Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Charity/Pub/Fun Quizzes, Fun anymore? Since Smartphones.

• 12-07-2012 2:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

Were they ever?

I just arrived home from a charity quiz tonight, and the fun was sapped out of it, as everyone had a smart phone. EVERY QUESTION (Even the ones you should know), People had their phones out, and googled it. :(

I can remember going to Quizzes with my friends, and they were a bit of craic, also the possibility of meeting a few members of the opposite sex was good, as people would be weaving around tables looking for answers to the questions, and interacting with each other.

Tonight was just boring..

Is it just me, or are they crap now? (Or were they always crap?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

so who won if everyone was using the internet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I'm great at general knowledge, love pub quizzes. If people were cheating it would ruin it.

I haven't been to one in years, But if there was no cheating it would still be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

batistuta9 wrote: »
    so who won if everyone was using the internet?

They picked answer sheets out of the DJ's hand at random.

(Nearly everyone got 60 out of 60 - 6 rounds of ten Questions)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

I thought now people had to put their phone in a pint glass in the middle of the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

do one weekly in the local Irish bar. no one uses their phones, honour system but it works. the missus suggested checking an answer on tues and the three of us all gave her huge amounts of **** for even suggesting it.

(signal is terrible in the pub too for some reason, which helps)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I thought now people had to put their phone in a pint glass in the middle of the table.

That would ruin the phone.

Rochey18 wrote: »

Something like that would've been a good idea.

The people hosting the quiz, raffle and Music afterwards were hired, thought they would've thought of something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

That would ruin the phone.

You should bring your phone back if it cant be put in a glass :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Allyall wrote: »
    They picked answer sheets out of the DJ's hand at random.

(Nearly everyone got 60 out of 60 - 6 rounds of ten Questions)

fúck that. for a quiz like that - nothing too serious - googling 1 or 2 answers maybe but that whole lot thats taking the piss, spell checking something or using the calculator isn't even too bad

what did the DJ or whoever ran it say about it?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    fúck that. for a quiz like that - nothing too serious - googling 1 or 2 answers maybe but that whole lot thats taking the piss, spell checking something or using the calculator isn't even too bad

what did the DJ or whoever ran it say about it?

He laughed it off.. Some comment about the broadband bill in the place..
    Then went on to tell everyone the winner was being drawn at random.

I don't care about the money in etc.. as that was all going to charity. It just kinda ruined the "buzz" of the quiz, as i knew it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

just make a rule that if anyone has a phone out, they get DQ'd

simple

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Whats the point of these twats taking part in the quiz if they're just going to cheat? I love quiz's but I hate when people ruin it like that. I would have walked out tonight OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

That would annoy me.

I hate those cnuts that go round trying to copy everyone else's answers too.

Advertisement