Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Thread (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Amazon
    If parcel motel is used does this mean only 20% is charged vat rather then 23% to Ireland ?

That is correct at the moment,

Where do you find the address they give you at the start when you register?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Parcel Motel: Orla

Where do you find the address they give you at the start when you register?

You'll find the 2 addresses here http://www.parcelmotel.com/faqs.html

Use the Antrim address if you're shopping on a UK site that offers free or reduced UK delivery. Happy Shopping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I have received a number of packages, bought from Amazon and e-Bay sellers since the service began. All worked brilliantly from the ParcelMotel perspective. Excellent service.

I have now encountered a problem with an Amazon seller, from whom I received products that must be returned. However, because the items were bought at a zero postage cost for delivery in UK, the seller will not refund postage which is approx €20 from Ireland back to UK.

Is there any way, the ParcelMotel network can be used for such returns?

Just wondering- any views from ParcelMotel folks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

How does shipping to these work? For example, if I want to avail of free UK delivery from online shopping, I put in a parcel motel Belfast address... then what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Then you wait until you get a text from Parcel Motel telling you that your parcel is in the storage unit you chose on sign up. If it's one of your free uses from Parcel Motel you wont be charged and if it's not Parcel Motel will debit €3.50 (I think) from your account. Then you just bring your pin to the storage unit, type it in and the locker pops open.

Good idea to have a thread about Parcel Motel here so that people know it exists! It's very handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Ah that's cool, so they automatically redirect it to a location of my choosing. Nice one.

One more question though - what happens if the delivery has to be signed for?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

They sign for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Amazon
    If parcel motel is used does this mean only 20% is charged vat rather then 23% to Ireland ?
    Some items might be zero VAT too, like sports supplements.

The only upside of amazon charging 23% rather than 20% (i.e. not using PM) is that the 23% goes to the Irish government. Any business in the EU doing over €35,000+ of sales per annum to here is obliged to register for Irish VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

This post has been deleted.

It is not their 'problem', but it is an 'opportunity' for them to develop business in offering the service in the other direction.

They collect the parcel from the parcel motel you leave it in, and deliver it to whereever you want it to go to.

I would imagine it would cost more than 3.50 per parcel though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Parcel Motel: Orla

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Just wondering- any views from ParcelMotel folks?

We are currently developing a drop off/returns solution for Parcel Motel customers to send returns to retailers via their chosen Parcel Motel. We'll notify customers when the option is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

We are currently developing a drop off/returns solution for Parcel Motel customers to send returns to retailers via their chosen Parcel Motel. We'll notify customers when the option is available.

That will really round off the service. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread moved from Fashion & Appearance and merged with mega Parcel Motel thread

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

dahamsta wrote: »
    I think you'll just have to bite your tongue and take the hit, I can't think of an alternative and it isn't really down to them. I'd definitely get in touch with Parcel Motel about it though, perhaps they might organise a discount with Nightline as a goodwill gesture.

Another concern for me is that if items are received to your PMID without having been ordered, they will accepted and billed as normal. This could easily happen if a vendor decides to send a free sample or an offer in the post. I'm guessing you can work around this by just keeping your balance below €3.50, but it'd be nice to have a system whereby you can book in an expected delivery, or authorise deliveries selectively.

I find the best way to deal with making sure you dont receive junk mail is to E mail or message any seller requesting they send nothing else to PM address as you are charged per delivery.its worked nicely so far for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Just spotted some PM lockers at Tesco Extra in Drogheda. Any idea when these will go live or when we can choose this as the preferred location on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Had my first Parcel Motel experience today when I collected some goods.

I love you guys! What a great service!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭postmanpat78

marc1184 when those lockers go live you can choose them from a drop down menu in your account or ones that are nearer you check your account every so often,of parcelmotel twitter they should tell you when those lockers go live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Last I heard Ballina or Castlebar end of March, I'm still waiting on some news regarding Wexford town.

I seen a Parcel Motel on the back of a truck on the way into Castlebar this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I stupidly ordered two items from the UK though my NI PM address today forgetting that I am away next week and won't be back in time to collect them from my local PM in Dublin before the 48 hour cut-off. Is there any way I can have PM hold the items for me until the start of the following week?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

00112984 wrote: »
    I stupidly ordered two items from the UK though my NI PM address today forgetting that I am away next week and won't be back in time to collect them from my local PM in Dublin before the 48 hour cut-off. Is there any way I can have PM hold the items for me until the start of the following week?

Can you cancel your order ASAP, then reorder for a time when you will be around?

Can you cancel your order ASAP, then reorder for a time when you will be around?

No, they were sale items so I had to buy this week. Completely forgot I was going away :o

Spotted that there is a €3.50 charge for each 48hr stay in PM but if they arrive early in the week, I don't want to have to face 2 x €3.50 each 48 hours for 6 or 8 days. Wouldn't mind paying a charge if they could be held at the depot and scheduled for delivery a week later, though I know that's unlikely.

I might sweet talk someone into collecting it for me in return for cake. That usually works.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

No, they were sale items so I had to buy this week. Completely forgot I was going away :o

Damn that sucks, but I'd be surprised if the cake-bait failed so you should be ok :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

statto25 wrote: »
    I seen a Parcel Motel on the back of a truck on the way into Castlebar this morning.

ill have a scout around and see if i can see it later.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Spotted that there is a €3.50 charge for each 48hr stay in PM but if they arrive early in the week, I don't want to have to face 2 x €3.50 each 48 hours for 6 or 8 days. Wouldn't mind paying a charge if they could be held at the depot and scheduled for delivery a week later, though I know that's unlikely.

I might sweet talk someone into collecting it for me in return for cake. That usually works.

Cake you say?? Where is this ParcelMotel that you speak of ? I could collect it for cake!!!

This sweet talking lark is easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭qwas75

Would be really nice if Parcel Motel had a "UK mainland" address too. So many items can be delivered only to mainland addresses in UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

+1 for that. Cheaper too in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

qwas75 wrote: »
    So many items can be delivered only to mainland addresses in UK.
    dahamsta wrote: »
    +1 for that. Cheaper too in many cases.
    Usually cheaper since its couriers. Royal mail charge the same if mail is going to mainland UK or NI. Obviously it is likely to cost more to get it to NI, but Royal Mail have decided to take the hit on this, they presumably increase all prices across the board to cover it. If I was in mainland UK and sent nothing to NI I would be pissed off at this, since I am being charged more to cover the NI guys sweet deal.

So the couriers do not have to take this hit, they can say we strictly deal with mainland and they can compete very well with royal mails prices which are artificially high.

Parcel motel & its users here are really taking advantage of royal mail's policy, royal mail could possibly by making a loss on some items going to NI, just like the ESB here might make a loss supplying to some remote area. If every order from the UK went through PM you would see royal mail having to increase prices to cover the increase.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Poor Royal Mail being taken advantage of by the Oirish. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement