Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JSA Signing on day - clash with holidays planned

• 11-07-2012 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I applied for JSA three weeks ago and only found out today my signing on day (Wednesday) is on a day which I have booked a few days away in Ireland - can't afford a foreign holiday! I'm not back until Friday evening so I'm sure the office would be closed before I would be back home.

What should I do? Are they likely to cut my payment if I tell them in advance I'm not around those days? I've heard that you if you miss your signing on day you have to sign on daily in my office.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

They will cut your payment I believe. They deduct the days you're missing. So you'll probably miss at most one payment.

All you do is go down to the receptionst (ASAP ideally) explain you're heading on a holiday, you fill in a form and I forget what happens. I dunno if they don't pay you for the days you missed or not. But no, once you explain and fill in the form your money in the long term will not be affected.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

You may receive Jobseeker's Benefit or Jobseeker's Allowance for two weeks holidays (i.e. 12 days excluding Sundays) in any calendar year. These holidays may be taken abroad.
    If you intend going on holidays abroad, you should inform the Local Office two weeks in advance of your departure and complete form UP 30. All holiday payments will be made retrospectively when you return. If you go on holiday for longer than two weeks, you may be paid in respect of the first two weeks, but will not receive payment for any period abroad in excess of this.

From here http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/jajbfaq.aspx#q22

Just ignore the word abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

I also have a similar query. I'm going on holidays for two and a half weeks and I've told my local office about it so my payments are going to be stalled for two weeks. However, I won't get money for the extra half week as you're only allowed two weeks away. This totals to four days away that I won't get paid for. Can anyone tell me will I still receive the money for the other days out of that week, or is this like the casual workers 3 day principle where if you work more than three days you get nothing that week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

augusta24 wrote: »
    I also have a similar query. I'm going on holidays for two and a half weeks and I've told my local office about it so my payments are going to be stalled for two weeks. However, I won't get money for the extra half week as you're only allowed two weeks away. This totals to four days away that I won't get paid for. Can anyone tell me will I still receive the money for the other days out of that week, or is this like the casual workers 3 day principle where if you work more than three days you get nothing that week.

You will be paid for 12 days and not for the extra four days. You will receive money for the other days of the week as you will be available and looking for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fintan109

Thanks for your replies.

Its missing my sign-on date that I'm most worried about because some people in my office who missed their sign on day were then told to sign on daily for a certain period of time - I want to avoid having to do that. I'm hoping to race back in time to collect my money int he Post Office Friday evening but incase I'm not back before 5.30pm Friday how long is the money held in the post office for you? Could I go in Saturday morning to collect it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

fintan109 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies.

Its missing my sign-on date that I'm most worried about because some people in my office who missed their sign on day were then told to sign on daily for a certain period of time - I want to avoid having to do that. I'm hoping to race back in time to collect my money int he Post Office Friday evening but incase I'm not back before 5.30pm Friday how long is the money held in the post office for you? Could I go in Saturday morning to collect it??

You go to your sw office and fill out up30 (holiday form) if you are away for your signing day then this will be excused and you will be given you next signing day. You sw office should be able to tell you when to expect your money in the post office after you have been on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

Am I reading this correctly ? ---- Is it true that you get paid benefits while you are on "Holidays". Now, I wonder why I continue to work, paying more than 50% of my money to the Government. I'd be better off giving up the job which takes up 50 hours of my week, sign on and hang around at home instead. On top of that, I can look forward to another "holiday" paid for by the taxpayer. Nice number if you can get it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Redtop wrote: »
    Am I reading this correctly ? ---- Is it true that you get paid benefits while you are on "Holidays". Now, I wonder why I continue to work, paying more than 50% of my money to the Government. I'd be better off giving up the job which takes up 50 hours of my week, sign on and hang around at home instead. On top of that, I can look forward to another "holiday" paid for by the taxpayer. Nice number if you can get it !

Are people on JSA not entitled to a holiday? Within their own country?

You do not know the OPs circumstance, this holiday could have been booked a year in advance whilst he/she was in gainful employment....

Be thankful you have a job, a lot of people are not as lucky as you, and in a lot of cases, is genuinely not their fault as they were layed off etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

Many tax paying workers cannot afford a holiday any more, so it's hard to believe that those on JSA would be in a better position to take a holiday that's paid for by those same taxpayers. Sorry, but if I was missfortunate enough to lose my job, I'd be embarrassed to take a holiday and continue to accept JSA. I'd be using the holiday time to look for work. Have some sympathy for the tax payers who are been squeezed hard and are funding JSA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement