Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who you know

• 11-07-2012 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Is getting a job now just as much about "who you know"" and not "what you know" A friend of mine met a new girl and they started going out and her mother works in the hse and she got him a job. I know of other cases too like father works for the council then son gets a job. If i had applied for both them jobs not a chance would i have even got a response

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Yes you are right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Welcome to Ireland!!

Is this your first time visiting here?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

risteard7 wrote: »
    Is getting a job now just as much about "who you know"" and not "what you know" A friend of mine met a new girl and they started going out and her mother works in the hse and she got him a job. I know of other cases too like father works for the council then son gets a job. If i had applied for both them jobs not a chance would i have even got a response

Well you didn't apply, so how do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Never thought I'd be posting this :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

yes, it's true, I know one company where the boss hired his idiot son to do a job most would kill for, and yer man is not even grateful for the job. In the bosses defence, my wife made me hire him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

token101 wrote: »
    Well you didn't apply, so how do you know?
    They werent advertised the just were given jobs. cmon you know what i mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I don't think it's a case of who you know. I left my job (which I got on merit, I knew nobody there) 2 weeks ago.

Yesterday I got a call from somewhere I sent a CV to. Today I started working there. I knew absolutely nobody involved.

There's gonna be nepotism in some jobs, sure. It's a rampant thing. But there are plenty of people earning their jobs through pure merit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If you know the right people you can even get two interest only mortgages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Alot of life is who you know sadly.

Some jobs are even closed shop sure. Take getting an apprenticeship for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Nothing's changed it's always been like this. There is nothing wrong with doing a favour for someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

My Dad owns half of this site and it's sister sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

hmm is it a coincidence both jobs u mentioned were public service....? :rolleyes:

Above poster (LyndaMcL) im assuming u were and are working in the private sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭volvoman480

Where To wrote: »
    Never thought I'd be posting this :pac:

Aaaaaaaaah, Kylie....

Back in the days when she was hot....

What's the question again OP??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭thinks too much

got a job in my dads company when i was younger and promply got sacked by my dad for being useless..,,he was not wrong about that...happily working in the public sector now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

They werent advertised the just were given jobs. cmon you know what i mean.

Public jobs are always advertised, it's illegal not to. So either you didn't look or they broke the law? I'd guess the former. If you applied and were rejected, I'd have sympathy. But you didn't, so you've no comeback. As for private companies, well they can hire anyone they damn well please because it's their company.

Public jobs are always advertised, it's illegal not to. So either you didn't look or they broke the law? I'd guess the former. If you applied and were rejected, I'd have sympathy. But you didn't, so you've no comeback. As for private companies, well they can hire anyone they damn well please because it's their company.

To be honest though its easy to advertise a job and still give it to a mate/family member/acquaintance. For this reason I'm not surprised both jobs mentioned in the original post seem to be public sector jobs... It is somewhat of a closed shop i would say, more-so probably for entry level jobs I suppose.

Proving proper procedure is followed in the selection process is much more difficult, an as far as I know nothing can be/is done unless an applicant makes a complaint or questions the selection process an the selection made.

In many cases people don't bother as they simply 'didn't get the job'.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Agree with OP, a lot of people I know that have jobs got them through contacts, rather than experience/skills.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

My Dad owns half of this site and it's sister sites.

Bet he makes a bomb on the sister sites - they rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

What's the question again OP??

The OP is unsure of what a tracker mortgage is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Contacts are good to have in ANY profession.
    It's not just in Ireland that this is common either by the way.
    You don't think the irish(and indeed other) immigrants who went abroad in the 80's didnt have people who helped them get settled/a job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

This is lies, and if it is not report it!
    You wont report it though because it is lies, so please take your oh so thinly veiled swipe at the public sector and **** off!

got a job in my dads company when i was younger and promply got sacked by my dad for being useless..,,he was not wrong about that...happily working in the public sector now

Two liars in one thread by page 2 good stuff.

BTW I dont doubt for one second you are useless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

People who b!tch about jobs saying 'it's who you know' just don't know anyone worth knowing in that respect.

I actually don't know anyone worth knowing job wise, but I wouldn't hesitate to take a well paid position because of that fact and I doubt you wouldn't care either OP if the opportunity arose.

Edit: I wouldn't accept a job I was grossly unqualified for though.

Btw I'm not taking a stab at anyone who works in the public sector, plenty and hopefully the majority of people who work there got there through genuine means.

I think its run very badly and I'm not blaming any of the employees for that or for taking advantage of that fact.

Equally if I needed a job and had such an opportunity through someone i know of course i would take it!

Fact is, that it actually does happen. Whether its right or wrong, you have to play the game and not get played :cool:

dorkacle wrote: »
    Btw I'm not taking a stab at anyone who works in the public sector, plenty and hopefully the majority of people who work there got there through genuine means.

I think its run very badly and I'm not blaming any of the employees for that or for taking advantage of that fact.

Equally if I needed a job and had such an opportunity through someone i know of course i would take it!

Fact is, that it actually does happen. Whether its right or wrong, you have to play the game and not get played :cool:
    You think "who you know" is a public sector thing only? Not at all. Works all over the place.......

Liar liar pants on fire!

kippy wrote: »
    You think "who you know" is a public sector thing only? Not at all. Works all over the place.......

No not at all. Happens throughout the private sector too, of course it does. Smaller organisations and lower skilled jobs are more likely to follow such practice though.

It really does depend on the organisation as well though, most multinationals would have strict rules and guidelines to be followed throughout the recruitment and selection process as they want to try and ensure they get the best of the best.

You would imagine the people running the state would follow a similar structure in all areas? Again not trying insult anyone as there are plenty of well skilled and competent people in the public sector who deserve their jobs through their own merit! :)

No not at all. Happens throughout the private sector too, of course it does. Smaller organisations and lower skilled jobs are more likely to follow such practice though.

It really does depend on the organisation as well though, most multinationals would have strict rules and guidelines to be followed throughout the recruitment and selection process as they want to try and ensure they get the best of the best.

You would imagine the people running the state would follow a similar structure in all areas? Again not trying insult anyone as there are plenty of well skilled and competent people in the public sector who deserve their jobs through their own merit! :)
    Quite the opposite, many large private sector organisations promote the "who you know" culture by offering their employees a bonus if they can recommend a new hire to them, saving the company lots of cash in recruitment agency fees.......
    I've personally gotten one of these bonus' in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

It makes more sense in some situations. If a company is hiring and they ask someone they trust if they can recommend somebody for the job, it'll save them a lot of time in the long run.
    Most companies will do interviews based on general applications though and just include inside recommendations in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Well, my mates dad is a doctor in the HSE and now my mate got a job as some kind of surgeon. He has never even been to college.

He told me down the pub the other night so it must be true.

kippy wrote: »
    Quite the opposite, many large private sector organisations promote the "who you know" culture by offering their employees a bonus if they can recommend a new hire to them, saving the company lots of cash in recruitment agency fees.......
    I've personally gotten one of these bonus' in the past.

This is usually in the case of a relatively high skilled job though no?
    So your recommending someone with a degree etc. where the organisation has some guarantee that the person is competent and you are saving them the trouble of looking for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Thanked for being quality old school trolling. Ya see there youngling trolls ??!?! This is how its done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

They can advertise the job, go through the applications and interviews and still give it to a friend or relative. It's called Jobbery-

This is usually in the case of a relatively high skilled job though no?
    So your recommending someone with a degree etc. where the organisation has some guarantee that the person is competent and you are saving them the trouble of looking for them.

Not always, actually the time I was involved in this (in the private sector) it was far from a "relatively" high skilled job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

MarkHitide wrote: »
    They can advertise the job, go through the applications and interviews and still give it to a friend or relative. It's called Jobbery-

That's not how public jobs work, you are usually on a list for a long time after doing the aptitude test but yes I'm sure you can see where someone is on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

Yep. Main two ways to get a job these days are to have loads of previous experience or to know someone. It seems impossible to get experience though unless you know someone.. so I guess that's just the way to get jobs these days..

I tried so many places for a job (didn't have previous experience) and when I eventually got one, it was thanks to my relative who also works there. I'm a total hypocrite for working there 'cause I hate how most people only get jobs when they know someone, regardless of whether or not there is a more suitable candidate for the job. Oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭eaglebhoy

Yup - Ireland = It's Who you know (and suck up to) not What you know in too many places !

Advertisement