Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Thread (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

devnull wrote:
    If you collect a parcel from Parcel Motel depot, does anyone know what the opening hours are?

They send you the opening hours in the email when it arrives at that depot.

I don't know if they are all the same, but weekdays in limerick it is open until 19.30. I'd say if you rang the depo you will know for sure. The numbers are on the night line website.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

devnull wrote: »
    If you collect a parcel from Parcel Motel depot, does anyone know what the opening hours are?

Main Nightline Jamestown Rd. depot (old PM base) is 8:00 - 19:00 according to this (with email contacts for the others).

Parcel Wizard do have a "Collect from your local depot" option if Rosemount Business Park or Airways Ind Est would suit you better. One caveat is that PW policy on oversized parcels is not as yet transparent on cost, but the reps have let a few marginal through on the forum so far, but run it by them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Niamhf wrote: »
    Bought an Adidas official match ball from eBay and used Parcel Motel for cheaper delivery. The package was stopped at customs in the UK and paid the £16.46 charge. Royal Mail confirmed delivery would be made to the depot in Antrim on December 2nd. I mailed Parcel Motel on Friday to check if it came through their depot, but they said they haven't received it. I checked in again today with them, but they still said they don't have it. I called Royal Mail and gave them my reference number, they said their records show a successful delivery. Have a bad feeling about this one! The reference number I have for Royal Mail is my customs payment reference and they also use that as the package reference for delivery, but Parcel Motel refuse to accept this number.

Presumably bought from the U.S.A. ?
    UK customs are a pain and even worse insist on a UK credit card or sterling draft etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

recipio wrote: »
    Presumably bought from the U.S.A. ?
    UK customs are a pain and even worse insist on a UK credit card or sterling draft etc.

Bought from Canada, had no trouble paying customs with my Irish Visa online. The main problem I am having is that Parcel Motel have said they never received my parcel, despite Royal Mail saying they delivered it to them last week :(

• Advertisement

Niamhf wrote: »
    Bought from Canada, had no trouble paying customs with my Irish Visa online. The main problem I am having is that Parcel Motel have said they never received my parcel, despite Royal Mail saying they delivered it to them last week :(

Well, I bought something from Amazon in the US directly to my Irish address and got a FedEx vat bill from the UK.!
    Tough luck with PM - their quality control is not up to scratch imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

Well, I bought something from Amazon in the US directly to my Irish address and got a FedEx vat bill from the UK.!

Wow, that's very interesting! I think I am going to swap back to getting items sent directly to my home, and pay extra for track and trace. I never realised that Parcel Motel is only liable up to €100. I found out today that when you submit details of your order on their website they increase the liability to €250 as it helps them identify mis-labeled items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

UK was port of entry to the EU in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Anyone had a problem with parcel motel washing their hands ?

Ordered some printed material from UK. Received Royal Mail confirmation of delivery to Parcel Motel Northern Ireland but no signature. Parcel Motel has no record of it and are saying I need to contact sender who of course say it was confirmed delivered by Royal Mail.

Parcel Motel lack of support would make me reluctant to use them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Anyone had a problem with parcel motel washing their hands ?

Ordered some printed material from UK. Received Royal Mail confirmation of delivery to Parcel Motel Northern Ireland but no signature. Parcel Motel has no record of it and are saying I need to contact sender who of course say it was confirmed delivered by Royal Mail.

Parcel Motel lack of support would make me reluctant to use them again.

Yes and this time of year it gets worse than usual.

Experienced some problems last year, a damaged item that PM signed for. They could not seem to understand that either they signed for a damaged item (so it was their problem) or it was damaged in their care (so it was their problem). There was a long long period of faffing about, not responding to emails etc... It eventually culminated in threats of solicitor letter at which point they paid out the value of the item. It had cost 60 pound sterling. They paid out 60 euro - but the hassle factor was so high I didnt bother chasing the rest.

I now only use them when there is no other alternative (ie, seller wont ship to Ireland) and just use my home address more often now.

An post have stopped charging for redelivery so if you miss a delivery at home you can send it on to address of your choice for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 johnymst

ordered electric shaver online from UK for 300e
    Used Parcel Motel
    No issues, delivered in less than 5 days awesome service. Very happy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Has anyone used Parcel Motel to send a parcel to a home address and if so, would you recomend it or should I look into a courier instead? I'm looking into sending Christmas presents this year, in case I can't make the journey myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Online Buying & Auctions

dudara

Thanks dudara :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Thread merged with sticky Parcel Motel Thread, you will get a better answer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Has anyone used Parcel Motel to send a parcel to a home address and if so, would you recomend it or should I look into a courier instead? I'm looking into sending Christmas presents this year, in case I can't make the journey myself.

Yeah I''ve used them 3 times, they're cheaper than an post but take a couple of days longer.

1 parcel took 6 days to get from Dublin to Kildare.

I used the service a couple of times, no issues with them but it was slower, in my case specially for them collecting the parcel after it was stored in the PM, it took a couple of days to be collected, but now with Xmas rush they might collect them faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Folks how are the Motels this year ? Is there much of a backup ?

I've ordered something from Amazon which is due on Saturday so wondering if it will be in my locker Monday or later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Psychosis

emmetkenny wrote: »

I've ordered something from Amazon which is due on Saturday so wondering if it will be in my locker Monday or later in the week.

I've been getting 1-3 day delay at Applegreen Mount Merrion, beginning at the start of last week.

It 100% depends with on the location you are using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

yes, Ive been getting a 1-3 day backup too.

I try to collect as quick as I can myself at this time of year to free up the space. Hope others do the same!

• Advertisement

Psychosis wrote: »
    I've been getting 1-3 day delay at Applegreen Mount Merrion, beginning at the start of last week.

It 100% depends with on the location you are using.

I use the Motel in Wexford town. 1-3 isnt to bad I suppose. Hope I get it before the Saturday anyway !!

Thanks guys, just one more question; they do send to a home address, don't they? The person won't get a message to pick it up at a Parcel Motel?

If they don't deliver to the home I'd have to use a courier instead. I don't want to be putting anyone out.

Thanks guys, just one more question; they do send to a home address, don't they? The person won't get a message to pick it up at a Parcel Motel?

If they don't deliver to the home I'd have to use a courier instead. I don't want to be putting anyone out.

Yes they will deliver to their address.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

6r7wk6.jpg

Yes. It's €2 more to home deliver than Parcel Motel deliver within Ireland. Make sure it's within locker dimensions chosen and under 10KG. On previous years experience better to get in sent within the next week too if you can.

testicle wrote: »
    UK was port of entry to the EU in that case.

Well, the seller on Amazon gave me a shipping price that I was happy with - he just didn't tell me that it was FedEx who always levy customs and VAT charges. Despite registering on the FedEx website there is no obvious way of paying online - it seem more dedicated to Corporate IT than your average consumer.I'll be very reluctant to buy from Amazon US again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Don't be so sure that Amazon will deliver on the promised date...

When placing a small order last Friday, I noticed that Amazon went through all sorts of tricks to try to get me either to sign up to their 'Amazon Prime' network service or to pay for expedited delivery. It was similar to the way Ryanair used to try to trick you into taking their travel insurance i.e. you needed to watch every single screen before pressing the proceed button to make sure that the option hadn't been changed and Amazon did change my selection on at least one screen. In my case I wanted free delivery and was prepared to accept a 3-5 day delivery.

The order was shipped Sunday (6th) with a delivery date of today (9th) and it was status 'arriving today' as of this afternoon so I had high hopes that it would be in my local Parcel Motel tomorrow. However when I checked the status this evening, the delivery date has changed to an unknown date between now and next Sunday (13th).

Looks to me like Amazon are getting a little bit nasty with the cheapskates who insist on free delivery! Strictly speaking this isn't a PM issue but the mere mention of PM will probably get the post dumped in here anyway!

coylemj wrote: »
    Don't be so sure that Amazon will deliver on the promised date...

When placing a small order last Friday, I noticed that Amazon went through all sorts of tricks to try to get me either to sign up to their 'Amazon Prime' network service or to pay for expedited delivery. It was similar to the way Ryanair used to try to trick you into taking their travel insurance i.e. you needed to watch every single screen before pressing the proceed button to make sure that the option hadn't been changed and Amazon did change my selection on at least one screen. In my case I wanted free delivery and was prepared to accept a 3-5 day delivery.

The order was shipped Sunday (6th) with a delivery date of today (9th) and it was status 'arriving today' as of this afternoon so I had high hopes that it would be in my local Parcel Motel tomorrow. However when I checked the status this evening, the delivery date has changed to an unknown date between now and next Sunday (13th).

Looks to me like Amazon are getting a little bit nasty with the cheapskates who insist on free delivery! Strictly speaking this isn't a PM issue but the mere mention of PM will probably get the post dumped in here anyway!

I picked 5 day delivery. Amazon gave an estimated delivery of the 12th which is Saturday. I ordered on Sunday and it shipped on Monday afternoon.

I'm not in a massive rush just hoping it'll be arriving early next week to my Parcel Motel in Wexford so as to avoid the biggest queues for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

PM have my parcel in their depot days and then just received this:
    As the Dolphin's Barn Maxol Parcel Motel is very busy at the moment, we have arranged a temporary pick up point from the Parcel Motel bus which will be parked at the Maxol Dolphin's Barn.

Our delivery team will be there between 5pm and 9pm this evening (Thurs 10th December) in a big yellow bus with your parcel on board.

Don't worry if you can't make it this tomorrow, uncollected parcels will be stored later in the Parcel Motel for you to pick up at your convenience.

Anyone ever pick anything up off the PM bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

PM have my parcel in their depot days and then just received this:

Anyone ever pick anything up off the PM bus?

Got an email saying that I could collect at Dolphins Barn.
    Also got a text saying I could collect at the Goat pub, but I didn't read the text so I went to Dolphins Barn and of course my package wasn't there.
    Didn't bother going to the Goat.

There was a white mini bus there with a driver and a woman in the back, with the packages and a list of names on a clipboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,706 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Looks like the usual December backlog with them, I bought a few items off amazon and just got them delivered to my house. It's really not worth the hassle using them from Black Friday until after Christmas. They are grand to use for the rest of the year, just forget about the Christmas period.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement