Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[noob]ASP.NET hosting service for html site

Options
  • 11-07-2012 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭

I'm presently learning web applications design and specifically ASP.NET MVC 3 (I use it in work).

In my free time I'd like to get a website up and running. I want to start off with the very basics so basically just a static site with html and css.

Later on I'd like to make the site dynamic by putting in some javascript and finally I'd like to build some applications.

If I choose an ASP.NET 4.0 hosting service site from the very beginning can I deploy basic .html files or would they be looking for some sort of deployment package (whatever Visual Studio produces)?

Would I be better off choosing a more basid hosting service initially and migrating when I want to start building applications?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

(note: boards doesn't allow discussion of specific hosting companies)

Some hosting companies do offer really basic options that just do flat HTML, but most will have you choose either Windows or UNIX (usually Linux these days) and that comes with databases etc. Windows hosting usually runs Windows Server 2003 or 2008 and IIS 6 or 7. These come with support for ASP.NET built in, and can host simple flat HTML sites also.

I'd just start out on a basic Windows hosting package if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I have purchased a .ie domain. Is there usually restrictions about you an host these or is a simple matter to swap these around?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I have purchased a .ie domain. Is there usually restrictions about you an host these or is a simple matter to swap these around?

As long as you don't break the law you can host whatever you want using whatever domain name you have ..

Advertisement