Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 8 the Irish Shoreditch?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Dubmany

Used to live in Dublin 8, it's a bit like the curate's egg good in parts, bad in others. Kilmainham and Island Bridge are nice, other parts can be a bit rough (may be an understatement :-)).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

I wouldnt compare the area to Shoreditch. Shoreditch is all fairly newly renovated, very few trad bars and over priced eateries. It only caters mainly to a hipster crowd (nothing against that) but it is limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Everywhere in Dublin is becoming something, I had lunch in a really nice brunch/ lunch and small fancy grocer place in Rialto recently, is anywhere in Dublin not moving upmarket in some way?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

The only way is up? Since I got my e bike I've been exploring lots of Dirty Dublin especially places I haven't seen since the stone age (1970s). I seem for some perverse lol reason to be drawn to the less than leafy areas. Yesterday I came across one of the worst flat complexes yet seen, It was near Rialto ..possibly Crumlin but being a northsider, I'm not really sure of the codes or suburb demarcation lines. Not far from St Teresa gardens but not the same. I saw the new units that some years back replaced some blocks in St Teresas...they look good. Tons of building going on along Cork St but sure is a lot of dereliction still about. I lived in the north inner city in the dreary 80s and thought that was the worst but there are whole swathes of south inner city which these days seem worse. Lots happening in Kilmainham and Islandbridge (really like the complex built just south of the river near the bridge and opposite the entrance to the Memorial Gardens). Diageo building a huge block beside the Guinness Hop Store. ..new hospital St James going up...new cop hq in Kilmainham etc etc etc. Stuff happening on Thomas St ..and the strp down to the river quay but again a long way to go. Hope the economy holds because the scale of dereliction and crappy housing and general third world infrastructure in this city is something to behold. But hey its moving up and ..it could be worse. I lived in NYC in the 80s...wow what a dangerous shithole that was.

Advertisement