Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol in early pregnancy

• 11-07-2012 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My husband and I are both 26, and we stopped using contraception 2.5 years ago.

Althought I haven't gotten pregnant, we're not too worried yet, as we still have time to explore other options for pregnancy. However, while we have not been actively trying to conceive, and have not been tracking dates etc, we're beginning to acknowledge that we may end up having problems (there are no previously known health issues on either side.)

I stopped drinking altogether for the first year. For the last 1.5 years, I've returned to normal drinking - with the occasional binge. :o

My periods are very regular, so if I was late, I'd stop drinking straight away.

How soon can alcohol affect a pregnancy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I'm not 100% on this but think 6-7 weeks as no transfer until then!

Lots of ppl don't know they are pregnant until then and so drink away. I think you have to life your life whilst TTC... Otherwise the stress be unhelpful..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I didn't find out I was pregnant until I was five weeks gone. I had done several tests as we were trying but all were negative, even two days before my pregnancy was confirmed in hospital. As I had no symptoms and no positive tests, I drank several times in the five weeks. No harm done here, and the nurses were very reassuring. I think once you're past the six-seven week mark is the time to be careful, but even at that medical advice would suggest unless you're drinking very, very heavily on a regular basis things will be fine.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ah, OP, ya need to have a drink once in a while - you'd go mad otherwise :D

On both weekends of my two week wait before I got my positive, I had family events to attend, and I decided I was going to have a good few drinks and put the TTC stress out of my mind. I'm normally a moderate/light drinker but those two nights I let my hair down.

Of course, cut out alcohol when you get your positive which will probably be about week 4 or 5 , but a drink or two before that is no harm. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I was like Neyite, we had been trying for so long and I was getting a bit down so due a family holiday and wedding, I just thought feck it and forgot about everything and drank loads and even started smoking again :o

Got my bfp that month...:D

Advertisement