Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Thread (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

If your item is too large to fit into a Parcel Motel we will check it in to our depot in Finglas and you will receive a text to notify you that it has arrived.

Is Finglas the only depot that can do this?
    Anything near Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Collected my first parcel in Parcel Motel today and the collection itself went smoothly. It was quick and easy and I will def use the service again. However.....
    I hate to complain but the journey to get there did not! I did not realise that there were two Topaz garages on the New Mallow Road so I automatically assumed that it was the one near Dinos Takeaway. To add to the confusion there is a parcel collection thingy already there, and to add to the confusion even more a member of the Topaz staff told me that it was Parcel Motel:eek: I quickly worked out it wasn't and a search on google led me to boards.ie which told me it was near the McDonalds which I would consider to be Commons Road. I just checked the location map on your own site and the location is completely wrong. It is marked as being on the wrong road.
    Not everyone is familar with the Blackpool area so I def think some work needs to be done with giving the correct address and correct locations on your site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Parcel Motel: Orla

gerryo wrote: »
    Is Finglas the only depot that can do this?
    Anything near Galway?

We can send it to our Nightline depot in Oranmore for no extra charge. We have Nightline depots in Belfast, Sligo, Galway, Cork, Waterford, Limerick, Kerry and Dublin. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Parcel Motel: Orla

lindtee wrote: »
    Collected my first parcel in Parcel Motel today and the collection itself went smoothly. It was quick and easy and I will def use the service again. However.....
    I hate to complain but the journey to get there did not! I did not realise that there were two Topaz garages on the New Mallow Road so I automatically assumed that it was the one near Dinos Takeaway. To add to the confusion there is a parcel collection thingy already there, and to add to the confusion even more a member of the Topaz staff told me that it was Parcel Motel:eek: I quickly worked out it wasn't and a search on google led me to boards.ie which told me it was near the McDonalds which I would consider to be Commons Road. I just checked the location map on your own site and the location is completely wrong. It is marked as being on the wrong road.
    Not everyone is familar with the Blackpool area so I def think some work needs to be done with giving the correct address and correct locations on your site.

Sorry you had trouble finding it and thanks for letting us know about our map. We'll get it fixed on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Collected my parcel from Caherdavin Topaz today. Many thanks. Super fast service. Only thing was the box was busted right open. I mean I didn't have to open it to retrieve the contents, I just reached in the hole in the box and picked it out. Luckily the contents were OK but this was the most damaged box I've ever seen in many years of ordering online.
    I'm just wondering where the damage occurred and why it wasn't marked as damaged. It was fed ex's from Netherlands to PM in Newtonabbey. Would ye normally sign for a damaged box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Check the site for the image of the box when it was scanned in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Check the site for the image of the box when it was scanned in

Cheers, didn't realise you could do that.
    The box was busted up in the photo too so it must have arrived like that. Perhaps some over zealous customs official wanted a look inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Fantastic service I must say. A question from me. In the FAQ it says that one of the prohibited items is FOODSTUFFS, PERISHABLE FOOD ARTICLES AND BEVERAGES REQUIRING REFRIGERATION OR OTHER TEMPERATURE OR ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL.

I presume that foodstuffs and beverages are actually OK, but just not if the sender expects them to be refrigerated, maintained at a certain temperature, or delivered within a certain timescale (for perishable goods) ?

I want to send 24 cans of a drink from Amazon that I cannot buy in Ireland. On the face of it, this would appear to be OK. Any chance of a confirmation on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Sorry you had trouble finding it and thanks for letting us know about our map. We'll get it fixed on Monday.

Yeap your maps are not entirely accurate. One of your Galway motels is in Galway bay itself.....

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mp1973

Ordered some stuff from the UK friday morning, they posted it lunch time, arrived up north saturday morning and ready for collection at the motel saturday afternoon. excellent service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭Brian017

I ordered some foodstuff without checking. I just figured since it wasn't illegal/inappropriate/a health hazard that it'd be ok. But now I see from a few posts above me that foodstuffs are prohibited.

Does this mean PM will refuse to take the parcel off the courier? Or will I still get it but will have to take full responsibility in the event that its melted/damaged upon arrival to the PM locker?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ My interpretation of that condition is that it is only relevant if the words after 'REQUIRING' apply.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Must say an absolutely fantastic service - have used five times already (both to NI and Dublin addresses) and have two more packages on the way!

One possible suggestion: are you guys considering a smart phone application? Would be great to be able to top-up/check the status of the package on the go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭Brian017

Their new site is very easy to navigate on mobile devices (at least it is on an iPhone) so I dunno what a dedicated app would add

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭siber

Any update on the Athlone or Tullamore sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

I just bought something on eBay and have only just realised I forgot to put in my Identification Number after my name in the address. How is this going to complicate things for me?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

get back onto the person and get them to change the address to include your pmid.

they may reject the parcel on delivery at Parcel Motel

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

dukedalton wrote: »
    I just bought something on eBay and have only just realised I forgot to put in my Identification Number after my name in the address. How is this going to complicate things for me?!

If you name and mobile is on it, then you should still get it fine but will take a few extra days. You might get a friendly sticker to remind you not to do it again :p

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

We can send it to our Nightline depot in Oranmore for no extra charge. We have Nightline depots in Belfast, Sligo, Galway, Cork, Waterford, Limerick, Kerry and Dublin. :D

Thanks, that's good to know, can't always be sure of parcel sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

Whats the proper address for stuff delivered from uk is it:
    Parcel Motel
    1A McKinney Road
    Mallusk
    Newtownabbey
    Co Antrim
    BT36 4PE

or
    Parcel Motel
    1A McKinney Rd
    Newtownabbey
    BT36 4PE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

devil-80 wrote: »
    Whats the proper address for stuff delivered from uk is it:
    Parcel Motel
    1A McKinney Road
    Mallusk
    Newtownabbey
    Co Antrim
    BT36 4PE

or
    Parcel Motel
    1A McKinney Rd
    Newtownabbey
    BT36 4PE
    You dont need Mallusk on the address but im sure it wold get there regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Been using this myself for ages, delighted with it. Introduced my dad to it over the weekend and did a pickup with him at the Cork Midleton Topaz.

The only problem I have with the pickup is that the touchscreen monitors are notoriously bad. You can sometimes push all you like and it doesn't register. The one at the Cork Midleton Topaz seemed worse than the others, it timed out as we were trying to key in the confirmation code.

These really need to be looked at, or else newer Motels need something better. Whats wrong with a simple screen with the kind of manual buttons like you get on an ATM? The current Motels touchscreens are not quite up to par I'm afraid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mp1973

Been using this myself for ages, delighted with it. Introduced my dad to it over the weekend and did a pickup with him at the Cork Midleton Topaz.

The only problem I have with the pickup is that the touchscreen monitors are notoriously bad. You can sometimes push all you like and it doesn't register. The one at the Cork Midleton Topaz seemed worse than the others, it timed out as we were trying to key in the confirmation code.

These really need to be looked at, or else newer Motels need something better. Whats wrong with a simple screen with the kind of manual buttons like you get on an ATM? The current Motels touchscreens are not quite up to par I'm afraid :(

Try using the screen if rain is falling onto it, it keeps resetting itself to the home screen.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

from much experience, the height and angle of the screen causes parallax errors, if you try pressing what appears to be close to the top of the button rather than the centre, the results are usually better,

Work on the basis of projecting a line out of the front of the screen at 90 degrees to the centre of the button you want, allowing for the angle of the screen, then go up a bit, the results are usually much better.

From a technical aspect, there is way too much white space on the screen, all of the buttons could be a lot larger without causing any issues on the screen, the possible snag is the sensitivity of the touch screen sensors

I would prefer to see much larger icons and buttons, with a lot more separation between the buttons, as that would help alleviate the problem, and it's not a major programming change to do that, as there's no programming change as such, most of the work is with the graphics layout setting.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

any in mayo yet or plans too open some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

from much experience, the height and angle of the screen causes parallax errors, if you try pressing what appears to be close to the top of the button rather than the centre, the results are usually better,

Work on the basis of projecting a line out of the front of the screen at 90 degrees to the centre of the button you want, allowing for the angle of the screen, then go up a bit, the results are usually much better.

From a technical aspect, there is way too much white space on the screen, all of the buttons could be a lot larger without causing any issues on the screen, the possible snag is the sensitivity of the touch screen sensors

I would prefer to see much larger icons and buttons, with a lot more separation between the buttons, as that would help alleviate the problem, and it's not a major programming change to do that, as there's no programming change as such, most of the work is with the graphics layout setting.

I've said it before but a couple of outline stickers on the touchscreen properly aligned would do wonders without being too obtrusive

pmscreen_zps5edd0c6c.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Picking up my first drop today. Amazon shipped it out in three seperate parts though. Annoying. Charged three times by PM. Not their fault in the slightest as they're receiving three different shipments, but yeah. MOANGROANETCETCETC.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I've said it before but a couple of outline stickers on the touchscreen properly aligned would do wonders without being too obtrusive

pmscreen_zps5edd0c6c.gif

It might, but it might also cause as many problems as it solves.

I'd prefer to see more white space between each button, both vertically and horizontally, along with larger fonts for the more visually challenged :D,

Making the border larger would not be an issue either.

The possible problem with sticking anything on the screen is that they attract dirt, and mosture, both of which are not good for touch screens, depending on the technology that's being used. If it's a scanning system that is detecting above the screen as such, no big deal, but if it's using embedded wires in the screen, then the screen needs to be clean.

The ATM style keyboards that someone suggested, well, sorry, forget them, I used to work on ATM's too many years ago, and we had to regularly strip keyboards down to get grit and dust out of the O ring seals that were necessary to keep water out of the insides. We also used to get problems with gurriers filling the keyboards with superglue, which was a PAIN to fix.

Now, here's another thought, which would help some people. How about a Bluetooth interface on the PC that could then communicate with a mobile, which would allow the user to be validated over bluetooth. Might be some security issues to be teased out, but might work.

Not sure if this is an issue for anyone, there's a lot of green in use at the moment, does anyone with Red/green colour blindness issues have any trouble using the Motel screens, I don't have a problem with colour vision, so I can't tell if it's an issue for anyone else.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Kilteragh

I ordered something last week from Boots.com, which doesn't ship to ROI.

The same thing is available in store here for €229

I got it for £85stg with free postage and it arrived today.

Excellent, excellent service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

It might, but it might also cause as many problems as it solves.

I'd prefer to see more white space between each button, both vertically and horizontally, along with larger fonts for the more visually challenged :D,

Making the border larger would not be an issue either.

The possible problem with sticking anything on the screen is that they attract dirt, and mosture, both of which are not good for touch screens, depending on the technology that's being used. If it's a scanning system that is detecting above the screen as such, no big deal, but if it's using embedded wires in the screen, then the screen needs to be clean.

The ATM style keyboards that someone suggested, well, sorry, forget them, I used to work on ATM's too many years ago, and we had to regularly strip keyboards down to get grit and dust out of the O ring seals that were necessary to keep water out of the insides. We also used to get problems with gurriers filling the keyboards with superglue, which was a PAIN to fix.

Now, here's another thought, which would help some people. How about a Bluetooth interface on the PC that could then communicate with a mobile, which would allow the user to be validated over bluetooth. Might be some security issues to be teased out, but might work.

Not sure if this is an issue for anyone, there's a lot of green in use at the moment, does anyone with Red/green colour blindness issues have any trouble using the Motel screens, I don't have a problem with colour vision, so I can't tell if it's an issue for anyone else.

It's a typical resistive touch screen. I also find that on some Parcel Motels the calibration is way off.

Still though very minor complaints for an overall fantastic service.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement