Roads Business Park) for your collection at a cost of €7 if the bike is under 35 KG 'Dimensional Weight' plus €7 for each additional 10 KG and remainder.

You'll need pretty exact package dimensions from the supplier to establish if it's worthwhile or at least prepare you for any nasty surprise.

Excellent, the bike weighs 7.5kg so extra packaging shouldn't be too heavy on it. Might determine the exact weight like you said to avoid the nasty surprise. Saving €1000 on the bike so can't go wrong if PM is a viable option.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement