Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing Estates on the Dunmore road/Ballygunner area

Options
  • 11-07-2012 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hiya,

I am looking around at the mo at buying a house, getting the leg on the auld property market as they say :)
    Dunmore road area appeals to me quiet a bit simply due to its convenience to town, facilities in the area and potential to sell on (if the market decides to pick up in god knows when!)/rent in future years. :rolleyes:

I have my eye on a few places in Ardkeen Village, however friends have told me to stay clear of these as they were 'thrown up' at the time and people are having a lot of problems with them now at the moment. :confused:

I know whatever place I would eventually buy, I wil have a structural survey done of it but I am just wondering if anyone has any concrete advice on places i should avoid??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

I think Ardkeen village are ok, they are there a good 15 years now so they weren't part of the boom housing. If I were looking to buy, I'd probably look at Ardkeen Village, Collins Ave or Grantstown park. I know people living in each of those estates and they have never had structural problems...Some of the other estates are that bit older so you would need to consider double glazing/insulation etc if that has not already been done.

Good luck with the hunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

I live in Ardkeen village and did alot of renovations on the house, so I got a good feel for how it was built. I would actually rate the build quality better than most estates on the Dunmore Road. They are masonry built and not timber frame. In the timber framed houses of Collins avenue, alot of the sockets are coming loose from the walls as grounds were not used.

The five main faults/areas of expense to look out for in Ardkeen Village are:
    • Width of driveway. Most are only able to accommodate 1 car. You would need to budget for widening it.
    • If it has a garage and was converted (like many are), the walls of this garage are most likely not insulated.
    • Unless already changed to upvc, the timber fascia and soffit will need replacement.
    • The cement edging to the roof tiles is falling out on many houses. From what I can see, they failed to use an edge bead.
    • Some of the gardens can be quite wet.
    One final word of caution. Ardkeen Village is largely a rental estate. 70% of the houses on my street are rentals. This generally means that the houses are less well cared for and you will have changing neighbours on regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I would be very careful in mentioning names but there is one particular builder or building company who built in Ardkeen and alot of developments in Waterford and ive heard nothing but bad stories about the build quality of these homes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Plastic and round?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

mike65 wrote: »
    Plastic and round?

you had to throw that out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭caroline456

I would be very careful in mentioning names but there is one particular builder or building company who built in Ardkeen and alot of developments in Waterford and ive heard nothing but bad stories about the build quality of these homes!

I know whom you mean and I 100% agree. I wonder how comes they are still out there when other, far better building company is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Plastic and round?

I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him...

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Plastic and round?

Im still trying to figure this one out!!

The houses in Powercourt are nice imo and I've always loved Collins Avenue, I remember we couldn't afford them when they being sold first, I think it's a lovely estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

Plastic and round?

The houses in Powercourt are nice imo and I've always loved Collins Avenue, I remember we couldn't afford them when they being sold first, I think it's a lovely estate.
    Collins avenue is lovely. they were built in 1994. there are several different types of houses in the estate. at the front of the estate the houses are a bit bigger and concrete as opposed to wooden frame. Great residents association and i think less rentals then other estates. Grantstown park is another nice place and again a few different house types within the estate.
    Also there is a new estate being built in ballygunner and they have 4to 5 bed houses selling at fairly reasonable prices now. its called cnoc caislean.best of luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Hiya,

I am looking around at the mo at buying a house, getting the leg on the auld property market as they say :)
    Dunmore road area appeals to me quiet a bit simply due to its convenience to town, facilities in the area and potential to sell on (if the market decides to pick up in god knows when!)/rent in future years. :rolleyes:

I have my eye on a few places in Ardkeen Village, however friends have told me to stay clear of these as they were 'thrown up' at the time and people are having a lot of problems with them now at the moment. :confused:

I know whatever place I would eventually buy, I wil have a structural survey done of it but I am just wondering if anyone has any concrete advice on places i should avoid??
    Thanks

I don't think you have given the decision to buy much thought, have you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Dan133269 wrote: »
    I don't think you have given the decision to buy much thought, have you?

Yes I have, quite a bit actually

thomas01 wrote: »
    I live in Ardkeen village and did alot of renovations on the house, so I got a good feel for how it was built. I would actually rate the build quality better than most estates on the Dunmore Road. They are masonry built and not timber frame. In the timber framed houses of Collins avenue, alot of the sockets are coming loose from the walls as grounds were not used.

The five main faults/areas of expense to look out for in Ardkeen Village are:
    • Width of driveway. Most are only able to accommodate 1 car. You would need to budget for widening it.
    • If it has a garage and was converted (like many are), the walls of this garage are most likely not insulated.
    • Unless already changed to upvc, the timber fascia and soffit will need replacement.
    • The cement edging to the roof tiles is falling out on many houses. From what I can see, they failed to use an edge bead.
    • Some of the gardens can be quite wet.
    One final word of caution. Ardkeen Village is largely a rental estate. 70% of the houses on my street are rentals. This generally means that the houses are less well cared for and you will have changing neighbours on regular basis.

Thanks thomas01, thats ahigh proportion of rentals alright but the vast amaority of those im thinking would b people working in waterford as opposed to student rentals (not having a go at students now!)?? Thnx a mill, appreciate your info :)

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    Collins avenue is lovely. they were built in 1994. there are several different types of houses in the estate. at the front of the estate the houses are a bit bigger and concrete as opposed to wooden frame. Great residents association and i think less rentals then other estates. Grantstown park is another nice place and again a few different house types within the estate.
    Also there is a new estate being built in ballygunner and they have 4to 5 bed houses selling at fairly reasonable prices now. its called cnoc caislean.best of luck with your search.

Collins Avenue seems like a really nice estate but not many for sale at the mo. The ones that are for sale seem to be on the pricey side as far as Im concerned for the current market?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

If you took off them comfyknickers you would feel ' free as a bee ' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

If you took off them comfyknickers you would feel ' free as a bee ' ;)

And the penny drops!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Yes I have, quite a bit actually

You used the phrase - get your leg on the property market. I assume you mean get your foot on the property ladder? That ladder is going down, why would you board a sinking ship?

You acknowledged in your post that it's very unclear as to when the market will recover. So, why would you choose to buy a property at a higher price than you could get it for later? It's your personal choice obviously, I'm just curious as to why you don't want to save money, seeing as you have done your research, you say.

Data shows that prices rose in the last 3 months, but that's mainly in Dublin, and 3 months is only a blip in a market cycle. Maybe it will continue that way, but I doubt it, especially for Waterford. Dublin will recover first and then other cities, depending on their characteristics will recover later. We've been hit disproportionately hard in terms of job loss and emigration. I can't see the property market in Waterford recovering any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Question
    What sport includes for a dog to catch an object in its mouth ?

By the way, is this sport still played and is it in Ireland?

Whoops, sorry, wrong forum

Advertisement