Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im trying to get the best Bank

Options
  • 12-07-2012 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

that will not charge me current account fees

i heard something about Bank Of Ireland not charging you if you make 5 transactions

can anybody explain this

Any help appreciated , was thinking of going to Ulster Bank ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

faolteam wrote: »
    that will not charge me current account fees

i heard something about Bank Of Ireland not charging you if you make 5 transactions

can anybody explain this

Any help appreciated , was thinking of going to Ulster Bank ??
    You don't watch the news much do you? :confused:

http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-current-accounts/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Ulster Bank are by far the best when it comes to having free fees and good online banking. Pity about the recent disaster tho :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

when the dust settles i will open account and set up direct debits might even get there credit cards

Ps how much notice do i have to give my bank if i want to close the Account thanks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Raladic

If you are currently with another bank and want to move your accounts/direct debits/standing orders over to a new account with another bank, the new bank will gnerally assist you and in case of Ulster bank, do it all for you if you chose to do is.

There is no notice time required, you go to your bank and tell them you want to close your account.

i appreciate that

just tell me i have a credit card with bank of ireland due to expire in August 2012,

Was thinking of changing this as well , but dont want to be charged twice in April for two Cards just wondering best time to do this , thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Raladic

There is no annual fee on credit cards from Ulster Bank, so I assume you are talking about the Government Duty, in which case, you already paid for the duty for this year until April next year. If you cancel the one card, you should get a letter stating that, which you can hand to the new bank and they won't charge you stamp duty again.

More details here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/duties_and_vat/stamp_duty_on_financial_cards.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

When you cancel your old credit card BOI will collect the government stamp duty of €30 for your card from you for this year on your last bill. They will then issue to you by post a 'Letter of Closure'. You then give the 'Letter of Closure' to your new CC provider and they will then know not to collect any stamp duty from you in April 2013 as it has already been collected by BOI.

You get one of these letters everytime you move credit card. So you can keep moving provider as much as you like during the year and still only pay the stamp duty once. As long as you pass on the new 'Letter of Closure' from the old provider to the new provider each time.

The cards can also overlap each other, so you don't have to cancel one card before you get the next one. You will only be charged twice if you have two live cards on April 1st when the stamp duty is collected.

your so helpful.

Advertisement