Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The next facebook

Options
  • 11-07-2012 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

well..not exactly the next facebook or twitter but I have an idea for a website that I know for a fact would be BIG.
    My problem is I dont know how to make a website and I dont trust going to a company and getting them to make it as they would steal the idea or some other programmer would make the site before I got the chance!

Its one of those things that just hit me while I was walking and ran home to google it and not a single person has a site for the service I had in mind!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Going to take your post at face value here:

Check out http://news.ycombinator.com. Keep on it for a few week as and it'll give you some idea about the world of web start ups.

Within the startup community, the prevalent opinion is that ideas are worth very little. What matters is how you execute them.

Perhaps you could learn to build what is in your head by yourself to make a prototype? Or employ someone to make it for you? (edit: I see you are paranoid about losing your idea this way. Perhaps there are legal ways to protect yourself?)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭billybunty

Check out http://news.ycombinator.com. Keep on it for a few week as and it'll give you some idea about the world of web start ups.

Within the startup community, the prevalent opinion is that ideas are worth very little. What matters is how you execute them.

Perhaps you could learn to build what is in your head by yourself to make a prototype? Or employ someone to make it for you? (edit: I see you are paranoid about losing your idea this way. Perhaps there are legal ways to protect yourself?)
    Hi, do you
    Mind explaining briefly if you have the time what ycominator is. Just looked & it doesnt make sense. Dont worry if you dont have time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

billybunty wrote: »
    Hi, do you
    Mind explaining briefly if you have the time what ycominator is. Just looked & it doesnt make sense. Dont worry if you dont have time

Just went on to the homepage http://ycombinator.com/ and it looks like a digital incubator but the link provided was just news on launches, developments and deaths in the digital arena.

Truckle is right though, with 1000s of start-up all vying to be the next Facebook it's all about how you do it as opposed to what your site does.

Keep thinking about it OP, but if you want to see if it's going to work or not you are going to have to do it. Do it, review it, change it....

Good luck to you OP, don't let the doubters get you down! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

billybunty wrote: »
    Hi, do you

It's a bit like a reddit for links to web start up related content on the web. It's populated by web hackers and entrepreneurs. The comment threads on the links are often excellent. Some of the stuff is only relevant to techies (links to cool programming libraries for example), some of the stuff is just of general interest (like content about the Higgs Boson news recently), but a lot of the stuff is written by people who are running their own web startups.

ycombinator itself is a startup incubator but its the news site i was pointing you towards.

Good luck to you OP, don't let the doubters get you down! :p

Yep! I hope you get to make it happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

That's a good point, facebook didn't really do anything massively different to MySpace or bebo before them. But they had a nicer interface and better marketing: forced exclusivity through college email addresses, appealing to an older crowd etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement