Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban review

Options
  • 11-07-2012 10:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was banned from Gigs & Events for three months by lordgoat.

The offending comment came about in a discussion about the incidences of violence in the Phoenix Park last Saturday, compared to the other nights.

The comment was -

"Dance music is awful tripe. The best piece of evidence is the fact that the majority of people can't enjoy it without synthetic chemical enhancement to increase dopamine in their brain. It's like saying to a chef," I cant eat this meal unless I've had 10 vodkas and am off my head, it's that bad. "

It is little wonder it appeals to scumbags "

This was against the forum charter. I had no forewarning that I was acting out of order. Can my ban be reviewed, 3 months is a long time. I have contributed to this section in the past without issue, most recently on Snow Patrol thread and also a few months ago on the Guns n Roses thread. In both of those other threads, I criticised aspects of each bands performance. No-one there took issue with any of my comments. I did not realise commenting negatively on a whole music genre was not allowed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Hi Motorist,
    Per Step 1 of the diagram at the top of the page, have you PMed the moderator in question to discuss the ban?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Reading through the original message he sent I noticed this "

If you wish to appeal this, please so straight to the DRP. I will not be discussing it with you."

I suppose that means step 1 is bypassed.

Okay, thanks for that. I will investigate this further.

Okay, I have reviewed the situation. The first thing I would take issue with is your posting style in general. Where you state
    I have contributed to this section in the past without issue, most recently on Snow Patrol thread and also a few months ago on the Guns n Roses thread.

I see posts like this description of Snow Patrol and Florence and the Machine:
    Two mediocre soft indie pop/rock bands, with a repertoire of boring music that all sounds the same. Florence is some hippy

and describing Radiohead as a borefest.

Discussions forums by their nature contain people with differing opinions and, let's be honest, would be boring if everyone agreed with everyone else but there has to be a bit of give and take. Offering potentially-inflammatory comments without justification or a weak explanation of "It's my opinion" will just tend to provoke other users and as such is frowned upon. If you don't like Snow Patrol for example then elaborate on why.

The other aspect of the ban is that the thread title was changed on at 15:51 on 8th July 2012 instructing anyone posting from then on to read this. You have at least ten subsequent posts (I have only checked page six of the thread), quite a few of which went against that warning.

In summary then, prior to the ban you posted a few potentially-inflammatory comments in different threads. You then got banned for ignoring an on-thread warning by a moderator at least ten times and continued with an abrasive and argumentative series of posts in a thread that was already producing far more than its fair share of work for the moderators.

I believe some form of censure is necessary however it is your first offence in the Music category. Taking that into account, it is my recommendation that the ban be reduced to a one week ban but with a caveat that you obey moderator instructions when they are given in future and that you justify your opinions better so as to not appear to be deliberately winding people up.

If that is acceptable then I will lift your ban on July 18th otherwise you can request an admin review of this situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Malice wrote: »
    Okay, I have reviewed the situation. The first thing I would take issue with is your posting style in general. Where you state

I see posts like this description of Snow Patrol and Florence and the Machine:

and describing Radiohead as a borefest.

Discussions forums by their nature contain people with differing opinions and, let's be honest, would be boring if everyone agreed with everyone else but there has to be a bit of give and take. Offering potentially-inflammatory comments without justification or a weak explanation of "It's my opinion" will just tend to provoke other users and as such is frowned upon. If you don't like Snow Patrol for example then elaborate on why.

The other aspect of the ban is that the thread title was changed on at 15:51 on 8th July 2012 instructing anyone posting from then on to read this. You have at least ten subsequent posts (I have only checked page six of the thread), quite a few of which went against that warning.

In summary then, prior to the ban you posted a few potentially-inflammatory comments in different threads. You then got banned for ignoring an on-thread warning by a moderator at least ten times and continued with an abrasive and argumentative series of posts in a thread that was already producing far more than its fair share of work for the moderators.

I believe some form of censure is necessary however it is your first offence in the Music category. Taking that into account, it is my recommendation that the ban be reduced to a one week ban but with a caveat that you obey moderator instructions when they are given in future and that you justify your opinions better so as to not appear to be deliberately winding people up.

If that is acceptable then I will lift your ban on July 18th otherwise you can request an admin review of this situation.

I would be happy with the reduced ban. I did not see the mod warning, I joined the thread late into it (I think around page 16 from memory) but will keep a better eye out for them.

I have very particular reasons for my opinions and have no problem with elaborating on them.

Thanks for taking the time to review.

• Advertisement

The ban has been lifted. I guess this thread can be closed now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement