Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jourdain gates and barriers

Options
  • 11-07-2012 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi all. I'm new to posting threads so hopefully i've done it right. We are in the process of starting a new slatted shed for suckler cows complete with a creep area. I have been looking at the jourdain heavy duty hinged feed barriers 76mm OD pipe and jourdain telescopic 5 bar gates for dividing the pens. They also do the creep gates and calving gates. They have a nice feature that can be put into there telescopic gates. A man escape gate. Teemore engineering supply them. Does anyone have any experience of these make of gates and barriers. The gates are all 60mm OD pipe with the telescopic part being 42mmOD. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

My only advice would be shop around, there was a fair bit of this stuff imported about three years back for the grants and not used/sold. Is it the lockable feed barrier?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

blue5000 wrote: »
    Is it the lockable feed barrier?

One thing I regret is not having lockable barriers, if only to stop calves going for a wander! But for handling cows they would make it much handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭happylad

blue5000 wrote: »
    My only advice would be shop around, there was a fair bit of this stuff imported about three years back for the grants and not used/sold. Is it the lockable feed barrier?

Thanks blue for your response. No its not the lockable barriers. It's the ordinary diagonal feed barrier but it's the heavy duty one. Saw them as an agricultural show recently and they looked good and heavy. The lockable ones look light IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

I have the Jourdain locking barriers. You need to have them securely bolted to the ground/stub wall in the centre of their span, as 7 / 8 big cows can put up a hell of a pull! The cattle got used to them very quickly, even animals with horns. I got them in Teemore, only problem was that I priced them on a Thursday evening at five to six pm and when i returned at 9 the next morning the price had went up by about €250. The guy who give the price wasn't in, and the girl in the office refused to believe me. Done everything but call me a liar in front of everyone. In the end I give her the cheque for her price, as I needed the barriers that day, but stopped the cheque and sent her one for the price I was quoted, along with a letter explaining why. Never heard a word from them. Get your quote in writing. Mack in Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

we got them a few years back for a slatted shed for the cows. put in 1 locking bariier and the rest fixed diaginols. The locking one is grest have used it for c-sections and for handeling cows, also very good if you are tryignt o double suckle (cows with too much milk) or needto draw the cows. would definatly recommend getting one. as previously posted you do need to secure the middle of the barrier, we welded a 90deg bracket to the barrier then bolted it to the stub wall.

also try to get one that has a leaver to push the locking meckinisim (from the end of the barrier (the barrier wont lock unless the cows drops her head (usually they pull out if you go over to push it when they are not used to putting their head out. if we need to get one out we put a small bit of nuts in a bucket in front of where we want the cow to tempt them out, if she still pull out then we put a long rope and stand back when she is out a it we pull to lock it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

I should also mention that I have also some Jourdain diagonal barriers. They are lighter than some other makes, but so far, (4 years) no problems. The barriers seem a little shorter than so other makes, the bracket to bolt to the sheds pillers is an L shaped piece which slide into the ends of the barrier top and bottom tubes, and then is held in place with a bolt, a bit like a grubb screw. This allows you adjust for slightly different lenghts of shed bay, but you lose a little feed space. Both ends of these barriers are bolted to the shed pillers, so not easy to use as a gate type barrier. The other diagonal barriers I have are by Mc Cartins engineering in Newtowngore, they are good and strong, much bigger tube diameter than the Jourdains, no problems ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

happylad wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm new to posting threads so hopefully i've done it right. We are in the process of starting a new slatted shed for suckler cows complete with a creep area. I have been looking at the jourdain heavy duty hinged feed barriers 76mm OD pipe and jourdain telescopic 5 bar gates for dividing the pens. They also do the creep gates and calving gates. They have a nice feature that can be put into there telescopic gates. A man escape gate. Teemore engineering supply them. Does anyone have any experience of these make of gates and barriers. The gates are all 60mm OD pipe with the telescopic part being 42mmOD. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    did you price gibney s oldcastle for barriers and gates - they do telescopic ones aswell - only downside to the telescopic gates they aint as easy to swing open if moving stock between pens

flatout11 wrote: »
    did you price gibney s oldcastle for barriers and gates - they do telescopic ones aswell - only downside to the telescopic gates they aint as easy to swing open if moving stock between pens

Ya I priced gibneys alright. They have very strong diagonal barriers with a very strong hinge mechanism for swinging the barriers open. The gates are good and strong too. Again telescopic. The only down side is all the gates they do are 4 bar. They don't really do the 5 bar gates I was told. There products are very good though. Only thing that swayed me away from them was no 5 bar gates. I agree that the telescopic gates would sag once opened but I have divided the 16ft ope between the creep and slatted area into a 6ft creep gate to be opened if moving cows in and out and 10ft pinned gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 flyingfarmer

Try Condon Engineering in Collon Co Louth. They make the same type.

www.condonengineering.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Have jourdain stuff..Moss Lane Abbeyfeale did the job, am pretty happy with it...would have liked to give it to o Donovans in Cork, but they were miles out on price. Didnt go for locking barriers, but 2 calving gates and head-gates between the 4 pens(one head gate serves 2 pens)..works a treat, and the cows can be held tight rather than the locking barrier where theyre free to move about if youre trying to milk them.. recipe for a good kick.
    OI hear Allenweld in North cork do good stuff too......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭gerico

I am in the process of purchasing Jourdain self lock feed barries and std barriers from Boohan agri in croom, The weld & material quality looks very good if not quite as heavy as some other suppliers.

He is more competative than some of the other bigger barrier fabricators. I visited a couple who were either out on price or just poor quality workmanship. Hopefully they are up to the job as I have no experience with Jourdain howvere a lot of neighbours have installed them aswell.
    Also purchasing semi auto Nugent crush gate off him as he was best priced locally for this. (def a lot better than the nearby co-ops)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mello adrian

Is it possible to get a jourdain anti backing gate for the crush. My crush is too long and its hard to handle a small number of cattle

Is it possible to get a jourdain anti backing gate for the crush. My crush is too long and its hard to handle a small number of cattle

Hi Ya,

I had same problem with crush but I got an anti backing gate from Barrett engineering in ballinasloe. So far no problems. It's all jourdain telescopic Gates I have in the crush. Check out there website about the antibacking gate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Hi Ya,

I had same problem with crush but I got an anti backing gate from Barrett engineering in ballinasloe. So far no problems. It's all jourdain telescopic Gates I have in the crush. Check out there website about the antibacking gate
    What feeding barriers did you go for and how are they working out? Splitting the ope nineteen the creep area and pen was a great idea. Have you a pic of it by any chance? Thinking of modifing dividing gate in the end pen to something like you mention.

Advertisement