Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Thread (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

most if not all amazon.com deliverys already take the customs/import duty at the point of sale so there is nothing more to pay

they calculate it in your basket as you checkout, so its a non issue for amazon.com orders

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

what if there is vat or duty on your item?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Libera

what if there is vat or duty on your item?

It's in the FAQ's on their site:

"What happens if there is VAT and/or Duty due on my item?

Please ensure that any charges payable are paid in advance of delivery. Parcel Motel will not accept responsibility for payment of any VAT or Duty charges due on items delivered. If the postal operator or courier asks for cash on delivery, your item will be refused by us."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Bought a few things in the UK and used this service, so far it's been brilliant. Would recommend it to anyone and they are still doing two free deliveries for all new sign-ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 liam100

Unfortunately not all Amazon.com orders which are delivered from USA depots charge the custom/import duty at the time of purchase. This duty has to be paid at the time of delivery in Ireland. When purchasing from Amazon.com it is impossible to predict what will happen as in my experience it varies between different USA states. I've been charged for duty several times for DVD purchases shipped from the USA. I'm usually never at home and have to travel to An Post depot to pay the duty. Parcel Motel won't pay this duty and the delivery is sent back. Parcel Motel is useless when this happens and people should be aware of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

liam100 wrote: »
    Unfortunately not all Amazon.com orders which are delivered from USA depots charge the custom/import duty at the time of purchase. This duty has to be paid at the time of delivery in Ireland. When purchasing from Amazon.com it is impossible to predict what will happen as in my experience it varies between different USA states. I've been charged for duty several times for DVD purchases shipped from the USA. I'm usually never at home and have to travel to An Post depot to pay the duty. Parcel Motel won't pay this duty and the delivery is sent back. Parcel Motel is useless when this happens and people should be aware of it.

I think thats a bit harsh, it is clearly in their terms and conditions that they wont accept any items that need to have duty or vat paid. If you need stuff from the states there are plenty of sites around that will resend items to here that you can pay the vat on.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Used Parcel Motel for the first time last week and got my delivery on Saturday evening when I managed to get to the depot (Amiens St). Great service, saved myself around €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Just popping in to say I used Parcel Motel for an Amazon purchase, the seller wouldn't ship to Ireland, and it was free delivery in the UK.

I used the one in Grand Canal Dock - and I'm pleased to report it was a faultless transaction, and I'm looking forward to using it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,912 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Esel wrote: »
    See Parcel Motel: Orla's post a few pages back. BT36 4PE is now the recommended postcode, and 'Mallusk' is not needed in the address anymore.
    blahblah06 wrote: »
    Why haven't they sent a email to there customers stating this
    Looks like they took your advice.. e-mail just recieved:
    Important announcement regarding Parcel Motel Northern Ireland address

Dear Parcel Motel Customer

We've just heard from Royal Mail that (due to increasing parcel volumes coming in to us) they have dedicated BT36 4PE to Nightline Parcel Motel.

4PX will still work but if you experience any addressing difficulties please try the 4PE postcode. Also, they have informed us that we do not need to include Mallusk in our address. That gives you more space to include your name and your PMID which is very important as it lets us know where to send your parcel. So the full address is:

Your Name
    Your PMID
    Parcel Motel
    1A McKinney Road
    Newtownabbey
    Co Antrim
    BT36 4PE

We will be migrating all of our publicity material to this new postcode over time as old stock runs out. Again, don’t worry if you have parcels on the way to the 4PX address they will still reach our check in centre as normal. For new orders the 4PE address is the correct one to use from now on.

We’re delighted to announce that Parcel Motel is going nationwide and we will be adding 60 new locations before year end. Please like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for live location updates and watch out for our Christmas competition which will be coming soon.

Thank you for using Parcel Motel!

The Parcel Motel Team.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Ferrakins

This is brilliant. I had something delivered to finglas thurs morn and it was ready for me to pick up in miltown by 2pm. Thanks very much.

The only probem i have is that i didnt think of it first;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What would be a useful features would be for PM to email am update that a package has arrived to their depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

I've made a major f**k up with regard to this...
    I ordered from play.com to the newtownabbey depot to be shipped to Dublin but forgot to put my name and PMID in the address.
    ah well twas only a voucher

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

i see on facebook a parcelmotel opening on the mountain top letterkenny as this seems my nearest one it may be of some use to me anyone any ideas when it opens??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

AG2R wrote: »
    I've made a major f**k up with regard to this...
    I ordered from play.com to the newtownabbey depot to be shipped to Dublin but forgot to put my name and PMID in the address.
    ah well twas only a voucher
    Send ParcelMotel: Orla a PM ( PM = Private Message, not Parcel Motel... :)) and give her as much info as you can to describe the package/contents and she may well be able to identify it for you and ship it on.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

liam100 wrote: »

Be careful with Amazon resellers... you can usually check this by the length of time they say it will take to deliver.

I ordered a thermometer and it said 11-30 days for delivery. Didn't think anything of it. Arrived at PM, picked it up no problems.

The package is actually from Hong Kong(!), with a standard customs label on it and a value of $3. (Its actually €25). So it got through, which is great.

The problem is that there was no indication anywhere on Amazon that this would be shipped from Hong Kong, and no indication on the package that any customs due had been paid. So BE CAREFUL ordering from resellers on Amazon as you dont know where its coming from.

If a package got rejected by Parcelmotel and sent back to the supplier, I'd say you'd be in for a big fight to get your money back. I dont know what would happen in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

i received a text saying that payment didnt go through for 2 packages due to incorrect card details. i was not expecting any packets to come through though
    i am afraid it can be just some publicity from previous sellers

anything i can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

got a parcel in that weights less than 20kg (probably as low as 15kg) but I'm now asked to top up to have it "released"

I knew that you have some magic maths to calculate the weight of something

that has nothing to do with the actual weight of something
    my under 20kg parcel came as over 70kg in your formula

be careful with oversized parcels, you can get stung big time

just rang the office and they said that I should top up by €14 euro
    I don't see how to top up by €14, just €10.50 and €21

having to pay €14 is bad enough, but being forced to top up €21 is not fair

how can I top up by just €14?
    tried ringing your 1890 but it's not taking the call now

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cash4clothes

PM me your PMID

Hi Orla,

My parcel has arrived at your depot but my account hasn't been debited yet. Can you check this for me please? I have Pm'd you my details.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I see a parcel for me arrived at the northern depot at lunchtime, does that mean that it could possibly be forwarded to my own parcel motel for tomorrow Saturday? I. E ate the deliveries to the boxes only done on Monday to Fridays?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Delivery is done on sat too, however u could be lucky and get it tonight.
    Happened me :) delivery at 9.25 pm on a Friday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Great service. Got my parcel no problem....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Parcel Motel: Orla

quilmore wrote: »
    got a parcel in that weights less than 20kg (probably as low as 15kg) but I'm now asked to top up to have it "released"

I knew that you have some magic maths to calculate the weight of something

that has nothing to do with the actual weight of something
    my under 20kg parcel came as over 70kg in your formula

be careful with oversized parcels, you can get stung big time

just rang the office and they said that I should top up by €14 euro
    I don't see how to top up by €14, just €10.50 and €21

having to pay €14 is bad enough, but being forced to top up €21 is not fair

how can I top up by just €14?
    tried ringing your 1890 but it's not taking the call now

If we have a large lightweight item, we have to charge for the space it occupies. This is based on 1 cubic metre of space = 333kgs in weight. We have tried to explain this as clearly as possible on our web site. If you have any suggestions how we can explain it more clearly, please send us your ideas and we will consider them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Parcel Motel: Orla

j4vier wrote: »
    i received a text saying that payment didnt go through for 2 packages due to incorrect card details. i was not expecting any packets to come through though
    i am afraid it can be just some publicity from previous sellers

anything i can do?

PM me your PMID please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cash4clothes

PM me your PMID please.

Hi Orla,

Can you advise my request via PM as well please?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

PM me your PMID please.

all sorted in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Sorry to jump in at the end of a thread with a question that has already been answered but does this service work from the US??? I mean if i use this service will i get away with paying the extra tax and duty??:o

• Registered Users Posts: 43,912 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sorry to jump in at the end of a thread with a question that has already been answered but does this service work from the US??? I mean if i use this service will i get away with paying the extra tax and duty??:o
    Nope, they'll refuse any packages with customs and / or duty due.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Basq wrote: »
    Nope, they'll refuse any packages with customs and / or duty due.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

Any update on the Dundalk site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

May aswell jump on the bandwagon here and sing PM's praises. Great service, ordered a car part from the UK, shipped Thursday to NI, picked up on Saturday evening. Saved about €40 on postage as the seller was charging so much to post to Ireland but only €7 to the UK, happy days, saved a bucket on the car part too. Will use it again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement