Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One day of every month should be 'goverment day'.

• 11-07-2012 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

I have an idea that i think could help the country greatly.

One day of every month,lets say the third Friday of every month,everyone gives there days wages/dole etc to the goverment with which they use the pay of the country's debts.

Not only would this allow us the pay of our debts faster,but it would create a sense of pride and achievement.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

They already do that: it's called "taxes."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

dole

So... you get your dole and hand it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

One day of every month,lets say the third Friday of every month,everyone gives there days wages/dole etc to the goverment with which they use the pay of the country's debts.

Not only would this allow us the pay of our debts faster,but it would create a sense of pride and achievement.

What do you think?

As long as it's a public holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

The third week of every month you just get a day less in your dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Nope sorry, the third week of every month is cocaine week, I need the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Is that the best you could come up with Inda?

F*ck off on your tractor back to Mayo ya chancer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Or.. average that out over the month and call it a reduced dole.

Feck that, that's me electric picnic money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Having lived and paid taxes in ireland for many years, I moved away, now I pay higher taxes, but I can see where my money goes.
    Fantastic health service, transport system, a police force that keeps an extremely safe city, clean streets and so many subsidised activities for children as well as a free education system.
    I didn't get any of that in ireland for my taxes.

How on earth can you expect people to give more tax / Money to a government that gives nothing back ?

You be crazy yo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

How about the one's that got us in this mess give up a day's pay every week :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

And what am I supposed to gamble with down the ould 'turf accountants' on a Saturday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

What do you think?

Why not just give a weeks wages, an even bigger achievement for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

How about no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

my idea is to not do this

or instead

make government day more interesting.....how about once a month we get to vote on which member of the current dail at the time will have to compete for their lives in some sort of near future themed survival horror type live TV show (where they will actually die if they are not victorious - that's right)

all surviving members of the dail will be forced to contribute whatever portion of their wages is necessary to finance the initial set up and ongoing running costs and all future profits from the show will go towards the national debt

Having lived and paid taxes in ireland for many years, I moved away, now I pay higher taxes, but I can see where my money goes.
    Fantastic health service, transport system, a police force that keeps an extremely safe city, clean streets and so many subsidised activities for children as well as a free education system.
    I didn't get any of that in ireland for my taxes.

How on earth can you expect people to give more tax / Money to a government that gives nothing back ?

You be crazy yo

What country bro?

The thing is that we are so broke that we need to try and get rid of the debt and then build our country back up as fast as possible with a decent goverment.

I would even go as far to say that we could extend this idea to a day every week and get out of this mess asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

OP I love your idea!

How about me and you start the ball rolling. Just give me your money and i'll make sure the govt. get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

The government get enough of my wages already and following the budget in December they'll probably get more.

So in answer to your question, I don't think alot of your suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

What do you think?

Great idea, let's put the average working man/ woman into more debt to bail out the scumbag bankers/ developers/ politicians who got us into this mess in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

What country bro?

The thing is that we are so broke that we need to try and get rid of the debt and then build our country back up as fast as possible with a decent goverment.

I would even go as far to say that we could extend this idea to a day every week and get out of this mess asap.

Austria.

The government has shown Overwhelmingly what they do with a bit of cash floating around ... and it ain't putting it to good use.

The whole thing needs to be broken down and started again, to make a good omelette you need to crack eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Great idea OP, sadly though, the first 90 days of every year are already GOVT days for me, seeing as I work them to pay my basic taxes. so how about instead we make tomorrow "go feck yourself Omar ya dense thickee" day?

• Advertisement

Pottler wrote: »
    Great idea OP, sadly though, the first 90 days of every year are already GOVT days for me, seeing as I work them to pay my basic taxes. so how about instead we make tomorrow "go feck yourself Omar ya dense thickee" day?

Its better then your idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Just a small revision, maybe for three weeks of every month, all policitians should give back their salary and just take one weeks pay per month. It'd still be more than what I earn.

Its better then your idea.
    at least if you fecked yourself, you'd get to shout out your username for the very first time when it was true. Palmela aside. BTW, you are Leo Varadker, aren't you? Your idea would benefit the cuntry greatly though.

Pottler wrote: »
    at least if you fecked yourself, you'd get to shout out your username for the very first time when it was true. Palmela aside. BTW, you are Leo Varadker, aren't you? Your idea would benefit the cuntry greatly though.

wut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

the only problem is.....the government is spending too much.....

they just have to spend less......

there is nothing complicated about that.

wut?
    I'm just proposing an alternative to your idea. I like mine better. Have you tried taking multivitamins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I don't think someone who can't spell "government "should be allowed come up with silly ideas like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

What do you think?

i think that a lot of people live paycheque to paycheque as it is and taking one week away a month will force them to go to moneylenders in order to get their rent/morgage paid- get their shopping done etc

EDIT :Read that wrong thought you said they should give up a week of their money

But no i think we give them enough money through their dumbass made up taxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

If anyone was to do this it should be the criminals in the Dail. Not a chance of that happening though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

They already do that: it's called "taxes."

That's every day I'm afraid :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

What do you think?

would ya ever get a grip on yourself Omar? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

Let me guess - Omar lives at home with mammy and daddy and gets to keep lots of his take home pay to pay for nights out with his equally feckless mates.....

Now the reality for many people in Ireland -

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/third-of-consumers-borrowing-cash-to-pay-household-bills-3161889.html
    MORE than a third of consumers have had to borrow to pay their household bills in the past year and worryingly, one in 10 have resorted to moneylenders.

So, one days wages a month being given away will not make life any better for these people even if the government could do anything useful with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

What do you think?

I think you've done lost your damn fool mind omar.:D

I feel i've paid enough of various billionaires bills for them already, i'd be much happier with a situation where they paid mine, but i'm not crazy enough to expect that to ever happen.
    So i supposed i'd settle for them just paying their own.
    Seems reasonable enough to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Any chance of Omar going ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Tom wrote: »
    Let me guess - Omar lives at home with mammy and daddy and gets to keep lots of his take home pay to pay for nights out with his equally feckless mates.....

Now the reality for many people in Ireland -

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/third-of-consumers-borrowing-cash-to-pay-household-bills-3161889.html

So, one days wages a month being given away will not make life any better for these people even if the government could do anything useful with it.
    That's if you believe what's written in the Independent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

What do you think?
    I think you are either
    a) sick
    b) a troll
    or C) Angela Merkel
    and wtf do you mean OUR debts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I endorse this idea because with my current tax responsibility I contribute every second day's wages to the government. Heck, I would be happy to only contribute every 1 in 5 let alone 1 day of every month!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

What do you think?

I think you're obviously the Omar Little of tax collectors.

That's a stupid idea

Bad OP, bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

What do you think?

I think you will have a great career in the Civil Service :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Feck that, I'm already paying my taxes, and a 7% levy to help pay the country's debt.

A bigger sense or pride and achievement might be achieved if some of the currupt TDs and Ministers, the greedy developers, and fat-cat bankers took a little more of the blame and the hit, rather than leaving it to the millions of ordinary people to try and achieve it.
    What do you think?

See above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

What do you think?

Yes i think its a great idea,and another idea would be for government ministers to hand up a weeks pay out of their four weeks they could more than afford it being honest..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

We'd get more use out of that money if we burned it for heat rather than plough it into government coffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

The OP is trolling surely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I thought you where going to suggest people dedicate their time and get actively involved once a month. People could carry out cleaning and basic maintainence in their local community, they could do courses that would allow them to carry out more advanced local services. It would get people involved and caring about their local community and cost little while saving the cost of paying people to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

I genuinely hope you're trolling OP.

I would love to see some kind of initiative to get people aware, interested and involved in local and national politics more but if we're boiling it down to simply financial contributions I'd say people would be far more inclined to reduce the number of politicians at all stratas of politics, and then reduce the pay and benefits of the remainder.

Advertisement