Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Thread (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

New site is brilliant on first look.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    New site is brilliant on first look.

'My recent activity' is a huge improvement. So much more info from tracking number etc. Can see when a item has arrived in Belfast and the option to change times from sms notifications.

thumbs up

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

PMed you with my PMID Orla.

Bar not actually getting the SMS it all went smoothly for my first pickup.:)

I did scratch my head a minute when I saw there was only the Parcel Motel logo on the screen (glanced around for some sort of start button:o) then it clicked on me that it was in some sort of idle / sleep mode.

So tapped the screen and voila I was in business.
    Very straight forward entering in my mobile number and the PIN.
    I didn't have any issues using the touch screen that others have reported? (I'm on the short side in regards to height so maybe that helps?)

This will definitely be very useful in regards to shopping on Amazon either for market place sellers or Amazon itself for orders that don't qualify for free shipping to Ireland (shipping can be quite expensive depending on what you've ordered e.g. a video game means base shipping starts at ~£5 I believe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Parcel Motel: Orla

Davy wrote: »
    'My recent activity' is a huge improvement. So much more info from tracking number etc. Can see when a item has arrived in Belfast and the option to change times from sms notifications.

thumbs up

We're so glad you like it :D. We listened to all the suggestions on here and our Facebook and Twitter and we tried to give our users everything they wanted.

We're so glad you like it :D. We listened to all the suggestions on here and our Facebook and Twitter and we tried to give our users everything they wanted.

Did a user suggest adding the logo at the image scan desk? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

flyguy wrote: »
    I think those charges have always been there. An oversized package doesn't automatically mean additional charges. If the dimensional weight and the actual weight are less than 35kgs there is no additional charge (provided you collect it). Maybe your first oversized package fell within these limits.

Possibly alright, but I just don't remember anything about the dimensional weight, but maybe I just overlooked it once I saw about the package being under the weight I knew it was.

Suggestion for new site: Put dimensional weight info above where weights are stated ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Trying to order something on Tesco Direct. It looks up the postcode and doesnt let you modify the address it selects. Did a search here first and found a suggestion to enter the PMID as the last name but when i try that it says it only allows letters. Any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

cormie wrote: »
    Possibly alright, but I just don't remember anything about the dimensional weight, but maybe I just overlooked it once I saw about the package being under the weight I knew it was.

Suggestion for new site: Put dimensional weight info above where weights are stated ;)
    The dimensional weight charges have always been on the PM website and the PM rep has explained how it works on this forum too,you did well to receive a refund

mbroaders wrote: »
    Trying to order something on Tesco Direct. It looks up the postcode and doesnt let you modify the address it selects. Did a search here first and found a suggestion to enter the PMID as the last name but when i try that it says it only allows letters. Any other ideas?

If you go on later in the checkout stage you can edit it further iirc

NATLOR wrote: »
    The dimensional weight charges have always been on the PM website and the PM rep has explained how it works on this forum too,you did well to receive a refund

Yeah, I'd usually read most of what I'm signing up for with these kind of things and don't ever recall giving permission to charge my card for any overweight packages when I was crediting my account. They should make that a bit clearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

On another note is there usually much of a lag time between your parcel been checked in and getting a notification email?

The site is telling me it was checked into the motel at ~22:30 on the 7'th though looking at the e-mail info I only received it in my inbox at ~05:30 on the 8'th. So that was a gap of ~7 hours.

From reading earlier on in the thread I got the impression that SMSs are usually fairly fast?

Champ wrote: »
    On another note is there usually much of a lag time between your parcel been checked in and getting a notification email?

The site is telling me it was checked into the motel at ~22:30 on the 7'th

Its probably 'checked' in to Belfast, then change to 'stored' when put in the local PM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Davy wrote: »
    If you go on later in the checkout stage you can edit it further iirc

Thanks for that but now i am stuck at payment as it looks for a valid uk postcode for a billing address. Anyone able to get around that or am i stuck?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Libera

Loving the new site, big improvement! Very clear, great useability and data provision. Orla, you really have listened to your customers! :)

One thing I noticed is that is hard to get back to the homepage once you are logged in or rather to get to the page with links on pricing, FAQ's etc. Click 'Home' and it just refreshes the account page; clicking 'Contact Us' does take you to a page with the links I mentioned but it not clear, in my opinion. Perhaps another tab is needed in the account page?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Parcel arrived in belfast at 11:30 this morning and it's in my motel now, 5 hours later. And to think i was amazed when the last one was there by 9:30 pm. And its saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭after_shock3000

From their faqs
    what happens if the item I have ordered does not fit into a Parcel Motel locker?

We will notify you by SMS text and Email to let you know if your parcel does not fit into one of the lockers and ask you to contact us to make alternative arrangements, which include onward delivery or an option to collect at our National Distribution Centre in Finglas, or one of our regional Nightline Depots. Additional Charges may apply in these circumstances. Please refer to our prices explanation page for more information.

Looks like they will :)
    Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Didn't realise this was possible, thought it was Finglas only!

Orla, is there any additional charge for picking up an oversized parcel at a regional depot? I read the price explanation page but it only mentions Finglas when it says Under 35kg = no extra charge. The oversized stuff I want to order would only be around 5kg.

Also interested to know this. There's a Nightline depot in Little Island in Cork near me. If a parcel being delivered to me was over size but under 35kgs, could I pick it up there without additional charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Also interested to know this. There's a Nightline depot in Little Island in Cork near me. If a parcel being delivered to me was over size but under 35kgs, could I pick it up there without additional charges?

I went ahead and ordered my (slightly) oversized package yesterday, it arrived in Belfast this morning and was sent to Dublin (as all my packages have been). Tracking says it is loaded on the delivery van now so it must be coming to my local depot here in Sligo.

Hopefully anyway. I doubt I will have to pay anything extra on top of the €3.50 because the package is literally about an inch too big for the biggest locker they offer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

Ok I got my acc open-any extras for boards.ie ? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

Is the maximun value of items covered €100?

There is a camera I want to order but I cannot get it delivered outside the UK. Looking at a saving of over €200 if I can swing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Is the maximun value of items covered €100?

There is a camera I want to order but I cannot get it delivered outside the UK. Looking at a saving of over €200 if I can swing it?

I got my WiiU delivered through Parcel Motel, just means that they won't cover it if it goes missing but that should be looked after by whoever you purchase it from anyway so you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Achilles wrote: »
    I got my WiiU delivered through Parcel Motel, just means that they won't cover it if it goes missing but that should be looked after by whoever you purchase it from anyway so you should be fine.

That would depend on where it goes missing, if it was to go missing by parcel motel I can't see the seller being too willing to cover the costs, after all they would have upheld their part by getting it to PM. Obviously if it went missing before getting to PM then the seller would be on the hook for it.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I would think the trip from parcel motel would be a lot safer than the trip across the water

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

Achilles wrote: »

That would depend on where it goes missing, if it was to go missing by parcel motel I can't see the seller being too willing to cover the costs, after all they would have upheld their part by getting it to PM. Obviously if it went missing before getting to PM then the seller would be on the hook for it.

Obviously i'm talking about parcel motel messing up or loosing it (it happens with the best of companies)

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I would think the trip from parcel motel would be a lot safer than the trip across the water

Ya but the other company will be responsible for the full amount until it arrives at parcel motels door.

Bit silly to not have an option for more cover really. My item is valued at around €600 so while i'm sure it would be perfectly safe, its not really a risk I am willing to take. It would be just my luck it would get damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Functionally the site is better, aesthetically its horrendous tbh..

I went ahead and ordered my (slightly) oversized package yesterday, it arrived in Belfast this morning and was sent to Dublin (as all my packages have been). Tracking says it is loaded on the delivery van now so it must be coming to my local depot here in Sligo.

Hopefully anyway. I doubt I will have to pay anything extra on top of the €3.50 because the package is literally about an inch too big for the biggest locker they offer :(

Status is cancelled now and €3.50 was put back in my account. Location is Parcel Motel Depot.

Guess I'll have to give them a call when I get a chance. Hopefully it wasn't returned to sender.

Status is cancelled now and €3.50 was put back in my account. Location is Parcel Motel Depot.

Guess I'll have to give them a call when I get a chance. Hopefully it wasn't returned to sender.

I had two parcels arrive today.

One was oversized and it appears twice on my history. Latest it left Belfast this afternoon.
    My other one was standard size but now appears as cancelled.

I'm sure it will all work out, never had any issues before

Got it this evening, it ended up fitting in the locker after all and I got a text around 6pm. Thank you to PM for taping around the box, it wasn't packaged very well by the sender!

I guess it was sent from Belfast to Dublin as an oversized package, then they realised it would fit so sent it back to NI. It was re-registered in the system and sent on to me.

Got it this evening, it ended up fitting in the locker after all and I got a text around 6pm. Thank you to PM for taping around the box, it wasn't packaged very well by the sender!

I guess it was sent from Belfast to Dublin as an oversized package, then they realised it would fit so sent it back to NI. It was re-registered in the system and sent on to me.

Fingers crossed that's what happens to me. I'm a bit confused, got two texts saying oversized collect at Finglas but online it says Package loaded on delivery van

cormie wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd usually read most of what I'm signing up for with these kind of things and don't ever recall giving permission to charge my card for any overweight packages when I was crediting my account. They should make that a bit clearer.

Got refund of the €21 so happy with that :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Orla on RTÉ Radio1 now :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement