Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Tullamore

• 11-07-2012 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all,

It looks as though I will be moving to Tullamore and I was just wondering if anyone could offer some advice on where to live (or where to avoid) and any advice about the town that might be useful to a newbie.

I will be renting a room so I will be limited as to choice in that regard. I'll be working in the town so I want to stay pretty central, but in a quiet enough area.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caitmb

depends if you drive or not. Its small enough town but any walk is long if carrying a few bags!!

Eiscir meadows/Norbury woods grand,20 mins ish walk to town,
    Chancery Park seems nice,close to tesco and 15 mins ish to town.
    Clonminch woods,20 mins ish to town.

Just a few of many estates and the walking estimates are just that....estimates,cos I havent walked any of those roads in years!!

Best of luck and I hope you dont end up with any nut job housemates.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭niceview

Yeah I'll be driving. Thanks for the info, i'll keep it in mind. Yeah you and me both hoping I don't end up with nut jobs housemates!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

caitmb wrote: »
    depends if you drive or not. Its small enough town but any walk is long if carrying a few bags!!

Eiscir meadows/Norbury woods grand,20 mins ish walk to town,
    Chancery Park seems nice,close to tesco and 15 mins ish to town.
    Clonminch woods,20 mins ish to town.

Just a few of many estates and the walking estimates are just that....estimates,cos I havent walked any of those roads in years!!

Best of luck and I hope you dont end up with any nut job housemates.....

Eiscir Meadows and Norbury Woods are miles out. Even the entrance to both estates is a long walk to the Kilbeggan Bridge. Never mind walking then into town itself or, at the other end, walking to your house on a wet winer's day from the top of the estate entrance. Ok, not literally miles but way further than anyone would enjoy walking on have-to' basis. More Celtic Tiger outlier estate madness. To be honest, none of the estates are particularly close, apart from Hophill and older places like Moylena, Rahan Rd etc. Chancery park is handy for Tesco, but its worth your driving around to get a feel for it. Then think through your requirements and see if you fancy the walks involved. Winter days especially. I lived beyond the town limits for over 30 years and most of the modern estates are a fair walk into town; excluding shopping and whatever else you might carry.

Welcome to Tullamore though. Nicest town in Ireland. Genuinely. A lovely place to live.

ps Harbour Walk and Harbour Drive are 2 of the most central estates, just north of the canal and East of O'Connor Park. Also v handy for the bypass which is just out beyond them. A shor stroll into the town centre from there and always rooms to let in particularly Harbour Walk, one of the 1st Celtic Tiger estates in Tullamore. 1999 approx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭niceview

Thanks Ri Rua for the info. Unfortunately, there isn't a huge amount of options for house shares, but I' sure I will et oeting handy. Tullamore doesn't seem too big so I should be all right.

I'm looking forward to moving up! It looks a nice place

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

Whitehall estate. By far the nicest estate in tullamore. Beautifully maintained and a 15 minute walk from town. Houses are big and spacious. Was prone to flooding due to a blockage in the tullamore river but this has been sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

superblu wrote: »
    Whitehall estate. By far the nicest estate in tullamore. Beautifully maintained and a 15 minute walk from town. Houses are big and spacious. Was prone to flooding due to a blockage in the tullamore river but this has been sorted.

Would also recommend Whitehall (on the Daingean Road).

Advertisement