Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Thread (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently ordered something worth approx $25 to Parcel Motel. It got delivered and everything's great.

However, the other day I received a follow up letter from UPS (if genuine) to Parcel Motel saying I owe them UK customs charges.

Now, if this is genuine I'd have no issue paying. But the charges are about the same as what the item cost in the first place, which makes me suspect shenanigans.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Customs charges via Parcel Motel? How did you handle it?

If UPS had to pay, then I'll cover it. But if they are trying to over charge me then I won't be so willing!

MOD: Merged

Customs charges are calculated on the price of the item+shipping, what was the total price you paid for item and shipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Hi,

I recently ordered something worth approx $25 to Parcel Motel. It got delivered and everything's great.

However, the other day I received a follow up letter from UPS (if genuine) to Parcel Motel saying I owe them UK customs charges.

Now, if this is genuine I'd have no issue paying. But the charges are about the same as what the item cost in the first place, which makes me suspect shenanigans.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Customs charges via Parcel Motel? How did you handle it?

If UPS had to pay, then I'll cover it. But if they are trying to over charge me then I won't be so willing!

The UK charges VAT on imports worth more than 15£ (and that is price of goods + postage, packaging, insurance + duty you owe).

So 25$ goods is 20£ plus what ever the seller paid UPS for shipping, so you are clearly having a VAT liability there.

Also depending on the shipping charge there might be customs duty even on a 25$ goods, the UK does not charge custom duty under 135£ (they don't collect anything under 7£) however remember that postage, packaging and insurance are part of the calculation for customs duty value.

On top of that UPS charges a customs broker fee for them doing the customs declaration and paying the money to HMCR.

The letter you got from UPS should outline what the exact charges (VAT / Customs / Fee) were and what they used as calculation basis (i.e. Goods Value, Shipping Charges etc.).

But generally unless they did a real wrong valuation you will need to have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Robotito

deex wrote: »
    Having a big problem with Parcel Motel at the moment, can anyone offer advice?

A few weeks ago, I ordered 2 parcels from the UK with Parcel Motel. But then, I ended up changing my mobile phone number (and PM have the old number as my contact info).

I get an email telling me my parcels are in Dublin and they'll be with me soon... And then a few days later, another email telling me they're in the Dublin depot again.

A few days later I realised my problem - PM only have my "old" phone number, and they're going to text my PIN to that number, which I won't receive.

So I spend ages trying to find a contact number for PM, can't seem to find one, so I send an e-mail to their customer care explaining the situation and giving them my new phone number.

It's been well over a week and I still haven't heard anything. In the meantime, my two parcels are being sent from Dublin, to my town, back to Dublin, back to my town, back to Dublin, back to my town... And I'm getting charged €3.95 each time.

How the hell do I get my parcels!? I have no idea how to contact them other than the (ignored) email. I need them for Christmas presents :(

I don't mind going to the Dublin depot to collect them, I just really need them. And I really need to stop being charged €3.95 over and over again while my parcels are stuck in infinite limbo. Any ideas?!

If you go onto their website, log in and scroll down the page you will see all your deliveries listed. The pin code for any uncollected item stored in a motel locker will be displayed. If you do not see a code try using a different internet browser....previously I used Firefox and my code was not displayed but when I opened it in Chrome there it was (this was probably due to not having an updated version of Firefox, or flashplayer issues)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I thought Parcel Motel will not accept anything with outstanding charges? Unless they weren't aware of the charge when they did accept it at their Depot?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I thought Parcel Motel will not accept anything with outstanding charges? Unless they weren't aware of the charge when they did accept it at their Depot?

Not all couriers do COD, some bill afterwards like UPS have here. Intake at PM wouldnt be aware nor care.

COD packages they'll reject and will be returned to sender.
    But the charges are about the same as what the item cost in the first place, which makes me suspect shenanigans.

Its likely UPS did not believe the CN22 docket (if present) was valid and thus applied their own valuation. DHL Looooooooove doing that. If you provide UPS/HMRC with the invoice they can recalculate it down to the actual amount. Expect to still pay a ripoff handling fee though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

plodder wrote: »
    I got that text too. Seems sound enough. Have to say I've never had a problem with their service and been using it for 3 years now.

Do you think there's any chance of getting the stays refunded seeing as we didn't technically used the locker and had to go to the depot to pick up the parcels? I wouldn't ask for it now when they're insanely busy, maybe in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

I think PM is a great service. But I will never use it again over the Christmas period. I got burnt two Christmases ago so after that I'll never use them during the holidays. Seems to me they haven't got the trained staff or the knowledge needed to pull it off. Been using adresspal for the last 2 weeks and been surprised how good it's been.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I think PM is a great service. But I will never use it again over the Christmas period. I got burnt two Christmases ago so after that I'll never use them during the holidays. Seems to me they haven't got the trained staff or the knowledge needed to pull it off. Been using adresspal for the last 2 weeks and been surprised how good it's been.

Same here. I'll use them during the year but certainly won't next Christmas for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

Bumped into the delivery driver at Tesco Arklow yesterday. He had two full crates to deposit but left with one half crate left undelivered. Of course he wouldn't let me take a peak to see if my package was there-I was just chancing!

There was nothing he could do but come back the next time and try again when people have collected their items and freed up more collection bays.

It would hardly warrant a second collection point at the same location for the Christmas period. Wasn't impressed with AddressPal's lack of noticifations or queing in PO for collection.

Irritating when you're waiting for things!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Aokay

Had 2 packages delivered through PM the past week or so and had no major problems. They just took a day or two longer to get to me.
    I was a bit annoyed that they changed my preferred collection point to one that's further away from me for "convenience" as the one I usually use was probably full. I wouldn't have much of an issue with it if they actually told me they changed it. I had to manually change it back myself after the parcel was delivered.
    Going to use parcel wizard from now on and get them to drop deliveries at a local collection point just a few minutes walk down the road from now on.
    They've taken a big hit to their reputation the past few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Decinho

Hi,

I registered, put money on my account and then tried to send a parcel to another parcelmotel person. The money has come off my account but I got sent no e-mail with a barcode...... What do i do now or how can I get the barcode? I really need to send this parcel today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

cronos wrote: »
    So my parents went to collect my item in my local PM today. I think they put in the number and pin but got confused and didn't know where to take out the item as they didn't understand where to look.

A couple of things could have happened now:

1. Is it possible someone else came along later and stole the item as the door had been left open?
    2. The door of the PM locker closed and the item is just sitting in there.

Anyone any experience with this scenario? From looking online it says it's
    With Customer' which would make sense if the door opened and they expected the item was removed. Not sure they would have sensors smart enough to know that the item is still in there.

Any advice appreciated. I've sent their support team a support request via the find my parcel feature on the website.

So for anyone else that may end up in this scenario described above. I went to the local Nightline depot where Parcel Motel store it's items in Sligo before they are distributed to the PM lockers (also where you pickup oversized items). They had the item, not sure if they always had it or if they took it back when the item was left in the locker by my Mother (see story above). But anyway I got the item back.

PS. I never got a reply back from the support ticket I raise with Parcel Motel so I suggest trying to find out who's your local depot and going to them directly if you can. The only reason I knew who our local depot was is because recently I had to collect an item from them directly when there was not space in the lockers.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

Hello
    One of the my last packages came in damaged. Opened ticket a week ago no response obviously, just standard procedure to do nothing and person will give up. Not the first time from their side to be honest. Presume its time to close account and start looking for something new.

20161212_044614.jpg

20161212_044625.jpg

20161212_045203.jpg

20161212_045214.jpg

They wrote 12.12.16
    Hello,

Thank you for your email.

We’ve raised a ticket 188081 and a member of our Support Team will get back to you as soon as possible with an update.

As it is a busy time of year, we are currently experiencing high volumes of tickets so it may take us a little longer than usual to get back to you.

Looking for your parcel?
    If your parcel is taking longer than expected to reach you, it could be that it arrived without your PMID and is currently being kept safe in our Dublin Depot. If you would like to search our hold area for your parcel, you can use our new ‘Find My Parcel’ service – simply log into your account and select ‘Find My Parcel’.

Forgot to add your PMID to your order?
    Simply log into your Parcel Motel account and click on the ‘Parcel Diary’ button to add your PMID to your order.

Thanks,

The Parcel Motel Team

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

So for anyone else that may end up in this scenario described above. I went to the local Nightline depot where Parcel Motel store it's items in Sligo before they are distributed to the PM lockers (also where you pickup oversized items). They had the item, not sure if they always had it or if they took it back when the item was left in the locker by my Mother (see story above). But anyway I got the item back.

PS. I never got a reply back from the support ticket I raise with Parcel Motel so I suggest trying to find out who's your local depot and going to them directly if you can. The only reason I knew who our local depot was is because recently I had to collect an item from them directly when there was not space in the lockers.

Glad you got sorted. You were lucky though, and it was nice to see a good ending.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

If you choose the Dublin depot does that mean you wont have the issues with full lockers? ie you can collect it once it arrives there?

Thanks
    UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

joker@ wrote: »
    Hello
    One of the my last packages came in damaged. Opened ticket a week ago no response obviously, just standard procedure to do nothing and person will give up. Not the first time from their side to be honest. Presume its time to close account and start looking for something new.
    [/code]

I suggest going to the depot in person like I mention in my last post. Might be more likely to get a response. I got nothing from the support email address either. Not even an acknowledgment that anyone had read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ccmp

I've been using parcelmotel since the start.  Service has been excellent. Staff always friendly and helpful when I've had to contact them.  I also use addresspal and parcel wizard, but prefer to stick with pmotel as they pioneered the service.  They haven't done themselves any favours over the last month. I've had packages take 3 weeks , but I have to say that they all pretty much came through in the end.  I reckon they have lost regular customers over the last month.                             Needs to be sorted for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Reminder that Newry PM is closing for the Christmas from 11am today. Any packages delivered after 11am, will not be delivered to Ireland until 28/29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

I suggest going to the depot in person like I mention in my last post. Might be more likely to get a response. I got nothing from the support email address either. Not even an acknowledgment that anyone had read it.
    Will leave it after Christmas time , too busy right now myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Does the parcel have to be boxed? Would they take a big thick black bag with a good few boxes in it? I don't have a big enough box to fit all the little ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Does the parcel have to be boxed? Would they take a big thick black bag with a good few boxes in it? I don't have a big enough box to fit all the little ones.

They will take it but the problem I see with a bag is that might rip and parcels might fall out. If you use a bag use lots of tape and tight it around the boxes inside.

You could go to your local supermarket, they should have boxes to give, on Lidl you can take them yourself from the fruit are or from shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Got to 3 packages sent via PM in the past week, 1 delivered to them on friday, 2 on saturday.
    2 of these were delivered yesterday and just received text to say the 3rd is in the motel now awaiting collection.

Given the week thats in it Im very impresssed by the speed of turnaround.

(I use the PM at bizquip in sandyford, might be one of the quieter locations)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Thankfully my local motel is back to same day delivery. A parcel delivered to Antrim yesterday morning was stored in my local motel last night. And a parcel delivered to them this morning is already in transit to motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

Does anybody know if their refer a friend incentive is still there?

My friend signed up (and had an item delivered to his assigned motel) and used my PMID as referral, but I haven't had a free stay added to my account?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

Just coming across this thread and haven't read it all so maybe the below has already been covered.

Overall, I enjoy the service from Parcel Motel. But I'd like it to be better.
    Is there any avenue for customers to log 'enhancements' to the service? I know there is the option of raising support tickets but I've never had much faith in those.

What I was thinking:
    1. Delivery consolidation
      I don't mind paying for each and every parcel I receive, but why am I not able to log (via the online site) that I'm expecting e.g. 3 deliveries in the coming days, and to hold off delivering until they've all arrived. Parcel Motel could restrict this to allowing a maximum wait time etc. before sending out the parcels they do currently have for the customer.
      Advertise it as being 'green' or just basic convenient, insofar as you are facilitating customers making a single journey to their motel location to pick-up parcels.

2. Delivery blackout days
      Lately, I'm receiving notifications that my parcel has arrived at the motel on Friday evenings at 7:00pm after I've left work. But the parcel motel I use is near where I work, a good 25 miles from where I live. Because of the 48hr pick-up limit I have to drive back in to collect otherwise pay the cost of the over stay etc. etc.
      So, allow a customer to indicate to Parcel Motel to not deliver on certain days. There are technical limits for Parcel Motel given they wouldn't be able to hold on to parcels indefinitely or be used as a temporary storage facility, but a small change could add a lot of value.

I've been hit with delivery delays these last few weeks likes lots of others. The first suggestion above would probably alleviate the issues of a lack of locker space...provided of course customers are expecting multiple deliveries.

If enough customers suggesting the same/similar improvements (and other improvements hopefully), I imagine it would be hard (not impossible mind you) for Parcel Motel to ignore.

Could point Parcel Motel to a thread here on boards and see what happens. What do you guys think...start a new thread for this sort of thing? Contact a mod first?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Parcel motel are aware of the thread, they said it to me when I sent them a link about it... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

Fieldog wrote: »
    Parcel motel are aware of the thread, they said it to me when I sent them a link about it... :)

Are they indifferent or was there anything (when you pointed it out to them) that came of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

I got a text today to say my parcel was ready for collection, and if i collected it within 4 hours a telly could be won! Incentives to clear locker quicker i see

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If they're aware of it they should e-mail hello@boards.ie and get a Rep back on here. If they hired all those people(supposedly) to deal with backlog and they no longer operate a chat function then they should be on here.

Even when they're finished with the Christmas onslaught somebody should be tasked to be on here in the "Talk to" section of the website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Are they indifferent or was there anything (when you pointed it out to them) that came of it?

Indifferent to it, they agreed that their Twitter/FB Boards was rife with complaints and they were getting through the backlog...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement