Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our New Man - Good Luck AVB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Good luck to him is right,trying to do better than Harry Redknapp is not going to be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Good luck to him, but as tippspur said he has a job ahead of him to finish in the top 4 . I hope things start well and he gets time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Likeable character, gives off a very positive attitude. Sounds like he has barbed wire stuck in his throat when he speaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

He is likable, but he needs to draw a line under his time at Chelsea - see here. Headline is "AVB is still bitter over Chelsea dismissal".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Good luck to the fella!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Good luck to AVB. Looks like he has the backing of the club and, most importantly, Daniel Levy.
    I'm very much looking forward to this new era!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Felt obliged to bump this thread, he's getting a fair share of criticism already but personally I love the guys enthusiasm ;) COYS!
    tumblr_m8yx2e6JlW1qizx72o2_250.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

May there be many more celebrations like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Felt obliged to bump this thread, he's getting a fair share of criticism already but personally I love the guys enthusiasm ;) COYS!
    tumblr_m8yx2e6JlW1qizx72o2_250.gif

Looks a Portuguese Martin O'Neill :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

+1

There will always be people moaning and, especially with ammo such as AVB's stint at Chelsea, people will be critical.

Though I'm happy to have a manager the chairman is willing to support. I always felt that Harry was viewed as somewhat of a stop-gap. Though, in AVB, I feel there is a sense of harmony. Hopefully the results will support this belief.

COYS!

Pretty interesting articles on systems football... I guess Levy believes AVB can bring this style of play to Tottenham hence the small pitches and small goals at Chigwell http://www.eplindex.com/18249/systems-football-midfield-part-iv-tiki-taka-totaalvoetbal.html

Begin with the very simple: by creating a smaller zone (10 x 10m) and create two teams of four. Inform them that they are to make five passes to score one goal – they’ll realise it will be difficult to pass fluently but easier to tackle. Afterwards sit the players down and simply inform them that it was only so difficult to pass as the team without possession worked together as a compact team. The lesson here is that on a bigger pitch if they are playing in smaller compact zones, when they lose the ball they can win it back easily as they are already in perfect positioning to press together as a team.

This is a simple introduction to the art of pressing and at the same time a simple introduction in the art of keeping the ball in smaller compact zones. You can then tick off the very basic introduction to the concept of zones, the concept of pressing and the concept of passing in compact areas. They’ll get it, it’s simple yet effective. And it’s the players ‘getting it’ that is of utmost importance; it needs to become their second nature.

Slowly you can introduce the philosophy to them and at one point you’ll even need to present ideas to them without a football field underneath their feet.

Good article re. boos and knee jerks here...
    http://www.tothelaneandback.com/spurs/2012/9/3/are-you-saying-boo-or-booourns.html?

Fair enough people want to see instant results based on our good league position last year but the manager should be given some time.. Our fans who want to oust the manager already play straight into the hands of our mocking/gloating rivals and the 'we love Harry' media..

"AVB was the most coveted manager in Europe twelve months ago"

COYS!

I admit the results and performances have been below par but heres a good article providing in depth analysis on what AVB is trying to do...
    http://www.spursfanatic.com/player-analysis/positive-progression-andre-villas-boas/

Makes sense;)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

I admit the results and performances have been below par but heres a good article providing in depth analysis on what AVB is trying to do...
    http://www.spursfanatic.com/player-analysis/positive-progression-andre-villas-boas/

Makes sense;)

Good article but full of flaws.

1 The possession stat proves nothing as I think that most of our possession is in our own half. Whats the point of keeping hold of the ball in your own half at 0-0 at home v WBA and Norwich.
    2 Same goes for the accuracy stat.
    3 Where do these figures come from? I was at the game v Norwich and there is no way we created 12 chances.
    4 Balanced attack? So we went from 38% left 32 right and 30 in the middle to 36% right 32 left and 31 in the middle.
    Eh that just shows we are attacking more on the right under AVB that a balanced attack

I agree with most of the rest of the article.
    The pressing could work .
    Dembele made a difference
    Vertonghen looks class
    And Dempsey could do the business.

Still early days yet but no real signs ofa an AVB revolution.

That's fair enough I was just offering it up as food for thought.

1. Think the possession stat means that the team are doing what AVB wants them to do but we're just lacking the man in the middle to pull the strings i.e. Dembele
    2. Means you keep the ball i.e. the other team must chase after you and get tired
    3. BBC saying we had 15 shots v Norwich, 9 on target
    4. Strange one alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Lots of pressure being put on dembele lads

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

That is a great article with many valid points.
    I was sad when Harry went as we played some great stuff while he was in charge, but it is out with the old and in with the new.
    I can now understand what AVB is trying to achieve.
    I hope the players will learn to adapt to his system and hope we will have enough players, allowing for injuries, to complete the campaign using this style.
    The players will be key to AVB's success. If they don't adapt there will be consequences!
    I do wonder about his man management skills though.
    I think Stefen Freund was appointed as a feel good factor\go between AVB and the squad.
    If he loses the dressing room, he is done for!
    In saying that, I think he will succeed and the "two Dems", Siggy, Ades, Bale and Lennon will do us proud.

Let's keep faith and go and smash Reading!

COYS

Advertisement