Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Thread (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

From the crappy picture it doesnt look too bent out of shape, wonder if they defeated it somehow vs levering it open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

There's some way of getting all the lockers to open one by one. I presume its some code/maintenance mode. No idea if there is a hardware component like a key or just inputs into the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

ED E wrote: »
    From the crappy picture it doesnt look too bent out of shape, wonder if they defeated it somehow vs levering it open.

My thoughts too, I'd imagine the delivery person has a code to unlock all compartments in one hit?

Maybe someone had the code?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

My thoughts too, I'd imagine the delivery person has a code to unlock all compartments in one hit?

Maybe someone had the code?

Havent watched the fill process but I would assume its scan parcel, scan locker, door opens - that way parcels cant be mixed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Kamili wrote: »
    urgh that doesn't instill confidence at all...
    AFAIK this is the first time this has happened in over 4 years of operation. That's a pretty good record tbf, considering they stick out like a sore thumb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

fxotoole wrote:
    Note to self: Don't use the Lucan parcel notel

The one at the Texaco on the Lucan bypass is the safest location in the country.

It has 24 hour Garda protection, very often including the armed support units.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Havent watched the fill process but I would assume its scan parcel, scan locker, door opens - that way parcels cant be mixed up.

Possibly, but that picture shows no sign of brute force from what I can see.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,574 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Damn that’s my depot luckily had nothing due in there but I usually go up once I get the text at night the place is deserted and very quite but I did think they had a night watchman on often see him sitting in his car at front of car wash!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Wondering if Parcel Motel would accept delivery of Expanding Foam?

https://www.hilti.co.uk/construction-chemicals/foams/r4542

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Looking to a buy a monitor that will obviously be oversized, given the stories here of cracked screens and stuff am I probably best to pay for "extended liability"? Sadly thanks to Amazon who randomly for no reason (I asked them why) stopped delivering pretty much all 27 inch 1440p 144Hz monitors so don't really have any other option but to use PM (Parcel Wizard's calculator suggested I'd probably end up paying more than PM).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

That is terrible about the PM depot in Lucan being robbed. I can see some of the doors hanging off. Hope the little bastards are found because it is a great service. The Indo says locals have reported seeing empty boxes strewn across nearby streets – people’s packages apparently opened and discarded if they were not of any worth to the thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

its hit the news now:

http://www.thejournal.ie/parcel-motel-robbery-dublin-3605354-Sep2017/
    Customers are now being urged to contact the company by email if they fear they have lost their deliveries.

Why aren't parcel motel being more pro-active and contacting affected customers instead? I wonder if you did mail them would they even bother responding..

oh this is why not
    The precise number of people affected is not yet known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Rackstar wrote: »
    Wondering if Parcel Motel would accept delivery of Expanding Foam?

https://www.hilti.co.uk/construction-chemicals/foams/r4542

Look up their terms and conditions, But this stuff can be got for €5 up from Goodwins, https://www.goodwins.ie/expanding-foam/c-112.html
    Why pay £7.79 plus PM, about €13?

This really sucks.

Hopefully it doesn't do anything to damage their reputation, because I've always found Parcel Motel to be nothing but reliant.

You mean like this?

428371.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I just read about the Lucan PM. Scumbags.
    That must surely be kids or thicks. For what they are risking getting charged with, it could not be worth it.

I am guessing that they could get charged with multiple accounts of individual/personal theft? Destruction of property, vandalism etc..

Pure scumbag thing to do. I hope that they get caught and a serious example is made of them. I also hope that whatever they got was worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Suckit wrote: »
    I just read about the Lucan PM. Scumbags.
    That must surely be kids or thicks. For what they are risking getting charged with, it could not be worth it.

I am guessing that they could get charged with multiple accounts of individual/personal theft? Destruction of property, vandalism etc.
    Yeah, its stupid, especially hearing stuff is just dumped. Would likely cost thousands to fix the doors, and thousands in loss of goodwill & confidence. And they probably only ended up a few bits n bobs they did not really want.

I remember copper pipes robbed from a empty building near me, cost €10,000's of damage to flooring etc, probably got €100 off the scrap man.

The worry is other scum now know these things are vulnerable, so might have a go. If it is some trick to opening due to a flaw others might cop on too.
    OSI wrote: »
    Is theft of post a separate offence here? I know it is in England, and taken quite a bit more seriously then regular shoplifting etc.
    I think most of those post offences would be for the official government run postal services, not couriers. I remember years ago reading some postman in the US had the longest or one of the longest prison sentences ever handed down. He was routinely not delivering post and went down for something like a couple of hundred years. Think its a federal offence or something.

I'd imagine the first forced open door would immediately set of an alert somewhere, provided someone was monitoring it. It should also set off a loud alarm and lights at the site, but I don't know if they have this implemented. If they had such an alert, the cops could be informed and be on the way before they emptied the last locker. I note that Lucan was flagged as the busiest PM on this blog, maybe the culprits read this. They probably also knew when the van arrived in the small hours to fill the lockers and struck then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

The one at the Texaco on the Lucan bypass is the safest location in the country.

It has 24 hour Garda protection, very often including the armed support units.

And yet it got broken into

fxotoole wrote: »
    And yet it got broken into

Adamstown Maxol got broken into. Texaco on the bypass is a different place altogether.

PS: PMs website appears to be CRAWLING right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Adamstown Maxol got broken into. Texaco on the bypass is a different place altogether.

PS: PMs website appears to be CRAWLING right now.

Yeah, it's been unusable for a while. I sent them a tweet a while back even though they should probably already know it's pretty much down. Any reason why that might be though, not like the negative press coverage will actually resort in a surge of new customers? I kind of want to do my oversized order today so this complicates things, might just try Parcel Wizard...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Is theft of post a separate offence here? I know it is in England, and taken quite a bit more seriously then regular shoplifting etc.

Criminal damage is an offence. then pile on the rest after

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Criminal damage is an offence. then pile on the rest after

Parcels arent mail, but packets are. Doubt many get letters to PM. Could be a dozen or so charges in there at least.
    (1) A person commits an offence if he or she, without the agreement of the addressee and, in the case of a person who is a postal service provider or an employee or agent of a postal service provider, contrary to his or her duty, intentionally—

(a) delays, detains, interferes with or opens, a postal packet addressed to another person or does anything to prevent its delivery or authorises, suffers or permits another person (who is not the addressee) to do so,

Communications Regulation (Postal Services) Act 2011

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Parcels arent mail, but packets are. Doubt many get letters to PM. Could be a dozen or so charges in there at least.

Communications Regulation (Postal Services) Act 2011

But the packets aren’t sent by Post, and wouldn’t be covered under the regulations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Parcels arent mail, but packets are.
    I would imagine "postal packet" is a legal term which includes things described by an post as letters/postcards, large envelopes, parcels or packets -which are simply ways of describing pricing arrangements. An post could introduce a "large parcel" definition tomorrow and I doubt any laws would have to be updated in fear of it being exempt from the law

As I said before I doubt any of this applies to parcel motel services.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement