Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Thread (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

I note that PM are now incorporating a QR scanner at the lockers.

The instructions include the statement
    "scan the QR code on the screen below the scanner underneath the screen on the machine."
    This baffled me for a while as it appears to be very poorly worded.

It roughly translates to "scan the QR code on your mobile device using the scanner positioned below the locker screen"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

degsie wrote: »

The instructions include the statement
    "scan the QR code on the screen below the scanner underneath the screen on the machine."
    This baffled me for a while as it appears to be very poorly worded.

It roughly translates to "scan the QR code on your mobile device using the scanner positioned below the locker screen"

You can still use the PIN and SMS for now, but I expect it will be going away eventually— a cost-saving measure, I'm sure, as emails are cheaper for them to send.

So long as they don't dump the PIN system completely though, I can live with it. I don't like taking my phone out at the motel because I feel it increases your chances of being a target for crime, so I always write the number down on a slip of paper before I leave the house. If it becomes code-only, you'll have to whip out the phone or fire up the printer before you go, and I think this would be a step backwards.

They'd be better spending money increasing the motel sizes and/or making sure deliveries are dropped out to each daily to ensure speed than on this kind of thing, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

DivingDuck wrote: »
    They'd be better spending money increasing the motel sizes and/or making sure deliveries are dropped out to each daily to ensure speed than on this kind of thing, IMO.

Totally agree with this. Plenty of times packages not delivered because motel was full. Also the time it takes to deliver from Dublin depot to some motels in Dublin is ridiculous. I would get notification that my package is in Dublin Depot at around 2pm, and it wouldn't arrive at the CityWest depot until 11.30 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

It's ridiculously slow these days, I've been waiting on something that was delivered to Newry Friday last week. Almost a full week and its still only checked into parcel motel depot. Think this is the last time I'm using this service. I understand delays at busy times but a Week is just too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I got a text last night saying they were directing my parcel to esso sandford road instead of milltown as it was full. Must be a new location, but is closer for me, and parcel was delivered last night.

Permanently changed my locker location now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Esso in Rathmines (Grosvenor Rd.) now has one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

They seem to be opening a lot of new locations. Changed mine to one that opened last week thats much much closer. Delighted as the item I was worried about arrived in the Dublin depot yesterday and landed in the locker at 1.15am last night.

Interestingly the photo they sent was sans-parcel!

b3ueex.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Logged into my support account to see about my "how to close my account" query akd apparently it was solved.

Had to create a follow up which will be another week no doubt.

Website merely says to create a ticket. I take it by their closure of my query they've decided they know better and won't close it. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The 2 times I've had to use that scanner to scan the printed barcode on parcels I've sent through PM it hasn't worked at all, so I wouldn't rate the chances of it scanning a QR code on a phone very highly at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Does anyone know how long it takes PM to respond to a ticket.

My parcel arrived to the Dublin depot on 12/11/16 and was scanned by the my local depot on 14/11/2016..... however, I have yet to receive a notification that it has been dropped off at my parcel motel collection point....

I never waited this long for a delivery. I contacted them via the support ticket service on Wednesday.....and have heard nothing back :(

Does anyone know if there is a alternative way to contact them?

Thanks

EDIT: Ah, it appears this is not an isolated incident and that many people are experiencing delays with their deliveries.....and no replies from customer support :o

• Advertisement

Could be internal staffing/technical/logistics issues. With black friday and cyber monday coming up it can only get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Kamili wrote: »
    They seem to be opening a lot of new locations. Changed mine to one that opened last week thats much much closer. Delighted as the item I was worried about arrived in the Dublin depot yesterday and landed in the locker at 1.15am last night.

Interestingly the photo they sent was sans-parcel!

b3ueex.jpg

I got the same photo :P

My depot told me just to ring my local nightline depot with queries.

Have you checked your pm account to see its tracking movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Tue 15 Nov 16:32 Parcel Motel Parcel in transit to motel
    3 days so far to get from Finglas depot to Lucan motel - still not arrived.
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

I have similar issue - had a pricey parcel confirmed signed by them last Friday 11th - not a peep out of parcel motel and not replying to emails. No sign of the parcel a week later.

zapata wrote: »
    Tue 15 Nov 16:32 Parcel Motel Parcel in transit to motel
    3 days so far to get from Finglas depot to Lucan motel - still not arrived.
    :mad:

Go to the nightline website and put in the same tracking number. You'll normally see further details like when it went out on the van and where it was scanned back to.

Mine was like that. PM website didn't show it was scanned into Limerick as the locker was full. I had to find that out on Nightline, figured out it was in the depot, so went there and boom found it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Parcel motel are particularly slow at the moment. I can only imagine it's going to get worse as we get closer to Christmas.

They should start offering an incentive (a PM coupon maybe) for people who collect their parcels within 24hours and they should combine multiple parcels for the same recipient into a single locker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Graham wrote: »
    Parcel motel are particularly slow at the moment. I can only imagine it's going to get worse as we get closer to Christmas.

They should start offering an incentive (a PM coupon maybe) for people who collect their parcels within 24hours and they should combine multiple parcels for the same recipient into a single locker.

Ive been saying from the beginning they should combine multiple parcels into a single locker. Not just now but always. Pain in the ass having to repeatedly key in your phone number and text code for each individual item. I can see how it would cause logistic issues though.

I can see how it would cause logistic issues though.

I can't to be honest. Courier scans barcode, locker containing Parcel A opens, Parcel B is inserted.

At its worst, locker containing Parcel A opens along with a larger locker of sufficient size to hold Parcel A and B.

In both instances, time to collect is reset to 48hrs remaining.

I can't to be honest. Courier scans barcode, locker containing Parcel A opens, Parcel B is inserted.

At its worst, locker containing Parcel A opens along with a larger locker of sufficient size to hold Parcel A and B.

In both instances, time to collect is reset to 48hrs remaining.

I meant logistic issues with the load planning.

Parcels are varying sizes and shapes. So itd be very difficult to plan how many of an individuals parcels would fit into one locker.

Im not sure how they handle the load planning now of course, but I doubt its just human decision at the lockers - theyd need to decide how many parcels of each size to put in the van before sending the guy out - with tolerance built in for how empty the lockers are expected to be etc....

The only way I could see it working would be if you have 4 deliveries packaged into one parcel by parcel motel before sending it out on a van - but thats an extra service so theyd be charging more to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It may be a very deliberate setup to prevent user error. 4 parcels in a unit, user collects 3, forgets the 4th. Unit is recycled for use and next person gets a free random item. Original user then goes nuts at PM for losing their item.

People can be really damn stupid some times.

ED E wrote: »
    It may be a very deliberate setup to prevent user error. 4 parcels in a unit, user collects 3, forgets the 4th. Unit is recycled for use and next person gets a free random item. Original user then goes nuts at PM for losing their item.

People can be really damn stupid some times.

I do think itd be far more prone to, eh, "losing" parcels ;)

A big flashing "Alert You Have X packages in your locker accompanied" by an appropriate "whoop whoop whoop" noise should be sufficient for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A big flashing "Alert You Have X packages in your locker accompanied" by an appropriate "whoop whoop whoop" noise should be sufficient for most people.

AFAIK there are no sensors internally, the PM couldnt detect it.

ED E wrote: »
    AFAIK there are no sensors internally, the PM couldnt detect it.

Wouldn't need to. Back-end system should be able to track how many parcels are currently occupying a locker.

Berty wrote: »
    Go to the nightline website and put in the same tracking number. You'll normally see further details like when it went out on the van and where it was scanned back to.

Mine was like that. PM website didn't show it was scanned into Limerick as the locker was full. I had to find that out on Nightline, figured out it was in the depot, so went there and boom found it.

Same result on
    http://www.nightline-delivers.com/SmartShip.Online/Tracking
    Item Status Depot Scan Time Signature / Notes
    1 PM InTransit 15/11/2016 16:32:06
    as
    http://my.parcelmotel.com/Member

It's stuck in some fcukers Ford Transit....

Wouldn't need to. Back-end system should be able to track how many parcels are currently occupying a locker.

Could get users to QR scan their packages after removal from locker.

Could get users to QR scan their packages after removal from locker.

You could but I'd bet that would be even more prone to ignoring than forgetting a parcel.

I got through to support on 1890321890 and guy said he would ask driver to priororitise it for tonights delivery. Will wait and see. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭fernrock

zapata wrote: »
    Same result on
    http://www.nightline-delivers.com/SmartShip.Online/Tracking
    Item Status Depot Scan Time Signature / Notes
    1 PM InTransit 15/11/2016 16:32:06
    as
    http://my.parcelmotel.com/Member

It's stuck in some fcukers Ford Transit....

There would seem to be a problem with Limerick.
    My package was put in the locker in a Limerick on 29/10 . As I was unable to collect it within the 48 hrs it was returned to the limerick depot and hasn't been seen since.
    I am now awaiting for the compensation to come through , which should be 7 working days from last Fri 11/11 when PM accepted it was lost.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement